What's new

College Athletes Making the Grade or Making a Buck?

As for athletes getting a break on classes and grades. . .

I'm sure it happens, but the athletes my colleagues have had in classes here at MSU have all attended class, done their work and tried their best. They may not all be 4.0 students or be pre-med or law majors, but they are decent kids who are under a much bigger microscope than the average college student, and for the most part acquit themselves and the university quite well.

Just FYI, but our scholarship students in music not only must manitain above a 3.0 GPA to retain their financial aid packages, but are also required to perform in several music department ensembles, many of which rehearse up to 10 additional hours per week (and most scholly students are in multiple ensembles).

The hours can really add up if we are producing an opera or a big jazz production.

I'd guess that other disciplines have similar kinds of obligations attached to their scholarships.

Interesting. I would bet that students receiving scholarships for any performance based criterion (sports, music, band, cheer, etc.) have activities that they are obligated to.

My prior comments were steered toward those receiving aid strictly based on scholastic achievement. My wife attended college on a merit scholarship and her experience was such that she had only to maintain a set GPA to continue receiving aid.

Top Bottom