What's new

College student would like some advice...

Hello there, I'm 17, and I'm in my second semester of my first year here at a private school in NYC. I'm not to happy about being here, because when I applied to college back in high school my school of choice rejected me. Now you could say to try for that school, but I don't think it's a smart choice.

I would very much like to attend Columbia University, but I'm not sure I would get in, with my grades and lack of work experience. I'm going to work on my GPA this semester, but I'm still not sure if that would even get me in.

I've never really liked NYC, and I happen to be an Australian citizen. During this winter break I went to three cities in Australia and I decided I really liked it. I could shoot for some universities in either Melbourne and Sydney. Australia has a program where you can either pay a lump sump for school before the 4 years and get 25% off, or pay for it after the 4 years, during which I could put the money in a bank.

I'm originally from Hong Kong, so Australia will be closer to home for me. The only thing stopping me from moving to Australia is the fact that I'm in New York, the city of fast money.

I could completely give up my dreams of Columbia, and go ahead and have a happier college experience in Australia (less of a financial burden, closer to home, better weather, relaxed people), or continue living in NY, with the hope that I might one day switch to Columbia.

B&B, what do you think of this?

Have you talked to the admission office at Columbia? If you haven't you should give them a call. Maybe make an appointment to go talk with someone. A fair number of transfers are made after first and second years, but far less after that. Find out what your odds really are. Of course they won't tell you anything for certain. If you really want to go and can afford to do so, go ahead and apply. The worst they could do is to say no.

I'd also think about why I'm unhappy with my current school. What do you think you're going to find at another place that you don't have where you are? If you are learning things and have made friends, you should take that into account. Transferring into a new place in your third year presents difficulties of its own. People have already created long term groups of friends and are well on their way to courses in their majors. You are going to have to work harder than most of your peers for a while in order to establish yourself.

Columbia is a fantastic school--there's no doubt of that. But the Ivies aren't the only game in town. For most students, college is what you make of it. You can probably make valuable connections at an elite university, but they aren't the only schools that have successful alumni either.

Personally, I think that sometimes you just have to let go of the things that didn't work out and make the things you have work out. Without knowing more about you or what you're doing, I'm reluctant to say anything else. As far as going back to school in Australia, I don't know much about that.

Good luck with your plans. In the end, whatever you choose to do will lead you down an interesting path.

Mate, come attend either Sydney Uni or UTS (University of Technology, Sydney).
If you're cashed up, pay the HELP up-front, if not defer it.

From what I can work out, an undergrad's $$ stretch further in Australia than they do in NYC.

What is it about "the city of fast money" that is keeping you there? The fact you are constantly broke, the opportunities you think you will have of being with/near the "right person" while you are studying?

It might help if you told us what you were intending to study.

Legion

Staff member
Depending on what courses you want to do, the Australian National University in Canberra is a nice campus, and is actually ranked as one of the top universities in the world.

Last edited:
Have you talked to the admission office at Columbia? If you haven't you should give them a call. Maybe make an appointment to go talk with someone. A fair number of transfers are made after first and second years, but far less after that. Find out what your odds really are. Of course they won't tell you anything for certain. If you really want to go and can afford to do so, go ahead and apply. The worst they could do is to say no.

I'd also think about why I'm unhappy with my current school. What do you think you're going to find at another place that you don't have where you are? If you are learning things and have made friends, you should take that into account. Transferring into a new place in your third year presents difficulties of its own. People have already created long term groups of friends and are well on their way to courses in their majors. You are going to have to work harder than most of your peers for a while in order to establish yourself.

Columbia is a fantastic school--there's no doubt of that. But the Ivies aren't the only game in town. For most students, college is what you make of it. You can probably make valuable connections at an elite university, but they aren't the only schools that have successful alumni either.

Personally, I think that sometimes you just have to let go of the things that didn't work out and make the things you have work out. Without knowing more about you or what you're doing, I'm reluctant to say anything else. As far as going back to school in Australia, I don't know much about that.

Good luck with your plans. In the end, whatever you choose to do will lead you down an interesting path.

The reason why I applied to my current school was it's proximity to my home, and the fact that my sister would be attending her final semester, so it was a relatively easy/comfortable transition into my college career. The fact that a good portion of my high school friends applied here also helped. Now that my family has moved far, far away, and my sister has graduated, I'm trying to find legitimate reasons as to why I should continue staying here.

I'm not afraid of applying to Columbia, I just don't think it's the right time. Simple questions such as, "Where have you worked?" or, "What is your GPA?" would quickly force me into a corner.

I plan on getting an internship no matter what this summer, and I plan to go all out on my grades this semester. I might have a fighting chance, after this semester.

Mate, come attend either Sydney Uni or UTS (University of Technology, Sydney).
If you're cashed up, pay the HELP up-front, if not defer it.

From what I can work out, an undergrad's $$ stretch further in Australia than they do in NYC.

What is it about "the city of fast money" that is keeping you there? The fact you are constantly broke, the opportunities you think you will have of being with/near the "right person" while you are studying?

It might help if you told us what you were intending to study.

I originally applied for a degree in journalism but I am transition to my school's section of business, particularly economics.

Columbia's General Studies program is sort of a back door for people who are "non traditional students." I don't know if you're an ideal candidate as you're only 17, but you could look into it. The regular school is difficult to get into. You're talking above a 3.5 GPA, at least.

But here's the thing, you say you don't like NYC. Well, if you attend Columbia, you'll still be in NYC. NYC is not the city of fast money. Not when you're a college student. It's very difficult to get a job here without a college degree. Trust me, I know. Given the economy, it's going to be difficult to get a job even with a degree from Columbia. You can always go to school elsewhere and then move back here, afterwards.

Hello there

• I would like...to attend Columbia
  • I'm not happy about being here (NYC)
  • I've never....liked NYC
  • Australia....I really like it
  • The only thing stopping me from moving to Australia....I'm in New York
  • I could completely give up my dreams of Columbia, and go ahead and have a happier college experience in Australia (less of a financial burden, closer to home, better weather, relaxed people).....

You may have answered your own question within your question.

Four years is a long time to live some place you don't like and are unhappy. I believe some things happen for a reason. Maybe you weren't meant to go to Columbia?

Our son dreamed of going to Texas A&M when he was growing up. His older sister went there first, a few years ahead of him, but when his time came to go, even though he'd been accepted, he decided to go to another school to "blaze his own trail". He later changed his mind and tried to transfer in to Texas A&M, but he couldn't get accepted again. He tried each semester for two years, and never got in. But he did well in school, met the girl who is now his wife, and now has a great job and is happy things turned out the way they did.

Don't assume there is only one path, or dream, you can follow to be happy. Sometimes you make choices, sometimes others choose for you. Whatever you decide, make the most of it and do your best to succeed and be happy.

There is some very good advice in this thread already about taking a legit shot at Columbia and then heading back to where you seem like you'd be happiest. At such a young age, I hope you have the wisdom to recognize the value of the advice you've been given here.

This one, single choice (which school) will not preclude you from being a success if you want to be a success. Can it open doors? Sure. Is it the only key? Absolutely not.

You have a lot of life still ahead of you. Don't get too caught up in the idea that there is "this one school" that can help you. Sounds like there are some posters here from Down Under who might have some very keen insight into the strength of the schools there. You should probably hit them up via PM or email and try to get some direction.

Good luck with the choice. I know it seems daunting right now, but, honestly, your life can be just as fulfilling and rewarding down a different path than the one you are focused on.

As someone who has spent the last 5 years doing something I don't really like, I strongly urge you to go where you'll be happy. Having the prestige of being in Columbia won't be worth much if you can't really stand being there, and it sounds like you can be happy and still get a good degree in Australia.

My final advice would be don't meditate on this too long. The longer you stay at your current school, the more unlikely it becomes that you'll be able to successfully transfer. At a certain point, you either have to fish or cut bait. Besides, dragging out the decision is just going to get in the way of you enjoying your life.

Perhaps you are more conflicted about the difference between a relaxed lifestyle or the fast money. If you've never really liked NYC, I think that makes your decision a little easier.

NYC is a rough place. I was born there, was a cop there for 10 years and still live in the area. Its not for everyone. Dont sell yourself short and think you cant get into Columbia. I have seen some of the kids that go there. Things are different these days. If you want to go to an Ivy League school and stay in the NYC than just pull the trigger and suck it up for 4 years.. then move back home with the Columbia degree.
If living in the city itself is whats getting to you, then try finding a place outside the city in NJ or in the outer boros where its less crazy, unless you luck out and get housing there.

Go to uni in Australia, you sound pretty much sold already, get great grades, do postgraduate studies at Columbia. The name on your undergraduate degree matters much less than your postgrad, assuming you want one

If someone in admitance at Columbia is willing to talk to you then go and have an honest discussion without pretense. Don't look at it as a test of your credentials. Look at it as a chance to get the inside scoop. If they won't agee to make time for you then at least you tried. But to not even try would be sad!

Last edited:
For most students, college is what you make of it.

This is the best advice I could give. I'm in college right now and this is what my dad has always told me. College isn't just about getting an education, it's also about opening your mind to the world around you and learning to think in different ways. If done right, college should teach you street smarts as well as book smarts.

Good luck with whichever choice you make. Do what makes you happy. :thumbup1:

Sorry for abandoning this thread, I've sort of ditched my regular internet routine since getting into college.

You may have answered your own question within your question.

You're right...there have been times where I've thought - Ok, time to go to Australia, and sometimes, it's - I'm staying. I do know the answer but I'm not sure if it's a good one or not.

Out of curiosity, what specifically draws you so much to Columbia?

The name. Nothing but. Something nice to go along with my name when my parents talk to their friends. A familiar yet prestigious name overseas. The draw of living in the big city.

My final advice would be don't meditate on this too long. The longer you stay at your current school, the more unlikely it becomes that you'll be able to successfully transfer.

I completely agree, hopefully I'll have an answer by the end of this semester.

If you want to go to an Ivy League school and stay in the NYC than just pull the trigger and suck it up for 4 years.. then move back home with the Columbia degree.

I've told myself to stop complaining and suck it up, but I keep thinking back to that trip I made to Australia over Christmas break, and how nice I thought Australia was.

Go to uni in Australia, you sound pretty much sold already, get great grades, do postgraduate studies at Columbia. The name on your undergraduate degree matters much less than your postgrad, assuming you want one

One of my Australian friends told me the same thing, but for some reason I think transferring into Columbia domestically would be easier than transferring from abroad, as I would have competition from international students.

If someone in admitance at Columbia is willing to talk to you then go and have an honest discussion without pretense. Don't look at it as a test of your credentials. Look at it as a chance to get the inside scoop. If they won't agee to make time for you then at least you tried. But to not even try would be sad!

I'd love to have an honest discussion with no pretense, but I'm not sure if I would receive such treatment at an Ivy League...

I guess I'll just focus on schoolwork, which is probably the most important thing right now.

I may be biased... But come down under. College is what you make it. If you like it here, and lets face it - who wouldntnt - it can hurt to at least apply to a few places.

If your only reason is the name, you'll only make yourself miserable and waste your time. Don't bother. The people who go to these big name schools who are happy and make something of it aren't the ones going just because of the name. Trust me. When I was going to school (MIT), the truly miserable ones were these nameseekers. The rest enjoyed their time, even if it was hard. Do something that you will find fulfilling. It's much more worthwhile.

Umm, you should go to Australia, it seems clear.

You don't like NYC, have no desire for anything about Columbia aside from it's name, and NYC is expensive. It makes no sense to stay. Going to a school strictly for the name is...silly, to say the least.

You're likely to be equally as unhappy at Columbia as you are now.

Top Bottom