What's new

Stuff I like

IMG_4573.jpeg

I had an idea for a thread. Being a homeowner for 40 years I have found some things I like that have saved me time and money. I thought it would be cool if we could post things we like. Everyday stuff. Doesn’t have to be anything specific, just something you use everyday to make life easier. So here is my first one. It’s this silicone gripper for the shower. It keeps the hair out and I just clean it everyday. Takes a second and no more hair clogged hard to clean drain. If the mods don’t think this is a good idea then it can be deleted.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
View attachment 1801411
I had an idea for a thread. Being a homeowner for 40 years I have found some things I like that have saved me time and money. I thought it would be cool if we could post things we like. Everyday stuff. Doesn’t have to be anything specific, just something you use everyday to make life easier. So here is my first one. It’s this silicone gripper for the shower. It keeps the hair out and I just clean it everyday. Takes a second and no more hair clogged hard to clean drain. If the mods don’t think this is a good idea then it can be deleted.

Good idea.
My wife has very long hair which is trouble for the upstairs drain (and the robo-vac), and we have two dogs that each shed two dogs worth of hair in the basement shower when cleaned.
This seems like a simple fix.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I only use it twice a year, but a bunch of fiberglass rods with threaded ends and a brush for cleaning the dryer vent is pretty neat. My duct has a pretty long run with a few bends, and this handles them. After brushing the vent I run the leaf blower into it to finish the job.

I only use it twice a year, but a bunch of fiberglass rods with threaded ends and a brush for cleaning the dryer vent is pretty neat. My duct has a pretty long run with a few bends, and this handles them. After brushing the vent I run the leaf blower into it to finish the job.
When we bought our house several years ago it was a situation where we had a ton of stuff to do before moving in. Shortly after moving in my wife commented that the clothes weren’t drying. I have a long run and once cleaned out I had a 5 gallon bucket of lint. It’s a miracle our house didn’t burn down. I am like you I clean the run twice a year. Never thought about a leaf blower. I am due for a cleaning next month.

My wife also has really long hair. I've got a Tub Schroom that catches the hair in the shower. I used to pull a small rat out of the drain every 8 months or so, but haven't to for years since getting the tub schroom.

An induction stovetop has been a great addition. I've used the old electric coils, electric glass top, and gas and the induction easily beats all three. It's much quicker cooking and easier to clean and doesn't heat up the kitchen as much to boot. I was so impressed by our new range that I bought my mother an induction hotplate and she uses it more than her stove now.

A bidet. My wife absolutely loves this. If you ask her what her favorite gifts are that I've gotten her were she'd say the bidet and far behind (hehe) is the heated blanket. Ladies will prefer one with a directional jet or two jets.

I switched out the bathroom outlet for one with a tiny built in LED nightlight GFCI. It gives off just the right amount of light for a middle of the night pee run. I love that little sucker.

Motion activated kitchen facet. Got eggs on your hands? Been handling meat? You'll appreciate one of these. It's more of a luxury item though since there's plenty of facets you can turn on with other parts of your arm. I've gotten so used to it that I keep finding myself swiping my hand above facets at other places lol.

Not used daily, but gets lots of use...

I installed outside electrical outlets on the sides of my house and they get used a ton.

A cheap hobby vise. I tried one at a friends house and thought it was trash. I wound up getting one for free to use up my Sears points and finally mounted it one day out of boredom. I misjudged it originally and expected too much from it. It's awesome for light to light-medium tasks. I have serious woodworking and metal working vises, but it probably sees the most use and I definitely recommend one to every homeowner. Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Tools-Woodworkers-Vise-226361/dp/B0001LQY4E?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

Last edited:
Staying in the bathroom. We have hard chlorinated water and this makes all the difference. You really notice the difference in how your skin and hair feel. Super easy install, you might need and extension if you have a smaller shower.
IMG_4588.jpeg
IMG_4586.jpeg

Is this a good product to use for small cuts and abrasions on the hand? Allowing one to wash their hands or a few things in the sink without worrying about a soggy band-aid?
Terrific product which combines antibiotic and sealant (somewhat like super glue). For many years, I've used it for all minor cuts and major slices anywhere on the body. Allows cuts to heal from the inside out. It's especially useful for hard-to-bandage areas like hangnails. Cosmetically, it's transparent.

Not entirely waterproof. Water resistant. Can apply multiple coats to increase endurance. Best to arrest flowing blood before applying (using styptic).

This product qualified for my list for kids and grandkids: Must Haves From a Lifetime.

Last edited:
One more liquid bandage tip: If you can tolerate the sting (from the antibiotic), use the tips of the included brush to work the material into the inside of the cut as well as the outside surface.

Top Bottom