What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Good observation, but it seems that those handles may be a mis match. I really cant see them that clearly, but they seem to have the polished upper band flat shoulder design which goes with the New Deluxe models not the New models.

View attachment 425132
You're right, they are indeed "shoulderless" and belong to the Deluxe "flat bottoms." Good spotting, Alex!
:thumbup1:

You're right, they are indeed "shoulderless" and belong to the Deluxe "flat bottoms." Good spotting, Alex!
:thumbup1:

Good observation, but it seems that those handles may be a mis match. I really cant see them that clearly, but they seem to have the polished upper band flat shoulder design which goes with the New Deluxe models not the New models.

View attachment 425132

Dang...you guys are good!....looks like I joined the right club for once

That's why Alex is the Brotherhood's official KOK- Keeper Of Knowledge!

$uploadfromtaptalk1394941060136.jpg

Joel; From the left, your 2nd & 3rd razor have the handle that is unknurled at top. I'm not saying they are rare, but in looking on Ebay they don't seem very common, either. I have one and prize it. Check mr-razor, Gillette NEW website. Achim is a B&B member. This handle is shown in the "red & black" sets.

You have sharp eyes, Mike. Here's a better shot of the two razors in question. Notice that the one on the right has the flat shoulder while the one on the left is more rounded. Interestingly, the 1934? Red & Black Set has the rounded shoulder while the 1934 Red & Black DeLuxe has the square shoulder; however, the DeLuxe looks to be a SC. I'm finding these things in the wild and it seems that almost more often than not, I'm picking up things that are mismatched. Interestingly again, I don't have a SC base plate that matches the logo and patent printing shown in the DeLuxe photo, but the LC base plates I have, both shown here, match the imprinting exactly. Would the Red & Black DeLuxe come in both the SC and LC varieties?

The case that I have definitely isn't a Red & Black. Heck, when I bought the razor, the store owner had a Tech sitting in the case. Fortunately, she had what looks like the R&B DeLuxe LC (?) razor as part of a 9 razor bundle I swooped up.

$IMG_1444.jpg$IMG_1445.jpg$IMG_1446.jpg

All ya'll have sharp eyes. Sorry, Alex, didn't notice your post before responding to Mike. I was beginning to feel bad about posting those pics with all of the razors, kind of felt like bragging for such a newbie, even though I know there're members with tons more razors. But, when you discover lessons like this, I'll not complain.

Thanks for all the insight.

Alright, I just noticed a discrepancy. The head that I have on the R&B DeLuxe doesn't match the head shown in the R&B DeLuxe image on Mr. Razor. Notice the notch ridge on my base plate. This does match the 1934? R&B image, however. So, it would appear that I've score, yet again, a mismatched piece. Crazy. I'm beginning to think that Texans were a little too practical to keep things matched up.

$IMG_1448.jpg

Alright, one more photo and I'll shut up about this. The razor on the left looks like a properly matched 1934? R&B. The left one has the 1934 R&B DeLuxe handle with the 1934? R&B head.

$IMG_1449.jpg

All ya'll have sharp eyes. Sorry, Alex, didn't notice your post before responding to Mike. I was beginning to feel bad about posting those pics with all of the razors, kind of felt like bragging for such a newbie, even though I know there're members with tons more razors. But, when you discover lessons like this, I'll not complain.

Thanks for all the insight.
This is the Oxford model case that takes the Ball End Handle NEW razor.

attachment.php

proxy.php

Alright, one more photo and I'll shut up about this. The razor on the left looks like a properly matched 1934? R&B. The left one has the 1934 R&B DeLuxe handle with the 1934? R&B head.

View attachment 425209
The handles and head combo can indicate what model the razor is from, but we will need the cases to determine that. The Oxford case that you have takes a Ball End Handle NEW razor from 1930.

proxy.php

[ there is also a Made in England Oxford model]
proxy.php

The Bar Handles that are attached to your NEW heads may have a variety of models that it may belong to, you will need the actual cases to see what they are.

Such as a NEW Bostonian, 1933/Exposition, Red and black, Blue Gold, set takes the Common Bar Handles/rounded shoulders too
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

The Common Bar Handle shouldered razor is on the Red and Black NEW Deluxe model

proxy.php

You did notice the crooked teeth .....

I had noticed the bent teeth on the end. What wasn't immediately noticable are the bent teeth in the middle, which the photo makes apparent.

it's still better off than this one:

$IMG_1450.jpg

The bottom line is that I don't have the cases, so we may have gone as far as we can. Thanks for all your help.

So, this is the razor that goes with that case?

$IMG_1451.jpg

mswofford

Rest in Peace

View attachment 425209
Joel; that picture clears it up, the right hand razor has a Deluxe "shoulderless" handle. The Deluxe guard plate resembles the short comb but is flat bottomed, a different design in 2 widths: 15mmand 17mm. Now I'll shut up about this.:blush:

I had noticed the bent teeth on the end. What wasn't immediately noticable are the bent teeth in the middle, which the photo makes apparent.

The bottom line is that I don't have the cases, so we may have gone as far as we can. Thanks for all your help.

Yes, it goes with the case, which makes it a Oxford model......in most instances, the case is what makes the models set, not the razors.

proxy.php

attachment.php

View attachment 425213

Since this does not have patent numbers it was made around 1929-30. In 1930 AutoStrop owner Geisman took over Gillette and merged with Autostrop in 1930 and the razors had the probak patent numbers. Any patent numbers on the NEW razors meant it was made after 1930.

Joel; that picture clears it up, the right hand razor has a Deluxe "shoulderless" handle. The Deluxe guard plate resembles the short comb but is flat bottomed, a different design in 2 widths: 15mmand 17mm. Now I'll shut up about this.:blush:
Here is a NEW Deluxe thread http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/202691-New-Deluxe-thread

attachment.php

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/161593-Red-and-Black-New-Deluxe-sets?highlight=deluxe
Yes, here are the Deluxe model variations and sets
attachment.php

Since this does not have patent numbers it was made around 1929-30. In 1930 AutoStrop owner Geisman took over Gillette and merged with Autostrop in 1930 and the razors had the probak patent numbers. Any patent numbers on the NEW razors meant it was made after 1930.

There is a patent date just above the ball on the handle. It's difficult to make out since some of the characters are worn but I think it says Patent Jan. 13, 1920 over Patent Pending.

That explains a lot, I think. Thanks.

Think, like a Chevrolet car, it has the same motor but different body. A Chevy Camaro has the same motor as Chevy Impala, but the bodies makes them different models or styles.......the razors are the same, but the cases is what makes the razor have a different name/model set. The same NEW razor comes in many different cases which have a different name. Yours is the NEW Oxford razor set.

here are the NEW models

Last edited:
Think, like a Chevrolet car, it has the same motor but different body. A Chevy Camaro has the same motor as Chevy Impala, but the bodies makes them different models or styles.......the razors are the same, but the cases is what makes the razor have a different name/model set. The same NEW razor comes in many different cases which have a different name. Yours is the NEW Oxford razor set.

Got it. The amazing thing is that I bought the razor and the box about 2 months apart from two different stores. LOL

Top Bottom