What's new

Balin's Brushes, Blades and Assorted Baloney!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
We weren't able to celebrate our oldest son's birthday because they are doing the digital nomad thing in Croatia at the moment...

I'm glad you've been able to have birthday celebrations with your sons... That's always a special time. Happy birthday wishes to them both... and to your daughter as well.

We weren't able to celebrate our oldest son's birthday because they are doing the digital nomad thing in Croatia at the moment...

I'm glad you've been able to have birthday celebrations with your sons... That's always a special time. Happy birthday wishes to them both... and to your daughter as well.

When there’s brisket, there’s success! Happy belated birthday to your son!
Thanks guys!!

Well, Happy BD to the boy and to you. At my age I'm happy to not remember or celebrate my rapidly accumulating years...hah!
gif-of-a-happy-birthday-party-for-a-cat-with-a-party-hat-and-cake-and-everything.gif

SOTD:
L'Oreal Something or other
Proraso white preshave
Tabac
Tabac Splash
WR1 .67 OC with IP handle
Sputnik 3
Shavemac D01 22/46
IMG_20240310_171509.jpg

Ratings 4/5 Comfortable DFS

It was an average uneventful shave today, which I like. The Sputnik worked fine but I don't feel like pushing it past 3 shaves still. I would rank this as an average blade. I don't think I will stock up on Sputniks but I am glad I was able to try them.

The D01 3 band was a delight to use today. I think the reason I love this configuration is I had the brush figured out on the first shave. The 22mm knot holds the perfect amount of water after 1 shake and has enough backbone for hard soaps. It splays well and is not too big for face lathering!! The colour compliments the Interstellar Peacock handle well too 🤣.

Its Oscar night!! You know the night when millionaires get together to promote themselves and act as a big commercial for the whole movie industry 🤣. I am going to sit in judgement tonight on all the facial hair choices and eat hors d'oeuvres for dinner. It might be a family ritual 🤣.

Cheers! 🥂

I didn't watch but how were the facial hair choices, Andrew? 😆
There were fewer of the hipster bushy beards than the previous years, so that trend seems to waning!! 🤣

We watch the show every year and make our picks prior to the envelope reading. It ticks my wife and daughter off when I get the random short animation, or sound editing picks right just from excerpts considering nobody ever pays attentions to those 🤣. My wife's previous career was as a make up artist so its always fun for us to watch.

SOTD:
Proraso white preshave
Tabac
Tabac Splash
Racer 1
Chubby 1 Super
1000005149.jpg

Ratings 4/5 Comfortable DFS

I thought I might have ended up with a BBS but was denied 😕. I could probably add a touch up pass for my neck sworls of doom!! The shave was comfortable and perfectly presentable so that is good enough with a new blade!!

I found my brush scrubbier than usual today. I used my D01 22/46 yesterday so I am blaming that! I have often thought that the Shavemac D01 3 band knots would fall between the Simpson Super and 2 band Silvertip grades and today was more data to add to that opinion. Maybe on the weekend I will attempt a 3 brush shave. It borders on insanity, I know 🤣.

Cheers!

SOTD:
Proraso white preshave
Tabac
Tabac Splash
Racer 2
Semogue TSN LE Finest
1000005165.jpg

Rating 5/5 Comfortable BBS

I was nicely surprised today with a BBS shave with no irritation even after pushing with a touch up pass along the jawline and under my chin 😄. I really like the artwork on this tuck of blades. It just screams the 1980's to me! I also enjoy the irony of using a relatively inexpensive blade in a relatively expensive razor to achieve great results 😂.

Today I used my TSN Finest brush but I think I may enjoy the Mistura more. Thank goodness they have different numbers on the bottom or I would have a heck of a time telling them apart. I am tempted to order a Mistura in the Pegasus line when they are released by Semogue, but I should probably get more familiar with what I have first.

I don't really talk about soaps much, but Tabac is pretty much the standard I compare all other soaps to. The scent is polarizing but its a hit with the Mrs, but that may not say much as she also likes ' The VEG ', 🤣. So far I am not chosen by ' The VEG ' but I still have to try decanting it to a glass container. I will get around to it one day.

I am off to take the dogs for a walk as we don't often get 16C days this early in March so I am going to take advantage of it.

Cheers!!

SOTD:
Proraso white preshave
Tabac
Tabac Splash
Racer 3
Shavemac D01 24/50
1000005172.jpg

Rating 4/5 Comfortable DFS

Sorry for the blurry picture I was stifling a sneeze and I didn't have my glasses on so it looked OK to me 🤣.

I think my back up Shavemacs are now firmly in my primary rotation. I am digging these handle colours!!

The shave today was good but it wasn't perfect but I am not going to obsess about it because it was a late shave and I will have an early one tomorrow morning. I am going to try the Racer in my WR1 .74 tomorrow to see if that ups the efficiency a little.

@JKaboom why did you post that thread about how many brushes and razors do you have? I only like to look in the mirror when I am shaving 🤣. I realized I didn't answer the why part in thread, but now looking at the numbers 41 brushes, my mother was born in 1941 and 43 razors lines up with my father being born in 1943. So that is my why answer 🤣.

Cheers!!

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
SOTD:
Proraso white preshave
Tabac
Tabac Splash
Racer 3
Shavemac D01 24/50
View attachment 1812520
Rating 4/5 Comfortable DFS

Sorry for the blurry picture I was stifling a sneeze and I didn't have my glasses on so it looked OK to me 🤣.

I think my back up Shavemacs are now firmly in my primary rotation. I am digging these handle colours!!

The shave today was good but it wasn't perfect but I am not going to obsess about it because it was a late shave and I will have an early one tomorrow morning. I am going to try the Racer in my WR1 .74 tomorrow to see if that ups the efficiency a little.

@JKaboom why did you post that thread about how many brushes and razors do you have? I only like to look in the mirror when I am shaving 🤣. I realized I didn't answer the why part in thread, but now looking at the numbers 41 brushes, my mother was born in 1941 and 43 razors lines up with my father being born in 1943. So that is my why answer 🤣.

Cheers!!
I still haven't tried Racer. :)

Top Bottom