What's new

Are all magnesium fire starters created equal?

:wink: I've gone in another direction with this ... focusing on the ferro rods (Bayite, 6") and making sure the knife's spine is square.

Magnesium's helpful, but if you have a shower of molten steel sparks from a 6" ferro-rod, feather sticks and almost anything will ignite. The little 1/8" ferro rod on those blocks might work, but. It's satisfying when one strike throws fireworks like Mt Vesuvius.
(Which makes up for my middling skills).

AA
Your striker, in my opinion is over two thirds the key to happy piro-mania. I agree wholeheartedly with a square spine.
I have and old old scout knife and did not want to make it square :( I like it almost original, so I used high speed tool steel and ground it to fit the rod, somewhat, more contact area is more of your Mt Vesuvius :D
Yeah it means carrying 2 items instead of one, but everything fits in the fire box, knife included and drop bears only leap out at you at night drawn to the fire so the knife is out ready:D

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I like these. Will keep you knives and most anything with a cutting edge sharp.

Note: Many will want to prosecute you for crimes against humanity in the Hague for using ever even thinking of using a carbide sharpener on a knife. Well, I've got every grade of Ark, Diamond, have used Coti's, Jnat's etc. When at home and you are honing your pocket queeen. Use whatever you like. For keeping a decent enough edge on a knife in the outback until I get home to my stones, carbide does the trick well. I don't even use the V unless I need to make an improvised knife or get given one that is as sharp as a marble.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I've tried most of the methods listed here (jute, cotton balls, dryer lint etc), but I keep coming back to ferro rods and fatwood (pitchwood, sapwood or whatever you call it locally). Easy to find in the bush and it sparks up easy regardless of being wet or dry.

I have sharpened the backs of most of my knifes, but I also carry one of those Carbide Tip sharpeners since those through tons of sparks off the ferro. Could also be used for its intended purpose I guess.

I'm going to try that, thanks. Very hard 90 degree angle indeed.

Yeah, I mentioned a carbide sharpener in a knife forum once ... the crickets could be heard ...

AA

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Yeah, I mentioned a carbide sharpener in a knife forum once ... the crickets could be heard ...
That's a tough crowd. A lot of irony there too. They want blades made of steels that often demand diamond to sharpen well because of the high carbide content, but then in the same sentence decry carbide sharpeners as capable of instantly killing their blades.

V-notch sharpeners will get you and edge, all be it ugly that will cut well when needed. And sometimes a ragged edge is actually better for a cutting a task than is a highly refined edge. The carbide sharpeners on the market like the one I linked to or the Speedy Sharp also have a straight piece of carbide with 90 degree sides. That carbide can be used in a down the length of the knife blade very very very light whittling type stroke that just barely removes the steel and doesn't tear up a knife like heavy pressure in a v-notch will . The v-notch will let you make a serviceable knife out of a butter knife if you need to and the only thing faster would be a power grinder.

I carve wood and rely on highly refined edges because it takes a push cut. Cutting rope on the other hand benefits from a toothy edge which can be gotten from a lower sharpening grit etc.

I do like sharpening knives with stones when I can. I find it relaxing. I like doing it free hand. Had to learn free hand anyway. It's hard to use any jigs or etc with carving gouges.

A long way of saying carbide sharpeners can be a very useful tool if used right.

I'm going to try that, thanks. Very hard 90 degree angle indeed.

AA

Ha! Mentioning one of those sharpeners in a knife forum is the equivalent of farting in an elevator.

I'll use one in a pinch, but I really would rather not when it comes to the more expensive knives that I have. I find that they strip off a lot of metal, create a wire edge, and often result in a very uneven bevel. Like I said though, I'd use it in a pinch if I had to.

I don't know if its still true or not, but I had read on the bushcraft forums that all the ferro rods are made in two countries - Austria and I want to say China though I can't be sure on that second one. I guess the difference comes down to whether you prefer a hard or soft ferro.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Appreciating the thoughts. I'd not use a V-notch carbide sharpener on anything but a (poor) ax, hawk or hatchet. The straight-edge carbide tool, though, is useful on lots of things (not a Benchmade!). Which reminds me; I gotta see what that will do to the Bayite ferro rod ...

AA

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Appreciating the thoughts. I'd not use a V-notch carbide sharpener on anything but a (poor) ax, hawk or hatchet. The straight-edge carbide tool, though, is useful on lots of things (not a Benchmade!). Which reminds me; I gotta see what that will do to the Bayite ferro rod ...

AA
There is one product on the market called Car-bee sharp. It has one unique feature I bought it for, well, two actually. It has the normal 90 degree edge, but in addition to that had several sort of carbide fins for a gentle touch up as it would spread the force across more area. The reason I bought it though was for sharpening cabinet scrapers. When you are done getting them to a flat side you normally need something made of hardened steel to slightly round over the edges of the flat so they work as scrapers. Well, the Car-bee has a rounded carbide rod on one edge. It works a treat on cabinet scrapers.|

Hard to see the surface I'm talking about, it's along the top edge, but this shows the general thing.
Screenshot 2023-10-24 145100.png

Top Bottom