What's new

Are all magnesium fire starters created equal?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I’m talking about the 3x1 magnesium blocks with flint. They vary drastically in price but all look the same.
5FFCD0C1-7D91-4740-B0DF-5CC8C4E10509.jpeg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I’ve heard, but haven’t personally confirmed, that the cheap ones made in China don’t work as well as some others. The few that I’ve had that were made in China worked ok. I now have one that doesn’t have a brand or place of manufacture on it and it throws 2-3 times the sparks that the China branded ones did. The Magnesium seems to ignite easier as well.

Last edited:

David

I’ve heard, but haven’t personally confirmed, that the cheap ones made in China don’t work as well as some others. The few that I’ve had that were made in China worked ok. I now have one that doesn’t have a brand or place of manufacture on it and it throws 2-3 times the sparks that the China branded ones did. The Magnesium seems to ignite easier as well.
I figured some were better than others, now I just need to find a good one. Didn’t want to pay 20 bucks for one if it was the same thing I can get at harbor freight for 1.99.

I second ferrocerium rods. That and cottonballs petroleum jelly have started many a fire for me without issue.
Tampons I say!

A few tampons in your firekit or survival firekit work great.

And they are plastic wrapped, so weatherproofed.

We use ferro rods, great things. Never used the magnesium. I ground the backs of our Mora knives to throw a good shower of sparks.

David

Totally agree with you guys on the ferro rods, but this is for my Randall sheath pocket, which is 3x1. I’ve never needed to sharpen my knife out in the field, so I figured I’d replace the stone with a magnesium block and flint.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Oh heck no, they're not equal. The Chicom cheapie sold at walmart likely has little actual mag in it ...I have a really soft mag block/starter from a gun show that throws very flammable shavings and chips. And big, quality ferro rods are the way to go, IMO. Small ones aggravate.

Recently experimenting with same, jute tinder is a bit harder to catch than you think. Make it easier with a blaze of sparks.

Can a piece of Viking iron and a chunk of rock work? Yes. Is it easy? NO. Sparks are few and small.

Go easy with a good mag block and an even better ferro rod. (Skip the jute for cotton balls soaked in vaseline/wax, too).

AA

David

Oh heck no, they're not equal. The Chicom cheapie sold at walmart likely has little actual mag in it ...I have a really soft mag block/starter from a gun show that throws very flammable shavings and chips. And big, quality ferro rods are the way to go, IMO. Small ones aggravate.

Recently experimenting with same, jute tinder is a bit harder to catch than you think. Make it easier with a blaze of sparks.

Can a piece of Viking iron and a chunk of rock work? Yes. Is it easy? NO. Sparks are few and small.

Go easy with a good mag block and an even better ferro rod. (Skip the jute for cotton balls soaked in vaseline/wax, too).

AA
Good info, thanks.

This will be for emergency use only, and honestly The chances of me needing to sharpen my knife or start a fire in an emergency situation are pretty slim, but it’s still good to have just in case. I have changed gears slightly on this. Now I’m thinking of making a diamond combo stone 600/1200 and putting a ferro rod on top. The rod will be short but should be enough to throw some sparks if I need to. Just have to make all that fit into a 3x1x 1/4” thick package. I think it’s doable.

Legion

Staff member
Good info, thanks.

This will be for emergency use only, and honestly The chances of me needing to sharpen my knife or start a fire in an emergency situation are pretty slim, but it’s still good to have just in case. I have changed gears slightly on this. Now I’m thinking of making a diamond combo stone 600/1200 and putting a ferro rod on top. The rod will be short but should be enough to throw some sparks if I need to. Just have to make all that fit into a 3x1x 1/4” thick package. I think it’s doable.
That’s a better idea. And you could sharpen the edge of the diamond plate to use as the striker, so you don’t have to use your knife.

I keep a little emergency ferro on my hiking knife.

3923780F-A074-456B-8BEB-F5FD009B5A35.jpeg

My understanding is that mag kits are for wet conditions. That is that the mag shavings will light if damp and burn hot enough to light moist kindling. Personally if it's not perfect weather I'm at the hotel ordering room service.

David

Now I’m thinking of making a diamond combo stone 600/1200 and putting a ferro rod on top. The rod will be short but should be enough to throw some sparks if I need to. Just have to make all that fit into a 3x1x 1/4” thick package. I think it’s doable.
63A4F0E9-2DA6-4520-B859-830FBD03C14A.jpeg
AC64E8D5-1A72-429B-9B6E-59F65D451149.jpeg
021B800C-8C8F-4AE0-A5BC-CC9C3FBC7FC9.jpeg

Done

Top Bottom