What's new

Are all magnesium fire starters created equal?

Legion

Staff member
Get a few sparks when you were cutting down that fero rod?

I forgot to tell you, you can get little beads or toggles made of ferro. I replaced some zipper pulls with them in my camping, emergency kits.

61xEfBV8kJL._AC_SL1500_.jpeg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Get a few sparks when you were cutting down that fero rod?

I forgot to tell you, you can get little beads or toggles made of ferro. I replaced some zipper pulls with them in my camping, emergency kits.

View attachment 1634368

I've done the opposite, and gotten a few 6" rods. I need an explosion of sparks, with my poor skills!:letterk1:

Do have a few of those shorties as zipper pulls, on bracelets etc. Jute, for example, is a little harder than one thinks to ignite ... it'd be time consuming with a 1" rod, IMO.

AA

Last edited:
Friend was USN Parachute Rigger, he was a SERE INSTRUCTOR.

Many ways to make fire with out gizmos.

This guy taught USN, and USMC Aircrews to survive if shotdown in Vietnam.

Those who listened, and learned had better chance of returning home.

Legion

Staff member
I've done the opposite, and gotten a few 6" rods. I need an explosion of sparks, with my poor skills!:letterk1:

Do have a few of those shorties as zipper pulls, on bracelets etc. Jute, for example, is a little harder than one thinks to ignite ... it'd be time consuming with a 1" rod, IMO.

AA
Oh sure. I wouldn’t use one of the little ones as a first choice. But they are better than rubbing sticks together.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I second ferrocerium rods. That and cottonballs petroleum jelly have started many a fire for me without issue.

+1. I like to have several options of fire starters with me, especially if it’s cold or raining. I always keep a small zip-lock bag filled with cotton balls and petroleum jelly, along with dryer lint stuffed into egg cartons covered in paraffin wax. I also keep a ‘fairy rod’ (magical sparking fire fairy) and magnesium stick in my camping bag.

I hardly ever use them though, because if I can grab dry tinder like pine needles or grass and leaves from nature, I’ll just take a Bic lighter to it.

:)

lasta

Blade Biter
+1. I like to have several options of fire starters with me, especially if it’s cold or raining. I always keep a small zip-lock bag filled with cotton balls and petroleum jelly, along with dryer lint stuffed into egg cartons covered in paraffin wax. I also keep a ‘fairy rod’ (magical sparking fire fairy) and magnesium stick in my camping bag.

I hardly ever use them though, because if I can grab dry tinder like pine needles or grass and leaves from nature, I’ll just take a Bic lighter to it.

:)
I don't know man. For the space of an egg carton, you could probably fit in 30 Bic lighters:letterk1:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I don't know man. For the space of an egg carton, you could probably fit in 30 Bic lighters:letterk1:

I don’t carry the egg carton in one piece, I break off each egg compartment individually and then just throw a few in my backpack. :)

+ 1 for cotton balls and vaseline.
+10 for cotton balls, vaseline AND WD40, more flammability/ignition from a lesser spark.

now I need go burn something down/up

You won't get specialized belly button & butt crack survival technique's from Bear Grylls.
errrr, ummm yes you will, one episode bare gills stuck a water tube right up he dot:eek2: explaining how to hydrate from suspect water sources with no water purification available.

back to ferro and Mg, strikers to me always are lacking, made my own from tool steel, as you can not carry anything sharper than a butter knife here now days, and harvest Mg from a hot water heater sacrificial anode

I am also a member of Pyromaniacs Anonamouse

Top Bottom