What's new

April 2024 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Final shave!

Razor: The Hessian (Hess 9/16")
Soap: B & M Seville
Brush: Omega boar
AS: Proraso Red Balm
View attachment 1838385

Had a couple of cuts, so I had to break out the Shave Nation alum stick.

Well, I guess this is the end of the month. This was fun and, I have to admit, easy. Mainly because I bought a bunch of new soaps just before I discovered GRUME. :thumbup1:

A couple of quick notes. The brush in the picture is new, but purchased about a year ago. I had saved it for when the other brush died, but I decided on the last day that the point of GRUME was to use this stuff. Tried it out and I liked it. I had already broken it in using the fridge/cold water method, and it performed well. Only shed one fiber and didn't eat the lather. Needs a little more work to get it to splay a little bit.

This was a lot of fun! I won't be joining you for May, because of you guyz' postings. Thanx to all your pics, I have a bunch of new things that I want to go buy. Only question is: Do I have to wait until tomorrow to make it official? :001_smile
Yes, I'm pretty sure you have to wait until tomorrow to buy. But, this is a Gentlemanly Restraint, so do what you will. I am planning on restocking some Proraso Shaving cream and have it in the cart. I won't pull the trigger until tomorrow. Cheers, and congrats on making it!!!

In.

DS Cosmetics S9
Rubie (20)
Blue's Goat Milk soap
Floid Genuine a/s

DSCF6051_1.JPG

Yes, I'm pretty sure you have to wait until tomorrow to buy. But, this is a Gentlemanly Restraint, so do what you will. I am planning on restocking some Proraso Shaving cream and have it in the cart. I won't pull the trigger until tomorrow. Cheers, and congrats on making it!!!
Yeah, that's where I am too. I have a bunch of stuff floating around in various carts. My problem is that during this month, by hanging out on the forum, I discovered Maggard Razors. I'm just itching to pull the trigger. :gun_bandana:

I have not signed up for restraint for May. I am free to restock or treewhale 🤣
I'm new here and I may be wrong, but, after following the thread, my understanding is that "treewhaling" is a phenomena that only occurs after you have boloed out of something like GRUME or GRUYERE.

Since I am definitely not GRUMEing for May, I think the technical term for what I am doing is "buying a bunch of new shaving crap." 💸💸💸🤑

#14 in 2024 GRUYERE shave sebaticle - Still in

#31 GRUME April 2024 - Still in

Date: 04.30.24

Days growth: 8

Head and face shave

Razor: Merkur Progress

Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)

Brush: 1950’s Ever Ready R40 with original pure badger knot.

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Johnson and Johnson on face and head with facial scrubber

Lather: Proraso green cream

Passes: 2 Plus pickups WTG ATG setting 3 then 1.5

Post Shave Routine and products:

1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2

2 - Cold rinse

3 - Alum block

4 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1

5 - Aftershave: Nivea Deep Bourbon and Vanilla

6 - Balm: Nivea sensitive skin

Notes: This was a pretty good shave today. I like that vintage Ever Ready, the knot is dense. When my beard is out of control (8 days growth) the Progress makes short work of the lengthy stubble. I don’t use Proraso green often but it’s very enjoyable when I do, I like its performance and that it’s refreshing. This is only my second Nacet blade and I like it well, sharper than the Astra SP and GSB that I normally use. I don’t know if they’re coated, it just says stainless on it so I assume not.

I had some blemish areas from my CPAP that got irritated but other than that it was a close comfortable shave.

Quality: 8.5

Comfort: 8

Enjoyment: 10

Overall: 8.83

I finished the last three days of April with two techs, or at least parts of. After sharpening my blade on Sunday, I used the baseplate from my prewar Tech on the handle and cap of my early Postwar Tech. (The threads on the cap of the prewar are damaged and don’t work with the handle.) The specs on the two caps are identical, as near as I can tell. I had to change my technique for this more aggressive razor: no buffing on initial passes and be more careful. I got an 8.9 shave. On returning to the milder postwar on Monday, I got a much better 9.7 shave on Monday. As I’ve mentioned before, with an older blade I always get a much closer shave with a milder razor.

Day 30, 100% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Nivea Men Shaving Creme
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: Rockwell 6S R6, Ti Handle, Astra SP #9
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

Finished the month with the Rockwell, for a comfortable near-BBS. This Nivea cream is pretty good — if I needed to do a brushless shave, I'd back this over canned foam.

Congratulations if you got through April. I hope to see some of you over on the May GRUME thread.

Top Bottom