What's new

Anyone start Safety or Straight shaving just because??

I ended up making the switch because of the price as well. It's amazing just how costly those cartridges are. Now I feel like a fool I wasn't doing this all along! At least I'm only 32 and have a long time of shaving (and cost savings) ahead of me.

I just wanted to look like someone out of an old movie.

+1

That is why I started DE - the cool factor (think, fatboy); those plastic-handled Sensor/Mach thingies just look so cheap and stupid.

But I happened across the idea while researching traditional shaving cream/soap and brushes, as others have posted in this thread.

And I am sticking with both (lube and razor) because now I just enjoy shaving so much more whereas previously it was a chore to be dreaded. Razor burn wasn't too much of an issue before, but I couldn't shave every day if I wanted. Instead, I generally shaved every 3 days. Now I generally shave every other day and I could do it every day without razor burn if I want/need to.

As a side benefit, I have noticed less ingrown hairs, but this wasn't a major problem for me before anyway.

Yeah, I switched just 'because'. A former co-worker had described the whole thing to me and mentioned some local places to procure hardware and software, but I was a bit skeptical. I was happy with the results I was getting from my Braun electric, but I had some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket so I figured I'd give it a shot.

It seems in almost every post that talks about switching from Electric or Mach3, the person is switching because of irritation or some other factor. I am wondering if there isn't anyone out there that switched just because they could. The type of person that was perfectly happy with the current shave situation and closeness (if they didn't already think it was BBS) and one day said, "I think I will try a Safety/Straight Razor now."

Just curious if anyone like this exists and what their experience has been thus far.
Me. I wasn't getting "bad" shaves before I switched although I didn't shave but 3 or 4 times a week at the most. I get better shaves doing it this way. No plans on going back.

I got ok shaves with M3. Nothing fantastic, but I was satisfied.

Until I went looking for a cheaper alternative...

Now I can't imagine going back to the M3. I held it in my hand this morning and it felt like a cheap toy. I am ever improving with the DE too, so I believe that my shaves are better now than before.

I switched because I was sick of dropping $20 bucks on a few cartridge razors. I never really had a bad shave with them though. I also thought the idea of using a brush and a vintage razor sounded great.

Ironically Ive probably spent more on creams, brushes, soaps etc. in the last month and a half than I have lifetime on shaving stuff before the switch :blushing: :lol:

My friend kept going on and on about wet shaving. I decided I'd give it a whirl and went from someone who saved every few days out of necessity to someone who shaves daily for pleasure.

I switched "just because." I was shaving with a Trac II and a can of Edge for over 30 years and I was perfectly happy and getting perfectly good shaves. Then one day my 25 year old, gold plated Trac II handle broke, and I began to look for a suitable replacement. Having no success at first, I ended up buying an Il Ceppo set at Bloomingdale's that came with a nice M3 handle (even though I always did and still do prefer the fixed balde), a badger brush, bowl and mirror/stand. Intriued by the brush, I bought a puck of Williams at CVS for $.99 and got ok results with it, but nothing astonishing. Then I read Sam Tellig's article in the February 2009 (?) issue of Stereophile, in which he talks about "serious shaving" and mentions B&B. Based on the strength of that article, I bought a Merkur 38C, joined this forum and, well, here I am. Of course, I'm one of those ne'er do wells who still shaves with a cartridge razor from time to time. In fact, I just treated myself to a Merkur Trac II handle -- not too shabby. An easy way for me to get a bloodless DFS+ shave when I'm in a rush to get out the door to work. Nevertheless, I still like the sport of DE shaving, and I have every intention of keeping at it.

I had been using an electric all my life and never new any different. Then one day I stumbled on Manic's youtube video. I thought it was really cool someone was shaving with and old school razor and had to give it a try. I haven't touched my electric since my DE showed up. Now I'm off to try a straight. :smile:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
More or less "just because" as I was happy with the shaves I was getting. I had been considering straight razor shaving for many years just out of admiration of the tools involved. (I like fountain pens, old brass telescopes and microscopes . . . that sort of stuff)

The thing that pushed me over the edge was my perception of a very large increase in profit margin for the companies making the four and five bladed models vs. the two and three bladed models. To me the two or three extra very tiny bits of metal in what was relatively the same size of plastic cartridge did not warrant the extra cost. I also thought it was dirty to continue selling the blades for the less expensive options without continuing the sale of the razor bodies. I accept that that was good business on their part but I took my Canuckbucks elsewhere and here I am with a new hobby and even better found a group of folk who are into all sorts of common interests and neat new stuff that also interests me.

Just because.
I found this site through a purchase of a pen from a member, became interested, and jumped right in.
After the fact, I realized that I had always hated shaving, hated buying those Fusion cartridges, hated the chrome/blue/orange, slippery fusion razor(except that I could shave over my adam's apple without slicing the skin), and more than anything, hated rushing through one more part of life. The enjoyment, need to be present and focused, and richness of the experiences of DE shaving, using a fountain pen, slowing down and tasting the Irish whiskey, pursuing a meditation practice and the like are all part of reclaiming life instead of rushing to try to find one.

Since I was younger I thought shaving with a straight looked cool. I just didnt know where to go to get a decent setup or info. One day I decided to look up straight razor forums, and SRP popped up, then I found B&B. Before I would only shave once a week or so because I hated it. My girlfriend likes it better now because I shave at least 6 days of the week if not 7.

I started my lifes career directly from high school and during my first 2 years more times than not found myself shaving with a disposable cartride that had a lube strip and sweat for lubrication. When possibe I used a straight for the pure luxury of it :eek: Strange but true. Began using DEs after I retired due to old work related injurys which resulted in an occasional "twitch". I still get to use my straights on occasion but the DE is a luxury I hope I never have to give up.

I started shaving with Mach 3's, and never had any problems with them.

I switched to straight razors "just because", and partly of out of boredom. I would shave in the shower (no mirror), and it was just another chore.

Straight razors are a lot of fun, but they take a LOT of time. I only use them as a treat.

DE razors are kind of a middle ground. They're still a ritual, but they are relatively quick and easy. I can shave 90% in the shower with one.

Sadly, my shaves today are often worse than I remember them in the Mach3 days. But I enjoy them more, and that's what counts. It also might be due to age -- I switched to straights and DE's around my 20th birthday. I know my beard is thicker now than it was then.

--Vincent

I was happy with my M3 shaves. Some mile razorburn, but I was doing a one pass shave.
I had a rash on my upper lip that would return whenever I didn't shave. If I shaved every day it was under control, but skip a day of shaving and the rash would reappear. My doctor said to switch to an aftershave with alcohol, and I found this site by doing a google search on aftershaves.

I was happy with my M3 shaves. Some mile razorburn, but I was doing a one pass shave.
I had a rash on my upper lip that would return whenever I didn't shave. If I shaved every day it was under control, but skip a day of shaving and the rash would reappear. My doctor said to switch to an aftershave with alcohol, and I found this site by doing a google search on aftershaves.

Smart doctor! Has your rash healed up since then?

It seems in almost every post that talks about switching from Electric or Mach3, the person is switching because of irritation or some other factor. I am wondering if there isn't anyone out there that switched just because they could. The type of person that was perfectly happy with the current shave situation and closeness (if they didn't already think it was BBS) and one day said, "I think I will try a Safety/Straight Razor now."

Just curious if anyone like this exists and what their experience has been thus far.

I would think that most people switch just because, then make up and excuse later :)

..michael

I started DE shaving as an environmental move and to get a better shave. I started straight razors just because. I guess it was kind of a progression. I've always been fascinated by straights (I like blades. period.) and this just is kind of another way of expressing that enjoyment.

A girl friend has been saying for years I should shave with a straight. After joining B&B, and reading about other people doing it, I figured.... <<Sorry, but this *is* a family site.>>

Top Bottom