What's new

Safety razor to supplement straight

I've been straight razor shaving for many years now, but never bothered working on technique or trying to get a "better" shave. Started diving back into it recently with figuring out multiple passes, etc. The trickiest part is my neck, since the hair grows straight down right under my chin to my adam's apple, then swoops out and almost swirls around below that. Really tricky to get a wtg pass with a relatively long straight razor.

I've never used a safety razor before, but I've been thinking maybe I could use one just for the weird neck grains. Any general suggestions? And is there still a learning curve going to safety if I've been doing straight already?

I forgot to mention, I also have trouble with the adam's apple itself. Mine doesn't stick out that much, but it does stick out sharp, if that makes sense. That makes it hard not to nick it or get razor burn. Anyone else have that problem?

If you can shave with a straight, you'll have no problems with a DE.

In terms of your Adam's Apple, mine is similar. I pull the skin across to the left or right, and shave it alongside the protrusion.

For the rest of your neck, do you do a S→N pass? That is how I deal to that part of the shave most effectively. Again, with fairly aggressive skin stretching to flatten out the hollows.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I forgot to mention, I also have trouble with the adam's apple itself. Mine doesn't stick out that much, but it does stick out sharp, if that makes sense. That makes it hard not to nick it or get razor burn. Anyone else have that problem?
Take a gulp and hold it your Adam's apple will disappear until you get the area shaved.

If you can shave with a straight, you'll have no problems with a DE.

In terms of your Adam's Apple, mine is similar. I pull the skin across to the left or right, and shave it alongside the protrusion.

For the rest of your neck, do you do a S→N pass? That is how I deal to that part of the shave most effectively. Again, with fairly aggressive skin stretching to flatten out the hollows.
I try to pull the skin to the side, but it can sometimes be tricky going cross-armed with how I hold the razor. I do a S-N pass occasionally, but I'm not too confident with it yet and feel like I'm just prone to slice myself. Trying to figure out a true WTG pass on the sideways part (east-west, or vice-versa) to start rather than N-S.
Take a gulp and hold it your Adam's apple will disappear until you get the area shaved.
cool tip, feels kinda weird but I'll try that and see if I can hold it long enough next time I shave.

I try to pull the skin to the side, but it can sometimes be tricky going cross-armed with how I hold the razor. I do a S-N pass occasionally, but I'm not too confident with it yet and feel like I'm just prone to slice myself. Trying to figure out a true WTG pass on the sideways part (east-west, or vice-versa) to start rather than N-S.
I have a similar issue, my hair grows from the chin towards ears. Doing N-S or S-N passes is not wtg or atg, but xtg.

If I don't have a sharp razor, then N-S and S-N won't be enough, so what I can do is a 3rd pass where I go from the ear towards the chin. If that's too tricky for you in the beginning, you can try starting at the bottom of the neck ear side and then go up diagonally towards the chin.

Keep in mind, having a sharp razor is very important. The sharper it is, the less work you have to do and the razor will work for you. If I have a sharp razor, then just doing N-S and S-N, (so for me that's xtg) is enough to get bbs.

Wish you good luck and hope you can figure it out!

Sometimes I actually prefer to shave with 2 razors. I start off with an efficient razor like the Blackland Blackbird OC or Yates EH for the WTG pass followed by a smoother less efficient razor for the ATG pass. I stopped using straights, but when I did I'd finish the shaves using a Gillette Tech. The sane principle applies with using adjustable razors as I dial it down.

I've been straight razor shaving for many years now, but never bothered working on technique or trying to get a "better" shave. Started diving back into it recently with figuring out multiple passes, etc. The trickiest part is my neck, since the hair grows straight down right under my chin to my adam's apple, then swoops out and almost swirls around below that. Really tricky to get a wtg pass with a relatively long straight razor.

I've never used a safety razor before, but I've been thinking maybe I could use one just for the weird neck grains. Any general suggestions? And is there still a learning curve going to safety if I've been doing straight already?

Good lord, man. It's like mixing matter and anti-matter!

Actually, I have mad respect for straight razor guys.

I would recommend a vintage Souplex or a 7 O’Clock…both open combs. Either of these is a great choice but the Souplex is a top notch ATG shave which would make light work of that neck growth pattern. My neck is always so smooth when using the Souplex.
A Henson is very good in this respect too if you don’t want to hunt down a vintage model.

Top Bottom