What's new

Anybody here have the technique and gear for a ONE PASS (2 pass at most), BBS shave??

So... what you're trying to say is....

"NO!! I do not have the technique and gear for a ONE PASS (2 pass at most), BBS shave."

You really should have just said so. If you want an 8-pass shave, why on earth would you open this thread?

Everything I've read by those more knowledeable than me (like mantic59), say that when shaving with a DE razor, the object is NOT to remove everything in 1 pass, but to obtain that BBS through multiple passes. That has worked for me. YMMV!!!

A BBS shave takes me about seven minutes, regardless of whether I do it in three (or 3.5) passes with a closed comb razor or in two (or 2.5) CAREFUL passes with an open comb. I really believe there is a Zen aspect to a good shave and that it's that Zen experience that I look forward to each morning. To achieve a BBS shave in one pass sounds to me like wanton scrubbing in every direction, and while it may take less time (no re-lathering), it doesn't sound like a satisfying overall shaving experience to me. So - no thanks.

Bob is singing a really good tune here . . .

Sadly, the OP is missing the point of this shaving process, and wants to turn it into an event.

Put another way, I can put a piece of meat, some potatoes, and vegetables on a plate, zap them in the microwave and eat within 10 minutes. Not the best, but I'm eating quickly. Or, I can take the same ingredients, cook them in the crockpot and enjoy a damn good stew about 8 hours later.

The best shave experience is a crockpot recipe.

So... what you're trying to say is....

"NO!! I do not have the technique and gear for a ONE PASS (2 pass at most), BBS shave."

You really should have just said so.

I think this was an unnecessarily inflammatory response. Relax, please.

If you want an 8-pass shave, why on earth would you open this thread?

Uh, maybe to find out more about what you had in mind....??

- Mark

Sadly, the OP is missing the point of this shaving process, and wants to turn it into an event.
False.

Put another way, I can put a piece of meat, some potatoes, and vegetables on a plate, zap them in the microwave and eat within 10 minutes. Not the best, but I'm eating quickly. Or, I can take the same ingredients, cook them in the crockpot and enjoy a damn good stew about 8 hours later.

The best shave experience is a crockpot recipe.
Umm... my better shave experiences have been with both a Gillette Old type and a Gillette Super Speed, both filled with some generic dollar store blades. The BEST shave experience came from a proper pre-shave soak in hot water... which I typically do (Except this one time I speak about in my last post, mostly because I'd just gotten out of the shower... so I just didn't go thru my typical routine, because of razor anxiety, I guess. Dunno what happened. Could've also been the blade. Not sure.)

And you shave with a crockpot? I think YOU are the one that's a few teeth short of an open comb. ;)

Yadda, Yadda, Yadda.....

This thread is not for people who take 3 passes. If you are encouraging 3 passes, then please start your own thread. It's a very simple concept and the least you could do to follow proper forum etiquette. 3 Pass Technique is OFF-TOPIC, and I'm going to do my best to remind you of what the topic is.

Frankly, I'd narrow this thread down to "ATG-only" type shavers, such as myself.

So I'll ask again... what type of gear are you ATG-only types using? Open combs? Straight bars? Single edges? Double edges? Dull, generic blades? Feather blades?

I think this was an unnecessarily inflammatory response. Relax, please.

+1!
This is a forum of Gentleman, and we act accordingly.

No reason to go negative....skills have nothing to do with your question...even with a aggressive razor such as the R41 most men that have mature beards will still need 2.5 passes or so to attain a BBS shave.

Back on topic, my typical shave is two passes. I wouldn't say that it's a pure BBS -- usually a DFS+ or BBS-, which is my sweet spot for closeness without irritation. Nor would I say that my technique is particularly awesome. After one pass, though, I'm usually at a DFS-, so the additional pass is gravy. I've found that using a more aggressive razor helps with efficiency.

The YUMA razor from bestshave with a perma-sharp does the trick for me. I take the time to center the blade in the cheap off center $1.97 turkish razor, Pre-shave cream then a good lather with a slick cream ( I like to use KMF or Derby cream and add a few drops of glycerin then whip it up ), first pass across the grain second pass if needed against the grain. A splash of Thayers and i get the best shaves of my life.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm not sure it's a matter of skill as much as it is hair type and consistency.
For example, facial hair gets coarser and tougher the older one gets. Gray beard hair from an older gent is a very different matter to cut when compared to the peach fuzz that very young guys have. Some people retain the characteristics of less coarse hair into adulthood for quite some time.
Even though I have a lot of stiff gray hair in my stubble, I still manage a basic 2 pass shave (admittedly with a few touch ups), so it isn't out of the realm of possibility that some people can acheive their goal with a single pass.
Whether the single pass vs multiple pass routine meets the other goals mentioned such as that zen time or whatever, is beside the point.
Some people can get a satisfactory shave with a single pass, some require multiple passes. I believe it to be more of a factor of hair type / quantity than purely the attainment of a skill set.

I get a BBS shave after one pass ATG.

The prep though is highly important. It consists of in part, shaving two times previously that day, sometimes only a minute or so before I start shaving.

Let's get this thread back on topic....

$557266_10150667440556089_527071088_9460945_1557811089_n.jpg

I'm not sure it's a matter of skill as much as it is hair type and consistency.
For example, facial hair gets coarser and tougher the older one gets. Gray beard hair from an older gent is a very different matter to cut when compared to the peach fuzz that very young guys have. Some people retain the characteristics of less coarse hair into adulthood for quite some time.
Even though I have a lot of stiff gray hair in my stubble, I still manage a basic 2 pass shave (admittedly with a few touch ups), so it isn't out of the realm of possibility that some people can acheive their goal with a single pass.
Whether the single pass vs multiple pass routine meets the other goals mentioned such as that zen time or whatever, is beside the point.
Some people can get a satisfactory shave with a single pass, some require multiple passes. I believe it to be more of a factor of hair type / quantity than purely the attainment of a skill set.

+1!!! My beard has always been thick, but the older I get and the more gray in my beard ( my beard is mostly gray now....more salt than pepper!) it has become even more coarse. Really good prep seems to make my shaving easier to achieve the result I want..

Scrub!!

--and---

Buff!!

========

Scrub!!

--and---

Buff!!

========

Scrub!!

--and---

Buff!!

========

i absolutely have to make multiple passes in order to come out the other side comfortably and irritation-free. the reason is that no matter what direction i shave in, if i truly apply zero pressure, the blade only ever cuts a portion of the whiskers that it passes over. if i apply any pressure i can dramatically increase the % of whiskers cut per stroke, but i also dramatically increase the burning and irritated sensation i feel afterward.

i'd rather do 4 passes AND cleanup while using such a light touch that i don't feel any burning afterward than to get totally smooth in 1 pass but pay for it with pain and redness.

my face is really sensitive, can't handle any abuse without getting all burny and swollen.

The question on the title is ill-placed. It is not a matter of having the technique or gear, but having a beard and skin combination that would allow this in the first place without significant repercussions.

I would argue that it is impossible to get BBS with one pass.

Sure you might get BBS in spots, but no matter how carefully you shaved, unless your face is flat as a pane of glass, there'd be areas where the blade wouldn't get everything down to the skin if you only went at it in one direction.

I do 1 WTG pass to get 90% done, then I take a wet lathered hand to feel around and touch up. BBS everytime.

I find the 3 pass shave to be over the top for my beard.

First off, I think the BBS is over-rated and need not be achieved every time. I shoot for a DFS shave, and always reach or exceed that target.

If I were going to try a BBS in 1 pass, I would use a 39C+Feather and build up at least a 5-day beard.

And just like with any shave, the key to success will be in the prep-steps. Give your beard a good long soak, use plenty of PSO or equivalent, lather to the max, and work slowly and carefully with the blade ...

Yes, BBS in 1 is possible. I have been there and done that.

I do a one pass WTG and then ATG and i get almost BBS everywhere except my jawline which needs a little touch up

Top Bottom