What's new

Masamune vs. Tech

Well, I adore Techs, one of my favorite go-tos. And I only shave (99%) with vintages.

However I am always curious to try new razors. So I got the Timeless TI .68 SB and it is really nice!! Mild but very efficient, smooth and no blade feel (love the latter).

And on top a couple of days ago the Masamune TI arrived - I was really dying to try it because people call it very very mild but oh so efficient.

Well, after 2 shaves I am almost concluding that I don’t like it. I find significant blade feel, and on top is is very draggy. Now, stainless steel razors are draggy on my skin, hence my first titanium try with with the Timeless TI. And the Timeless is soooo smooth.

But the Masamune not so much… I am seriously puzzled :crying:
Considering the Masamune has a negative blade exposure and a small blade gap, I don't think you should really feel the blade.
Maybe you're inadvertently using pressing the head into the skin (which might explain the drag as well)?

Considering the Masamune has a negative blade exposure and a small blade gap, I don't think you should really feel the blade.
Maybe you're inadvertently using pressing the head into the skin (which might explain the drag as well)?

Thanks for this suggestion but honestly no, I am an experienced DE shaver and am well aware to adjust (as I shave with razors with varying degrees of aggression, weight, angle etc.)

I have now found other reviews pointing to the Masamune having (in real life) actual blade feel. So I guess it is just not for me. Brought out the Timeless TI this morning and again had a perfect (almost no blade feel) shave.

The drag is a funny thing as it has put me off completely on stainless steel razors - I have owned and tried several brands/models (Feather, Rex, Denali, others) and it is always the same - significant drag which I don’t experience at all with plated brass. Rhodium plated razors in particular are absolutely perfect, no drag at all - such as British Aristocrats or the Tech NEW/Hybrid…

Happy shaves, all! - and all best wishes for 2024.

I have the same experience comparing my tech vs the Henson Medium. The Henson is more comfortable, but in two passes leaves more stubble than the tech in one pass. The problem is my face doesn’t quite like the tech, but my neck does. So I’ve ended up doing two passes with the Henson on the face, and one pass with the Tech on the neck

Top Bottom