What's new

Masamune vs. Tech

fat handle.jpg

Picture: Fat handle Gillette Tech from eBay

First of all, have you noticed yet that young people are pronouncing "vs." (versus) as "verse"? As in poetry. "Packers verse Chiefs was a great game." It seems dopey to me, but then I'm sure young people of every generation since humans dressed in skins have preferred to do things their elders consider jejune. I'm sure I did.

Comparing my Gillette Tech with my Tatara Masamune—merely my impressions—the Masamune is marvelous to shave with, if you like nonthreatening experiences as I do. It is supremely gentle and extraordinarily smooth, "like shaving with no blade in the razor" as they say. I feel like I can't hurt myself (and in fact haven't yet) and it's gentle on my blemishes where I have to be careful. Satisfying and easy.

The Gillette (I have several, but my main one is a 1939-46 replated by Matt P. at Razor Emporium) is a bit pedestrian by comparison, during the actual shave. More blade feel, a bit more nimble but not as comfortable ATG.

However, even comparing the Tech with a Kai blade on its seventh shave and the Masamune with a fresh Gillette Platinum, the Tech is markedly more efficient. The shave with the Tatara, post-shave, feels a bit like that state with the Tech/Kai five hours after the shave when my whiskers are just beginning to come in again and the "BBS" feel disappears. Of course the Tatara shave is close enough to look good for the day. I do only two passes and a second pass only in some places; I did a full second pass with the Tatara but not a third. Maybe with a third pass it would come closer to the face-feel of the Tech/Kai.

Curious: the Tech/Kai is so efficient that even with 1 1/2 passes, I just don't need a shave the next morning, despite the fact that I prefer to shave every day. The Masamune shave leaves it in less doubt that a shave the next morning would be a sensible idea.

My goal is primarily to be easy on my face, as I have sensitive skin and am prone to irritation. I feel like it might be the most sensible course to shave with the Masamune and a new blade every day. A super-easy good-enough shave that's ready to be restored the next morning. But I will admit to being seduced by the efficiency and excellent closeness of the synergistic Tech/Kai combination. They seem to go together so well, and I do love the fact that when checking WTG I get BBS, which is close enough for me and then some.

Rationally the Masamune is ideal for me. Yet I love the Tech/Kai combo.

MtG

P.S. Note that a Kai does not fit in the Masamune. The center hole in the blade is too small to go down over the threads on the post of the top cap. It's a shame, because the slight extra width of the Kai might improve the Masamune just that little bit more.

Note also that I shave with oil, which I believe has a bit of a protective effect compared to lather. The thing I love best about oil is that my post-shave is two gentle rinses with cold water, blot dry, and done. I actually feel like shaving is good for my face now.

Have you experimented with the Masamune and blade combinations?
I reckon you could also try the Nodachi top cap with the Masamune base plate to make up for the incompatibility with Kais.

I've used Kai blades with my Masamune often. No problem installing the blade. It's a great combination for those of us who avoid aggressive blade gap & exposure.

Hi Big J,
Yes, the Tech is what I'm comparing all the other razors to. So far, the Envoy, Rockwell, and Game Changer (.68 and .84) have all lost to the mighty Tech. (Just for me of course. The experience of others might be different.) The Tatara Masamune is neck and neck, I must say, no pun intended.

For fun, this morning I purposely did a quick, fairly careless shave with the Masamune and Gillette Platinum, wondering if I'd be happy with it. I paid attention but didn't take much care. The Masamune was very comfortable and totally nonthreatening, and the shave was close and looks fine. A very quick and easy morning shave.

The Tech has competition.

MtB

First of all, have you noticed yet that young people are pronouncing "vs." (versus) as "verse"? As in poetry. "Packers verse Chiefs was a great game." It seems dopey to me, but then I'm sure young people of every generation since humans dressed in skins have preferred to do things their elders consider jejune. I'm sure I did.
Either that or they dont know the correct word.

lasta

Blade Biter
Hi Big J,
Yes, the Tech is what I'm comparing all the other razors to. So far, the Envoy, Rockwell, and Game Changer (.68 and .84) have all lost to the mighty Tech. (Just for me of course. The experience of others might be different.) The Tatara Masamune is neck and neck, I must say, no pun intended.

For fun, this morning I purposely did a quick, fairly careless shave with the Masamune and Gillette Platinum, wondering if I'd be happy with it. I paid attention but didn't take much care. The Masamune was very comfortable and totally nonthreatening, and the shave was close and looks fine. A very quick and easy morning shave.

The Tech has competition.

MtB
I count 40 razors acquisitions since I started tracking 2 years ago, none of them beat the mighty Tech!

If Tatara comes out with a shiny Masamune, I might have to give this a try!

I have no experience with the Masamune, but I've yet to use a DE as good as the humble Tech loaded with whatever blade I happened to have around. I was very sad the day I dropped my ball-end and had to retire it. The Gillette Super Blue is really close, though; I just wish it had a teeny bit more heft to it. There is a reason that we used to tell newbies "buy a Tech." It's just an amazing razor.

Tech could be everyone’s one and only.

I've always thought this, and getting close to putting it into practice.

I've only got a few modern DE now, that I use occasionally, but often fall back on my pre-war Tech(s).

Sometimes I think the only reason I keep the new razors is because they are made well and look nice. Don't get me wrong, all of my modern DE razors shave well, I just don't NEED them.

I've always thought this, and getting close to putting it into practice.

I've only got a few modern DE now, that I use occasionally, but often fall back on my pre-war Tech(s).

Sometimes I think the only reason I keep the new razors is because they are made well and look nice. Don't get me wrong, all of my modern DE razors shave well, I just don't NEED them.
I prefer my modern razors to my Gillette Slim. But I’ve only shave with a slim…

I prefer my modern razors to my Gillette Slim. But I’ve only shave with a slim…

You gotta do you.

It's all about using what works best for the individual...still, I think everyone should at least try a Tech. It's low risk when you can buy them all day for 20 bucks on the auction site.

Update from the OP—back to using the Tech (and my Schön cue, too). I like the Masamune (and my Joss) but I keep coming back to the Tech (and the Schön). I'm sure I could get along with just the Tech but I'm not ready to retire the Masamune just yet.

I don't think I'm a typical shaver. I have a beard that's on the light side (thick, but tends to be silky) and very touchy skin that shaving has always irritated. Plus I don't see the point of making myself bleed. DE shaving is wonderful. The Kai blade in the Tech for me is nothing special during the shave, but afterwards my face is incredibly smooth and the shave lasts every bit of all day and then some. I really like the Shave Secret / Tech / Kai combination, and am pretty sure I don't need anything else. But then, I keep all three of my pool cues. (My other one is a gorgeous signed David L. Jacoby. I use a Jacoby Ultra Pro shaft on my Schön, too. Sorry, am I getting off topic?)

I think it might be nice to have three razors too. But then what will the third be?

Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday to all who celebrate,
MtB

Last edited:
Well, I adore Techs, one of my favorite go-tos. And I only shave (99%) with vintages.

However I am always curious to try new razors. So I got the Timeless TI .68 SB and it is really nice!! Mild but very efficient, smooth and no blade feel (love the latter).

And on top a couple of days ago the Masamune TI arrived - I was really dying to try it because people call it very very mild but oh so efficient.

Well, after 2 shaves I am almost concluding that I don’t like it. I find significant blade feel, and on top is is very draggy. Now, stainless steel razors are draggy on my skin, hence my first titanium try with with the Timeless TI. And the Timeless is soooo smooth.

But the Masamune not so much… I am seriously puzzled :crying:

Top Bottom