What's new

The 2 Pass BBS

I'm willing to bet anyone with average or above average beard density that they can't achieve BBS in two passes!
This is possible, only in people with a loose, sparse and soft beard, with large non-hairy areas.
Also, many people have the wrong idea of what BBS actually is. They think they do, but in practice they are far from the truth.

I'm willing to bet anyone with average or above average beard density that they can't achieve BBS in two passes!
This is possible, only in people with a loose, sparse and soft beard, with large non-hairy areas.
Also, many people have the wrong idea of what BBS actually is. They think they do, but in practice they are far from the truth.
I can get sort of close to BBS with two passes, but it's not full-blown BBS yet at that stage.

But like I wrote earlier, I don't see the need so I stop after a single pass and touchup(s).

I always figured a pass = apply lather, shave until lather is removed, although I often go over an area more than once with overlapping strokes in the course of making a single pass.

Still, a typical shave for me would be 2 passes, followed by another 1/3 pass on the lower neck and then extensive touch ups around the jawline, chin and moutache. I still think of that as a "2 pass shave".

With a milder razor, that 1/3 pass probably becomes a full pass, and I would call it a "3 pass shave", but it will still need a lot of touch ups.

In either situation, what gets me close to the finished article isn't the main reduction passes, but the extensive touch ups. If I had to try and achieve the same result with only complete passes, it would probably take an extra 2 or 3 passes and some parts of my face would be raw from getting over-shaved.

So, I guess my ideal shave at the moment is a "2 pass shave", but in the course of that shave some parts of my face probably get as many as 10 strokes made on them from various different angles.

I know there are guys on youtube who literally do:

lather - straight down all over the face until lather is removed;
lather - left to right (or the reverse) all over the face until lather is removed;
lather - straight up all over the face until lather is removed.

That's their 3 passes WTG, XTG, ATG and they are done. Well, it might work for some, but it would be a disaster for me, and probably leave me with a crap shave and horrible irritation.

Conclusion: Number of passes doesn't really tell you that much because I suspect we are all different.

You can get a BBS with two passes with a very aggressive razor. I do 3 passes, I start with applying lather on my face and then do the WTG once I'm done I repeat the cycle again but this time I do an XTG, and repeat the cycle again do an ATG. I always do touch ups on my chin, neck and stache area to get that full BBS.

When I'm using a very sharp blade like the Feather I rarely do touch ups because usually I get a full BBS with two passes but I still go for the ATG. If I'm using a blade thats not so sharp like the Feather I do touch ups. It really depends if I was using long or short strokes, with short strokes you get a better result IMHO. With long strokes there is a bigger chance you'll nick yourself.

Sometimes I go over one area multiple times without lathering, let's say I'm doing a XTG on my cheek and I feel like that there are still some stubble left I go over it a couple times with short strokes.

If I'm using a mild razor then I have to do this often, I get the best results with an aggressive razor. I can get a full BBS with a mild razor but it takes more time because of the touch ups. So yeah BBS all the way for me.

It's 3 passes for me. Not that I'm necessarily looking for a BBS, although I usually achieve one. It's simply that I enjoy the whole process of shaving, and have no desire to cut it shorter. (No pun intended). :rolleyes:

For me, a "pass" is a full lather application followed by a razor over that lather. Normally I use only two passes: First pass is with the grain, and second is a combination of across and against the grain (guided by finger feel for stubble).

So my question is what defines a pass?...Curious as to what you guys call a pass.
My technique describes a pass the shave after a lather application. Also my technique makes a clear distinction between a pass and a stroke. I shave daily with two passes and fewer consecutive strokes to achieve a partial BBS. Using best soap/cream to achieve best lather I can get, residual slickness being the key attribute. Maximum of three consecutive strokes over the same area, mostly two. ATG everywhere, XTG for the goatee area and chin, since I have a cleft chin.
Buffing (AKA dog scratch) is not allowed here. Long singular strokes are preferred.
Partial BBS means BBS pretty much everywhere above the jaw line. DFS below the jaw line and the chin. Neck would require a third pass for a BBS, which doesn't interest me at this point.

Oh, just in case you have never seen a dog scratch, there it is:

proxy.php

And of course, common for cats as well:

proxy.php

LOOOL, so nasty.

Last edited:
I see a lot of posts from guys saying they got a BBS with 2 passes. It takes me 3 with buffing. I also see a lot of YouTube shavers apply lather and then go WTG ATG XTG and then relather for another similar pass. So my question is what defines a pass? For me a pass is when I apply lather and shave rarely going over an area of my face without lather. For others a pass may be defined by the number of lathers applied no matter how many times the razor goes against unlathered skin. I watched a video the other day of a well known wet shaver reviewing a razor. He employed the lather up and do multiple strokes over unlathered skin approach. He then dinged the razor for leaving his skin irritated. I said no **** Sherlock. Curious as to what you guys call a pass.
All my combination face and head shaves are two pass BBS+ shaves. A long enjoyable warm shower completely hydrates all whiskers to be shaved. A Proper Pre Shave prep routine in my case shea butter massaged into all whiskered skin to be shaved. Lather is applied onto damp wet skin and whiskers are then shaved. Shaved skin is completely rinsed off. That is one complete pass. Lather is reapplied to wet skin and shaved a second time. The shaved skin is completely rinsed off again and that is a second pass completed. Any buffing areas to be touched up will receive lather protection again and in some cases may be preceded with a little pre-shave oil or shave cube to aid in skin protection and slickness.

Successfully accomplished BBS shaves require efficient (aggressive) razors. Mild or medium efficient razors will only increase passes and definitely increase buffing. If you choose to use less than an efficient razor you should not shave beyond DFS.

I have very sensitive skin. In my case pre and post shave skin care routines are critical to maintain healthy vibrant skin. My shave style is short quick ATG strokes. I rarely use any other strokes. My BBS+ shaves range between 48-72 hours before I have complete whisker regrowth.

I recently replaced my Fatip OC Gold Grande which was used exclusively for over three years. My new razor is a GC Lupo OC95. The Lupo is more efficient and has all but eliminated follow up buffing after the second pass.

Yes consistent comfortable two pass BBS shaves are possible although not the routine for someone requiring a ten minute shave to run and catch a bus.

My opinion on ultra close shaves. Skin care is Critical. I usually apply skin care products between my weekly shaves. The Netrogena products have worked best for me. I’ve always used a locked four shave kit. The Feather Blades are single use.

Although my shaves are usually weekly. This weeks shave will be an eleven day shave as I explore the limitations of the Lupo which I continue to dial in.

IMG_0494.jpeg

Happy Shaves

@VerbaVolant

Ha...I miss the YT dog scratch shave technique video. It was taken down years ago.
Hahaha, you know that video too. That's exactly where the term comes from. What a show.
Many public embarrassments were deleted from YT...

That being said, I apologize if I offended anyone. It came out pretty blunt and out of nowhere. It was because of the cats that woke me up at 03:30am.:blush:

All my combination face and head shaves are two pass BBS+ shaves. A long enjoyable warm shower completely hydrates all whiskers to be shaved. A Proper Pre Shave prep routine in my case shea butter massaged into all whiskered skin to be shaved. Lather is applied onto damp wet skin and whiskers are then shaved. Shaved skin is completely rinsed off. That is one complete pass. Lather is reapplied to wet skin and shaved a second time. The shaved skin is completely rinsed off again and that is a second pass completed. Any buffing areas to be touched up will receive lather protection again and in some cases may be preceded with a little pre-shave oil or shave cube to aid in skin protection and slickness.

Successfully accomplished BBS shaves require efficient (aggressive) razors. Mild or medium efficient razors will only increase passes and definitely increase buffing. If you choose to use less than an efficient razor you should not shave beyond DFS.

I have very sensitive skin. In my case pre and post shave skin care routines are critical to maintain healthy vibrant skin. My shave style is short quick ATG strokes. I rarely use any other strokes. My BBS+ shaves range between 48-72 hours before I have complete whisker regrowth.

I recently replaced my Fatip OC Gold Grande which was used exclusively for over three years. My new razor is a GC Lupo OC95. The Lupo is more efficient and has all but eliminated follow up buffing after the second pass.

Yes consistent comfortable two pass BBS shaves are possible although not the routine for someone requiring a ten minute shave to run and catch a bus.

My opinion on ultra close shaves. Skin care is Critical. I usually apply skin care products between my weekly shaves. The Netrogena products have worked best for me. I’ve always used a locked four shave kit. The Feather Blades are single use.

Although my shaves are usually weekly. This weeks shave will be an eleven day shave as I explore the limitations of the Lupo which I continue to dial in.

View attachment 1801537
Happy Shaves

My Eleven Day Shave

I had my eleven day shave on Sunday. A two pass face and head shave. Being a weekly shaver has worked best for me in dealing and maintaining healthy comfortable skin. My sensitive skin woes are a distant memory. I prefer ultra close BBS shaves. Even with efficient (aggressive) razors like the Fatip Grande and the Lupo. They do have their limitations. Eleven day shaves on both these razors gave up efficiency in both the first and second passes. This lead to extra buffing to arrive at my preferred BBS finished shave.

My bold statement even efficient razors have a friendly widow for highest efficiency. Staying within those limits will reward you with efficient shaves using minimum strokes. I found both razors to perform admirably between six and nine day shave intervals with the seven day shaves being the sweet spot.

Consistent Two Pass BBS Shaves require many elements to be successful. Skin condition, beard growth, pre and post skin shave routines. Excellent soaps and brushes. An efficient razor with good technique and most importantly a soft touch. My journey to find and be able to repeat these shaves took me over two years. My shave kit being a locked four is probably the most important element. I don’t have to make adjustments to the razor or software. It’s always the same.

My shave journey has always been based on a comfortable skin finish. Minimum shave strokes with highest skin comfort lead me to a seven day Two Pass BBS Shave.

But I'm shaving as much for myself as others and I really like the feel of a smooth face.
Yes! Exactly! I'm retired, so I don't need to care what other people think, which is why I was only shaving once every week or two. Now, of course, I'm shaving every day both to improve my technique and to keep things under control until I get a proper SR. Yes, I enjoy shaving now for the first time in my life, but a large part of that is seeing how much I've improved in the first two months of using a SR

Top Bottom