What's new

Please Recommend, New To Me, Shaving Techniques

I have been wet shaving for about two and a half years.This year one of my goals is to get out of my comfort zone and learn new shaving techniques.

I am asking for shaving techniques I can add to my routine. Please give me recommendations.

I do want to learn and feel comfortable shaving ATG. I would like to add the occasional ATG pass to my shave, so I know I can if I wanted too. For now I will stick to my two pass shave.

I average DFS’s. I don’t think I can say I get the occasional BBS shave because I don’t do an ATG pass. Isn’t that the rule?

Through trial and error this is what I have learned and enjoy. I am pleased with my routine. It is becoming boring.
Not open to change razor or blade. Open to technique modification.

I only use vintage SE razors and blades.
I am a daily shaver.
I shave face and head.
I do a two pass shave. WTG/XTG.
My daily driver is my 1924 Shovel head. For variety I use both head types. Pedestal and Stamped. I rotate handles. I enjoy short handles. I use the two types of Bakelite handles from a 1912 GEM Jr. One fat. One long. I have others handles enjoy. When shaving I enjoy the toast scrapping sound. I enjoy the feel of going from hair to no hair. Very rewarding.

Techniques I currently use when shaving:

1. Place blade against the skin, move away until I feel hair being removed
2. I use short strokes at first, then long strokes to get the smoothness
3. I do blade buffing, not too much
4. I let the weight of the razor do the work.
5. After my shave I use Alum for its regular purpose. I also use it to help gauge my technique. It tells me how I can improve my technique. “No pain. No gain”.
6. I use a GEM PTFE blade

From another thread “thrombrogan” gave me recommendations I will try.

The Gillette Slide.
The Guillotine Stroke.

I cannot wait to learn what these are and to try them.

Your recommendations are appreciated.

Enjoy your future shaves.

Welcome aboard!

First, BBS is not required; it is a bonus IMO.

Second, ATG is not required. An alternative, to consider is two XTG passes in opposite directions.

Third, I suggest you read through the WIKI which contains a ton of useful information!!

Try bullfroging when doing the ATG pass. That’s the only way I can do it here.

Anything different and I’m in trouble, even just relaxed skin. But I have a low fat defined jawline and face so I’m sure that is a huge factor that plays against me when shaving, specially ATG.

Welcome aboard!

Second, ATG is not required. An alternative, to consider is two XTG passes in opposite directions.

Third, I suggest you read through the WIKI which contains a ton of useful information!!

People chase the BBS, some people will never get BBS because of a few reasons.

1. Very sensitive skin.

2. Old Skin because of AGE.

3. very Coarse Beard.

4. You have beard that does not Grow straight in all place on your Face.

If you have any or all of the above condition, and your unlucky, you will get SKIN IRRITATION chasing the BBS.

Many years ago my H/S Buddy Earl was going to Barber College, he asked me two grow my beard a couple of days, as he need someone to take to State Board for his practical, Hair Cut, and Shave.

So I went to the Barber College for his instructor to check out my Beard to see if in was good person to take to State Board, his instructor look at my Beard. Told Earl I was NOT a good choice, because of the way my beard grew, too think, too many swirls in growth pattern.

Recall those remark to this day, one reason I do not CHASE THE BBS. My beard even to this day has those swirls, so I just shave, but never chase the BBS.

Last edited:
Try bullfroging when doing the ATG pass. That’s the only way I can do it here.

Anything different and I’m in trouble, even just relaxed skin. But I have a low fat defined jawline and face so I’m sure that is a huge factor that plays against me when shaving, specially ATG.
Alex Jr

Bullfroging?

I will look it up on YouTube.

Thank you.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Alex Jr

Bullfroging?

I will look it up on YouTube.

Thank you.
Bullfrogging? Imagine this guy.... without the trumpet 👍

1705519164096.png

Thrombrogan

Wow, because of you I am very interested in learning techniques that will help with ATG passes.

Bullfrogging. Could not find anything about this technique on YouTube.

Thank you for the wealth of information.

Welcome aboard!

BigJ

Two XTG passes in opposite directions. I will try this. Hopefully this can get my mustache and chin areas used to increased blade feel.

This will get me closer to the occasional pain free ATG pass in those two trouble areas?

I will not consider this a pass. I will consider it a touch up.

I am asking for shaving techniques I can add to my routine. Please give me recommendations.

I do want to learn and feel comfortable shaving ATG. I would like to add the occasional ATG pass to my shave, so I know I can if I wanted too. For now I will stick to my two pass shave.
Sometimes I wonder why people can't do an ATG? I'm convinced that some people shave way to early. For me the sweet spot is 3 or 4 days. If I shave let's say 2 days after I shaved I can't do the ATG. Maybe those who can't do an ATG should way a couple days extra before they shave again?

I always do an ATG when I shave and I always get a full BBS. With some razors and blades it's easier to achieve, sometimes I get a BBS with only two passes.

Give it a try, wait a couple days before you shave and try to do an ATG. My advice is: take your time doing the WTG, I use short strokes when I do the WTG.

BigJ

Two XTG passes in opposite directions. I will try this. Hopefully this can get my mustache and chin areas used to increased blade feel.

This will get me closer to the occasional pain free ATG pass in those two trouble areas?

IMHO if you want to do an ATG on the stache area you have to take your time with the WTG pass first. Follow up with an XTG then the ATG will be painless. But like I said before, I cannot do an ATG if my beard growth isn't 3+ days old. I read so many posts here of people saying that they can't do an ATG, I really believe that they don't have sensitive skin. They have the same issue as I have with my beard growth.

Once you get a BBS you will love shaving even more. But maybe you can shim your razor and use a sharper blade like a Feather. If I use an aggressive razor + blade combo I get a BBS with the XTG pass.

If you really want to improve your shave I really can suggest you trying to use olive oil as a preshave oil. It really improves the shave and your skin will feel super smooth afterwards.

Mapping your beard is a must in order to do the proper passes. I get a full BBS on my cheeks, stache area, jawline, chin and neck.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Isn't the J hook simply a short wtg and xtg stroke?
I suppose you could call it that. I rarely employ the j-hook or glide myself. And certainly with no razor more aggressive than a Game Changer.

And who knows? Maybe it was the mildness of the Techs and Super Speeds that made such techniques more attractive?

I'd not bother with either using my Timeless Bronze or Futur.

Isn't the J hook simply a short wtg and xtg stroke?
AshleyC

I tried J Hooking for the first time two shaves ago. I used short strokes with a little hook motion at the end of the stroke. I tried it with and without bending my wrist. It worked better without bending my wrist. I used it like buffing but with the J Hook motion. I had to be careful. I was concerned I would get razor burn due to using the technique in the same area too many times. I did not get razor burn. I have been getting DFS with this technique. It is becoming a permanent part of my shaving routine.

People chase the BBS, some people will never get BBS because of a few reasons.

1. Very sensitive skin.

2. Old Skin because of AGE.

3. very Coarse Beard.

4. You have beard that does not Grow straight in all place on your Face.

If you have any or all of the above condition, and your unlucky, you will get SKIN IRRITATION chasing the BBS.

Many years ago my H/S Buddy Earl was going to Barber College, he asked me two grow my beard a couple of days, as he need someone to take to State Board for his practical, Hair Cut, and Shave.

So I went to the Barber College for his instructor to check out my Beard to see if in was good person to take to State Board, his instructor look at my Beard. Told Earl I was NOT a good choice, because of the way my beard grew, too think, too many swirls in growth pattern.

Recall those remark to this day, one reason I do not CHASE THE BBS. My beard even to this day has those swirls, so I just shave, but never chase the BBS.
DesertIguana

I am one of those who chase BBS. I use to think if my shave was not 100% BBS, I had inferior technique. Thanks to other members I don’t think that anymore and I don’t “chase BBS” anymore. My daily face shaves are BBS everywhere except for my chin. On my chin I do get smoothness shaving downward, side to side, but not up to down.

I shave off my mustache a few days ago. Thanks to other members I get smoothness in all four directions.
Getting BBS is more challenging than I thought it would be. All advice welcome on how to get four way smoothness on my chin.

BigJ

BigJ

Yesterday with my regular WTG pass, I tried the two XTG passes with a kinda ATG pass. The result was smoothness on all four sides of my mustache. Thank you. This will become a regular part of my two pass routine now.

My chin was another story. On my chin, doing the same I got smoothness shaving downward and left to right. Shaving right to left (ATG) was smoother. Shaving upwards (ATG) was slightly smoother. I J hooked and did blade buffing. I had to stop fearing razor burn. On those two passes I was going try skin stretching. I chose not too. In the past I got razor bumps doing so. Any advice? Maybe when I get the confidence I will try skin stretching again.

Sometimes I wonder why people can't do an ATG? I'm convinced that some people shave way to early. For me the sweet spot is 3 or 4 days. If I shave let's say 2 days after I shaved I can't do the ATG. Maybe those who can't do an ATG should way a couple days extra before they shave again?

I always do an ATG when I shave and I always get a full BBS. With some razors and blades it's easier to achieve, sometimes I get a BBS with only two passes.

Give it a try, wait a couple days before you shave and try to do an ATG. My advice is: take your time doing the WTG, I use short strokes when I do the WTG.

IMHO if you want to do an ATG on the stache area you have to take your time with the WTG pass first. Follow up with an XTG then the ATG will be painless. But like I said before, I cannot do an ATG if my beard growth isn't 3+ days old. I read so many posts here of people saying that they can't do an ATG, I really believe that they don't have sensitive skin. They have the same issue as I have with my beard growth.

Once you get a BBS you will love shaving even more. But maybe you can shim your razor and use a sharper blade like a Feather. If I use an aggressive razor + blade combo I get a BBS with the XTG pass.

If you really want to improve your shave I really can suggest you trying to use olive oil as a preshave oil. It really improves the shave and your skin will feel super smooth afterwards.

Mapping your beard is a must in order to do the proper passes. I get a full BBS on my cheeks, stache area, jawline, chin and neck.

Good luck!
Eruo

Mustache

About four days ago I shaved off my mustache so I can practice ATG techniques. You are correct. I shaved downward, left to right, right to left and finally upward. It took a long time to do. I was slow and careful. I ended up with complete smoothness (BBS). It was not a painful experience at all. Thank you.

I think I will just incorporate that upward pass on my mustache only. I get a very satisfying smooth shaves on my face already. This is with the exception of my chin. My chin is another beast I will slay eventually over time with the advice from members like yourself.

Top Bottom