What's new

Animal Testing shave products

P

Prospero

just a small details, many of those "we do not test on animals" labeled products are actually based on testing data from other companies which do test on animals,

body shop dosnt test on animals, but if the parent company, l´oreal does, and if the research data is allready there, the body shop itself did not test it on animals....

I know what you mean Aevum. Still, a couple of years ago the problem of testing products or medicines on animals themselves was not the big issue but the fact that all kinds of competative companies did the same tests worldwide and in the process thousends of animals were needlessly tortured to death for profit. I suppose in some cases it will be advisable to test on humans or animals before launching the product on the market. But if a company uses a data bank to get the necessary information in stead of an own testlab, really lots of animals are spared an unnecessary horror. So if a company takes the effort to use all possible data available to prevent unnecessary testing, I'm happy. I'm not aiming to become a saint, at least not yet :001_smile

Personally, I test *all* my shave creams, razors and aftershave balms (not the alcohol-based stuff; that would be cruel) on my cats before I use anything.

For the life of me I cannot see why you would need to 'animal test' a razor blade!
It's a small razor sharp piece of metal, what's to test??

And why, when companies spend millions dripping shampoo into rabbits eyes, does it still sting like hell when I get it in mine?

I like to dress up chimps and give them makeovers.

Does that count?:confused:

You mean like this?

proxy.php

I am against testing on animals.

There are synthetic bristle shaving brushes, actually... and apparrently they work well for the most part. So it's actually entirely possible to do traditional shaving, and not use any animal products. I believe these shaving brushes do better in the Northern Europe than the US, though... at least they are harder to find here.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27355

A wooden shaving brush that enhances the foamy lather of your shaving cream. Made with Community Trade Russian birch wood and animal-free super-soft synthetic hairs. Its short, rounded handle makes it easy to hold in the palm of your hand.

http://www.thebodyshop.com

That's $8, easy to get, and not a half bad synthetic.

I am against animal testing. When I was a college student I worked for a while in the mail room at the med school. I saw all the large animals-pigs and dogs they experimented on. It was horrible. I'm more tolerant about using mice,gerbils, and hamsters but that has its problems as well.

As far as badgers go. I am for the use of badger hair. The Chinese hunt these animals because they tend to get into their agro crops etc. Also they eat them so why not use their fur? If they don't hunt the badgers they overpopulate and that is not good either.

There is unethical about killing animals for food etc. but IMHO, that depends on how you do it.

NEVERTHELESS I have a real problem with a lot of cosmetic companies out there. I love Proraso. It's my favorite shave cream. However I did some research and found that it's pretty toxic stuff. In fact I won't use it anymore.
Also there are a lot of cosmetics/shave products out there that are equally toxic. 90% of all cosmetics ingredients have not been tested and that is especially true of shaving products.

There are some products out there that are good. Nancy Boy does not do animal testing, "Tested on boyfriends not animals." Also Em's products are good.

WATCH OUT!!

DaveS

and dont forget the menthol in proraso ruins brushes, but sometimes, you just want that fresh feeling,

I don't know where I stand on animal testing but I do know where I stand on animal grilling. I am all for it!

I know where I stand on animal testing, as well as where I stand with respect to the groups opposing it that have been labeled as domestic terrorists by the FBI.

Unfortunately for them, the animals don't get a say in this. I'm sure that very few of them would be in favor.

Cheers

Jeremy

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Yawza! Another old thread resurrected.

I don't know if I can add any more to this. Although I did work for Procter & Gamble for about 14 years and I know that many of the claims against their animal testing are exaggerations and in some cases simply false.

I've been so bold to drop a question about animal testing and the Derby blades at the Azmusebat factory in Tuzla (Istanbul). This is the reply of the factory which I received within the hour:

Please note that we never test our razor blades on animals in production process. We have all international quality certification and we produce razor blades according to EU production standarts.

So according to the export manager of the company the Derby blades should be a good choice if you want animal test free blades. As the manager also invited me to visit the factory to see for myself, and I've planned a lovely vacation trip to Istanbul coming on May 2008, I think I will go and have a look. I think it will be great to see a blade factory at work!!! :wink:

More info on: http://www.derby.com.tr/derby/eng/catalogue.htm

Are you SURE that the Gillette BLADES are animal tested? Gillette makes many products.

Yawza! Another old thread resurrected.

I don't know if I can add any more to this. Although I did work for Procter & Gamble for about 14 years and I know that many of the claims against their animal testing are exaggerations and in some cases simply false.

Is the devil worshipping thing in the symbol true??? (Just kidding, by the way)

I have been thinking about this very subject for awhile now. I have always wondered how the badger brush is made? Do they trap the badger? Raise them on farms? Do they kill the badger to get the hair? I really don't know. I do not agree with all animal testing. I believe some testing is required for medicine and science but, to just go out of your way to cause harm to something that you know feels pain is well, sick. I don't agree with fur farms or (pet) mills at all. You can see some of the conditions these animals live in and it's not good at all.

My cousin worked for a very large lab that performed regular animal testing, and I've heard more than my fair share of horror stories from her about dogs being fed dish washing detergent until they died, and dogs having their eyes burned from various chemicals and then euthanized after the experiments were completed, and other atrocities. She quit after suffering horrendous nightmares. Her mom said that she had to go to counseling to help get over some of the stuff she saw happen to various animals at their lab.

My wife works at an animal shelter, and every so often, she'll have several dozen people call-in and report that their labrador retrievers or german sheppards or (insert other medium-to-large-sized dog breed) have gone missing. What usually happens is pet brokers steal the dogs from yards, and sell them to an animal testing lab that's about 75 miles from our home. I can only imagine what has happened to some of these people's pets. :(

It's very troubling to me. I'm not a vegetarian, I don't agree with PETA's methods, but I do agree that we, as humans, need to show some decency and compassion when it comes to treating other creatures. They are not here for our sole benefit and I don't feel they should be tortured and/or exploited like they so often are.

Just my $0.005.

I don’t know if this has been brought up, but I love the products labeled "finished product not tested on animals." What? Does that mean that each chemical was tested on animals individually? That seems even crueler and a lot more work. Just seems like a way to wiggle out of their claims. I don’t see the point of testing shaving products on animals when there are so many men who would be willing to try out companies trial products. Seems pointless and I think most men would be a little better about giving feedback than a monkey, even a sign-language monkey.

For soaps and creams there's obviously also the Body Shop as well as (presumably) the smaller manufacturers (Mama Bear, QED, SCS, TGQ, Susies Bubbles, and so on).

I mean... I can't imagine any of those keeping pets just to try soap on (especially when I'm sure there are more than enough gents around here who would gladly be guinea pigs for new soaps and/or creams).

I think I will have to stick with my guinea pigs.....uh, I mean Testers. I asked my yellow lab, Scooby, if he would like to product test for me.

'What do I have to do?' he asked wagging his tail so hard his whole body was in motion.

'Well......we'll put some shave soap in one eye, shave cream in the other, aftershave in your nostrils; then we'll pour some Eau De Toilette in your ears. Then I'll give you a nice bath in New Spice Shower Gel and not rinse it off'. Then we'll know if soap burns eyes, mucous membranes, and if improperly rinsed soap itches.. I replied.

'So how does this help you to hurt me like that?' he asked hanging his head, ears and tail down.

'Well there are some very powerful humans that don't think the rest of the humans have common sense enough to know how to use soap.'

' I don't like my dinner late, I don't like going to the vet, I don't like the back car window rolled up and I don't like any of the dumb experiments you want me to try.' he said, turning away. Back over his shoulder he said, 'I thought humans were smarter than dogs, you people are not very bright".

'Oh PLEASE, I pleaded, just a spoon of soap in your eyes only, ok? We can skip the aftershave in your nose for now. Come on, be a good sport.'

Last I saw Scooby, he was putting all of his toys and his blankie in a knapsack with tears in his eyes.
Sue

P

Prospero

Are you SURE that the Gillette BLADES are animal tested? Gillette makes many products.

It's impossible to know exactly what is true and what not. This is true for companies labeled as the devil themselves and for the goodie companies who claim not to test (themselves). As anyone else I have to rely on sources on the www and other media.

If I understand the info correctly, Gillette makes a claim not to test on animals anymore, at least not themselves. As a result the company is listed as a positive company in some lists, other have their doubts for the moment.

http://www.naiaonline.org/articles/archives/gillel01.htm (old news).
http://www.animalrightscommunity.co...-bulletins/2007/11/29/24-facts-animal-testing (november 2007).
http://www.care2.com/c2c/share/detail/563443 (december 2007 - contradicts the claim).

The problem with the information is that on the www everyone uses the info from somebody else. Therefore it is really hard to determine the value of the information. So, I think you ask a very good question!

As I'm a member of the Animal Rights Party I will check with other members if they can lead me to information that is as reliable as possible and I'll come back to you.

Top Bottom