What's new

Five Types of Shavers

I don't think the plutonium razor users make up a significant portion of our fellow shavers - they just done last very long here. See the attached photo of what happens after just one shave with a plutonium based razor.🤣

🤣🤣🤣
Oh man and I was going to get one of those plutonium razors. I have heard about them. I guess I will stick with my sodium razor even though the storage of them is a pain and I have to keep a few backups because the water does a number on them.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
How about if I careen erratically amongst categories as a grumpy old OCD nerd? While making fun (in my mind, such as it is) of wealthy (or maybe just improvident) germaphobes.

And a really fun guy, obviously. And both smart and wise...

But not at all self-important...

Huh. Dang. I almost had a match but I'm too self-important.

Got the rest of it, though. I knew there'd be more than one of us here.

O.H.

Yeah, but it’s self-warming and it glows in the dark.
Screenshot_20231024-011510.png

And it's only $200 with $10 cartridges!

Hilarious post, thank you! I would fit in the tech nerd and grumpy codger group, with the emphasis on the latter. I have bought some of the newer, innovative razors but I draw the line at spending more than $200 on one. My collection is mostly vintage Gillettes and modern razors in the $75 and under price range. Definitely not the OCD. Germaphobe or Richie Rich category. Already have enough shave soaps and creams to last the rest of my life, so had to stop buying them. Now mostly into dating some of my older Gillettes, restoring some razors and brushes and enjoying what I have.

You sound a lot like me, but we Cheapshavers are a rare breed on B&B. Twice I’ve tried to launch a Cheapshaver Forum but it hasn’t gone anywhere. It seems that frugality is not highly valued here
I think this is a pretty big group, depending on you how define it. I'd strike the germaphobe group (sure, they exist, but I don't think a single person is here because they're a germaphobe) and replace it with something like "bargain hunters." These are people who like the romance and tradition of vintage shaving, but who were really motivated to try wet shaving because they couldn't stomach handing over $20 for a package of cartridges. The automatic "I'm in"s for every PIF. People who might splurge on an item from time to time but who have at least one category (soap, brush, razor, blades, aftershave) in which they're proud to show off their frugality. The flea-store Tech they got for $2. The cheap boar brush they've used exclusively for 20 years. The homemade bay rum they also give as holiday gifts. The people who won't buy a blade that costs three times another blade out of principle -- despite the difference being pennies.

In short: people who require a product to be a good value to be a good product.
I see this group pretty regularly here. (Hell, I be this group sometimes.)

This is a great categorization! Guilty as Charged: I am a grumpy nerdy, germaphobe. But here is a screenshot of my cool spreadsheet I use to produce useless usage stats :D I have bottles of 70% and 90% isopropyl alcohol as I go through this stuff like water. I love my plated brass razors that don't have serial numbers or fancy aerospace inspired names and materials!

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 11.29.38 AM.png

The red cells (F column) is the term I enter to be parsed in the main spreed sheet for partial or complete text matches to count up the instances (H column). I also have bottles of 70% and 90% isopropyl alcohol as I go through this stuff like water. I used the Formulatext function in the J column so you can readily see what I did.

Last edited:
I think this is a pretty big group, depending on you how define it. I'd strike the germaphobe group (sure, they exist, but I don't think a single person is here because they're a germaphobe) and replace it with something like "bargain hunters." These are people who like the romance and tradition of vintage shaving, but who were really motivated to try wet shaving because they couldn't stomach handing over $20 for a package of cartridges. The automatic "I'm in"s for every PIF. People who might splurge on an item from time to time but who have at least one category (soap, brush, razor, blades, aftershave) in which they're proud to show off their frugality. The flea-store Tech they got for $2. The cheap boar brush they've used exclusively for 20 years. The homemade bay rum they also give as holiday gifts. The people who won't buy a blade that costs three times another blade out of principle -- despite the difference being pennies.

In short: people who require a product to be a good value to be a good product.
I see this group pretty regularly here. (Hell, I be this group sometimes.)
Suspect you are right as those who shave more economically may have less to post about regarding details of our equipment versus high-end collectors. Perception of lots to talk about when one purchases a custom hand made/knotted $300-500 natural fiber brush versus how often will I post about my great $8.99 on-sale plissoft or @Quaznoid 's $4 boar beyond noting that these brushes are great value and work well for us. Recall a post about Italian Barber where it was noted that they sell lots more of the value price brushes versus the higher end options.

Can I be a little bit of #1 and mostly #5 simultaneously? In my heart, I'm #5 in that I just like stuff that works, that doesn't break the bank, and that I could use for a lifetime. That being said, I keep my eye out for new things and am always interested to see what pops up, but because I'm cheap (and in group #5) I hardly every purchase any of the new tech out there. (The most expensive and "new tech" razor that I have is a Henson AL13+. While I'd like to have a really nice razor to see how it stacks up with my current razors (only 4), I just have a hard time believing that I'll get a better shave commensurate to the cost.

Top Bottom