What's new

Five Types of Shavers

I'm a combo of group 1 and 2; tech nerd and OCD's.

I greatly appreciate @Quaznoid and his ability to make fun of us while also getting us to laugh at ourselves. I hope you are a comedian and share your humor with the wider world beyond B&B. I very much enjoy your off-kilter posts and your unique perspective. 🍻

I've only been into wet shaving for two years. I started in the Tech Nerds group, as an example, I was fascinated by tools like the Kai Captain EXCELIA, I became obsessed and accumulated many, now I only have three. The design of the Tatara seemed the best to me and I ruled out any DE that looked old. Then I discovered straight razors and now I only shave with vintage straight razors, most of them are older than me. Now I know I'm in the last group. It has been a quick change from one group to another.

I've only been into wet shaving for two years. I started in the Tech Nerds group, as an example, I was fascinated by tools like the Kai Captain EXCELIA, I became obsessed and accumulated many, now I only have three. The design of the Tatara seemed the best to me and I ruled out any DE that looked old. Then I discovered straight razors and now I only shave with vintage straight razors, most of them are older than me. Now I know I'm in the last group. It has been a quick change from one group to another.
Yeah, the straight razor guys. They’re in a whole other category. I have a lot to say about them but I’ll leave that for another post

I’ve told this story before, that I bought tickets on line to see the Penguins but was unable to print out paper tickets. I called customer service and the Gen Xer who answered explained to me that the tickets would appear on my phone, to which I responded “why would I take a telephone to a hockey game?”. On the other end: silence.

Sounds like the younger generation in my family!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

can see that for many :) not sure if fits all

do think an option for those just wanting the best experience and are NOT collectors

for me:
no spreadsheets no 3d printed things or fancy holders

no massive step ritual I do have a very easy short routine that is consistent

no germaphobe I even squeeze the soap out of my brush back into the bowl to keep using the next day as it is still perfectly fine :) why waste it :)

would never buy or use based on price cheap or expensive ONLY performance for MY face and I can say one has to TRY and OWN things to truly know and to discount anything based on price alone IMHO is just silly and can sell yourself short of a great item
also I am the type to find the top 3 and then narrow those down to the very top item

do have Titanium only because I tried a bunch of razors and kept the one that I liked the most but far from rich

so one razor I use and have my dads from the 50s that started me down this path
tried about 55 blades to only keep the top one maybe two (backup in case #1 changes)
same thing with AS (cheap Tiger stuff) and I do love Old Spice
same thing with my brush I keep thinking of having one natural and one Synth but I only use my RV Muhle love that thing
do not try to stretch the use of my blades I know what I get out of them and bin them one day short as to always have the same perfect shave
same thing with soap I am going through soaps now only to have one maybe two and really the #2 will be more a backup to buy if the main one changes
I have decided to have a few Colognes/EDP/EDT whatever as I do love smelling good these days and again could care less about cost most likely will end up with a top 3 and be happy and most likely narrow that down to one for summer one for winter or maybe just ONE scent to rule them all :)

I will try the AC straight-style razors as I know I have no desire to maintain shaving gear which again I think is worth trying to really know as I could see that being a lot of fun to try and learn

Fun thread though and why I love this forum and even being that minimalist I wont be leaving as I love the shaving brotherhood :)

Last edited:
I’ve been reading B&B posts for 10 years or so and it seems there are 5 different kinds of folks who post here. I don’t believe they are representative of the shaving universe but are unique to the kinds of people who would post on a site dedicated to a mundane grooming activity.

The Tech Nerds

These guys are fascinated by shaving technology. They like obscure materials, strange designs and use spread sheets to document their shaves. This group is best represented by those who thought making a razor on a 3-D printer was “cool”.

The OCD’s

These folks obsess over tiny details and employ complicated 26 step rituals to accomplish the simple task of shaving. If you’re concerned with whether your ceramic shave scuttle keeps your distilled water hot enough for the duration of your 3 hour shave you are in this group.

The Germaphobes

This group is much larger in the B&B community than in the general population (thank God). These folks use gallons of boiling water and methyl alcohol, autoclaves and surgical gloves to avoid the toxic contamination that lurks amidst the soap and water in their bathrooms.

The Richie Rich’s

You know this group, the guys who have to have the most expensive shaving products on Earth, made of titanium, plutonium and diamonds, sperm whale soaps and yak urine shaving lotions. If someone else can afford it they don’t want it.

The Grumpy, Old Codgers

And then there’s my group, the old grumps who think all these young whippersnappers don’t know anything about much of anything except how to play with their phones and have about as much common sense as a lantern fly and get the h-ll off my lawn, anyway. We need more of these guys.

If you recognize yourself in these groups, and especially if you don’t, don’t be afraid to laugh at yourself and enjoy our eccentricities.
How about guys who like things simple and practical--and cheap? For instance I'm brand new, have hardly tried anything, but am already liking Shave Secret oil and my $5.99 eBay special Gillette Tech from 1965, with either a German Wilkinson Sword or Gillette Platinum blade (10¢ each in both cases from Razor Emporium). Quick, easy, effective, and makes my face feel great the rest of the day! I particularly love that the oil is its own post-shave balm. After the shave, you just...blot the excess water and Bob's your uncle.

Maybe I'm just not representative, because guys like me don't hang out on shaving forums. Or, maybe I'm just dipping a toe and I've still yet to become one of your five types listed above.

MtB

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I think it is missing the RAD, the Razor Acquisition Disorder group. RAD can happen in any of the mention groups above, though. :)

Then there are the Vintage nerds. They only shave with razors older than my grandma.
@Quaznoid should of added a #6 fellows who collect shinny things , vintage products, shave brushes, soaps and scuttles(bowls).
These fellows keep the shaving industry vibrant with new ideas IMO and their wallets a little emptier over time. Yup that's my category and enjoy it. Still saving money and spending it on shave gear!:a21:

Last edited:
I’ve been reading B&B posts for 10 years or so and it seems there are 5 different kinds of folks who post here. I don’t believe they are representative of the shaving universe but are unique to the kinds of people who would post on a site dedicated to a mundane grooming activity.

The Tech Nerds

These guys are fascinated by shaving technology. They like obscure materials, strange designs and use spread sheets to document their shaves. This group is best represented by those who thought making a razor on a 3-D printer was “cool”.

The OCD’s

These folks obsess over tiny details and employ complicated 26 step rituals to accomplish the simple task of shaving. If you’re concerned with whether your ceramic shave scuttle keeps your distilled water hot enough for the duration of your 3 hour shave you are in this group.

The Germaphobes

This group is much larger in the B&B community than in the general population (thank God). These folks use gallons of boiling water and methyl alcohol, autoclaves and surgical gloves to avoid the toxic contamination that lurks amidst the soap and water in their bathrooms.

The Richie Rich’s

You know this group, the guys who have to have the most expensive shaving products on Earth, made of titanium, plutonium and diamonds, sperm whale soaps and yak urine shaving lotions. If someone else can afford it they don’t want it.

The Grumpy, Old Codgers

And then there’s my group, the old grumps who think all these young whippersnappers don’t know anything about much of anything except how to play with their phones and have about as much common sense as a lantern fly and get the h-ll off my lawn, anyway. We need more of these guys.

If you recognize yourself in these groups, and especially if you don’t, don’t be afraid to laugh at yourself and enjoy our eccentricities.
I don't think the plutonium razor users make up a significant portion of our fellow shavers - they just done last very long here. See the attached photo of what happens after just one shave with a plutonium based razor.🤣

🤣🤣🤣

Attachments

• plutonshave.jpg
    plutonshave.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 4

The Tech Nerds

The OCD’s

The Germaphobes

The Richie Rich’s

The Grumpy, Old Codgers

P.S. Good start. Suspect there are many more characteristics such analysts, collectors (e.g. vintage, scents, container art, etc.) and value shavers (step up from cheap - I'm probably one of these who want quality shaving tools and software that deliver excellent shaves at reasonable prices).

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
100% Tech Nerd

At first glance, I may seem like a “Richie Rich” type because I have lots of seemingly expensive gear, Wolfmans, Paladins, etc.. I am definitely not though. Everything I acquire for shaving is in pursuit of engineering perfection. For example I did not buy three Charcoal Goods Level 2 razors to brag about them online. I got them to evaluate the difference between three different metals. And how differently does Gen 1 shave from Gen 2 given their variations in specs. How differently does a 26 mm Paladin lather from a 28 mm Paladin. I am scientifically inquisitive by nature. And I strive to experience the different technologies and how they give different results.

I am the same way with software. My fragrance needs are ridiculously simple. I love fruity or leathery/earthy stuff. Hate anything with a perfume or floral overtone. So that removes me from the vast majority of expensive shave soaps and aftershaves. I don’t need to spend $75 on a tub of soap to have a pleasing fruity smell. I am predominantly interested in how one base composition feels and shaves versus another.

Conversely, I am a huge history buff. And I’m a serial collector as well. So my utterly radical dive into hunting and collecting vintage razors has nothing whatsoever to do with my scientific approach to seeking out highly engineered modern razors constructed from high end materials. I seek out and use vintage razors for the mojo and nostalgia. I know going into every vintage shave that the end results will never be as good as those achievable with a modern razor. But that’s not the point of vintage razors for me.

No spreadsheets or germaphobing for me. And I’m not grumpy, nor consider myself that old yet to be called a codger. Although I’m getting there. 😎

But I do enjoy 3D printing razors and other shave accouterments. I’ve printed out shave bowls, brush handles and other stuff too. It’s fun, and scientific! There is a guy on here that designs lots of alternative base plates for the Tech, for example. I love printing those and seeing how small variations in the gap and exposure change the overall shave. It’s good stuff!

So according to the principles of the original post… I am squarely in the Tech Nerd category.

Top Bottom