What's new

Five Types of Shavers

I’ve been reading B&B posts for 10 years or so and it seems there are 5 different kinds of folks who post here. I don’t believe they are representative of the shaving universe but are unique to the kinds of people who would post on a site dedicated to a mundane grooming activity.

The Tech Nerds

These guys are fascinated by shaving technology. They like obscure materials, strange designs and use spread sheets to document their shaves. This group is best represented by those who thought making a razor on a 3-D printer was “cool”.

The OCD’s

These folks obsess over tiny details and employ complicated 26 step rituals to accomplish the simple task of shaving. If you’re concerned with whether your ceramic shave scuttle keeps your distilled water hot enough for the duration of your 3 hour shave you are in this group.

The Germaphobes

This group is much larger in the B&B community than in the general population (thank God). These folks use gallons of boiling water and methyl alcohol, autoclaves and surgical gloves to avoid the toxic contamination that lurks amidst the soap and water in their bathrooms.

The Richie Rich’s

You know this group, the guys who have to have the most expensive shaving products on Earth, made of titanium, plutonium and diamonds, sperm whale soaps and yak urine shaving lotions. If someone else can afford it they don’t want it.

The Grumpy, Old Codgers

And then there’s my group, the old grumps who think all these young whippersnappers don’t know anything about much of anything except how to play with their phones and have about as much common sense as a lantern fly and get the h-ll off my lawn, anyway. We need more of these guys.

If you recognize yourself in these groups, and especially if you don’t, don’t be afraid to laugh at yourself and enjoy our eccentricities.

Last edited:
How about if I careen erratically amongst categories as a grumpy old OCD nerd? While making fun (in my mind, such as it is) of wealthy (or maybe just improvident) germaphobes.

And a really fun guy, obviously. And both smart and wise...

But not at all self-important...

I’ve told this story before, that I bought tickets on line to see the Penguins but was unable to print out paper tickets. I called customer service and the Gen Xer who answered explained to me that the tickets would appear on my phone, to which I responded “why would I take a telephone to a hockey game?”. On the other end: silence.

I suppose I'm closest to a Grumpy Old Codger who's spent far to much $$$ on far too many razors, blades, soaps, brushes, etc...though I would never buy a $500 razor or $400 brush. My most extravagant razor is a stainless steel Vector (that I could easily live without)...and I could be happy with a single Gillette Tech, one blade, one soap, one brush.

I’ve told this story before, that I bought tickets on line to see the Penguins but was unable to print out paper tickets. I called customer service and the Gen Xer who answered explained to me that the tickets would appear on my phone, to which I responded “why would I take a telephone to a hockey game?”. On the other end: silence.
The last concert I went to, Jack White, was a no cell phones allowed show. The artist set the rules and no phones allowed in seating area. If you brought a phone, it was put in a supplied, locked, tamper proof bag and you could only use it in designated concourse area that were monitored by staff. No pics, no selfies, no live updates. It was awesome

He provided links after the show, to professional done photos, for anyone to download, save, use, print etc

Your comment reminded me of this pictures that made its way around online a few years ago.

Enjoy the moment.

1697925270654.png

Last edited:
Great post, and very accurate descriptions of shavers that post on this forum 🤣 I am with gpjoe and feel I am closest to the 'The Grumpy, Old Codgers'. I have also spent far too much money on razors, blades, soaps, brushes and splashes. At this point, I could probably open a local shave shop with the inventory I have.

My razor inventory is absolutely ridiculous, and I'll buy a razor just to find out if video reviewers are full of 💩 . On top of that, I'll buy multiples of razors that I like just to have a "backup" even though some of them could survive a large explosion. I have two Henson Ti22 razors, 4 Karve Overlanders, all levels of aggression Henson AL13s in the new and old version. Pretty sure I own every stainless steel razor ever made by RR. I also own 15 vintage razors and I cannot even count the number of standard old zamac common razors. I have over a dozen cheap razors just to see if they shave well, and they do just fine. However, I can't bring myself to spend $500 on a razor and find that ridiculous even though my razor inventory is ridiculous.

I have the entire scent spectrum in soaps and splashes with multiple artisans and still want to buy more. I have to have soaps for the mood I am in, which is also ridiculous. I just love soaps that set a mood or take me back in time.

I also post regularly on a shave forum and watch videos of men shaving on youtube. My family think I am crazy, but they find it relieving that I am easy to shop for on Holidays. Just buy me anything shave related and I am happy.

I am already looking forward to my shave, whiskey, and cigar tonight!

I am also glad I ran into you fine folks deep in the rabbit hole ! 🤣🍻

Last edited:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Definitely number 5, even more so since I discovered I had too much of everything and needed to cut back to just those razors, brushes, soaps and blades I enjoy. I am in the process of doing this and I'm such a grumpy codger I wonder why I didn't do it sooner.
The only thing that counts against me being a codger is I don't write long rambling posts about how every soap that gets reformulated has been ruined and things were better in the old days and why don't they use unicorn tallow anymore (I blame biofuels).

Total Tech Nerd!

Henson Razor First Use: October 14, 2021
"First ever Face and Head shave with the Henson AL 13 Mild. I had my doubts with the small blade gap but the results just blew me away! Ridiculously good!"

Henson Usage (number of shaves) through 10/21/2023
Total shave with Henson Razors: 693
Detailed breakdown by aggression:

Henson Mild = 326
Henson Medium = 102
Henson Aggressive= 265

Brush Usage through 10/21/2023
Omega = 45
Rudy Vey STF = 27
Semogue = 60
Simpson X3 = 33
Simpson CH2 = 55
Simpson T3 = 588

Tabac Usage through 10/21/2023
Lather: Tabac = 110

Paul

I'm a grumpy old codger with a very mild touch of OCD.

I'm one-and-done on blades, and l don't care how much soap goes down the drain when I'm finished, but I'm pretty cheap on most other aspects.

My razor was a garage sale score (birth year Super Adjustable bought in a lot for $20), my brush a twelve-year-old Walmart purchase. My aftershaves are the drug store variety...Old Spice (the dollar store knock off is better IMHO), Aqua Velva, Clubman Pinaud and the big bottle of Bay Rum that Sally Beauty used to carry. My soap was Williams until it's demise, now it's Proraso. And I don't worry much about my lather so long as it works.

Man, now this is a tough one for me. I am definitely not a Germaphobe, like to be clean of course and thorough but nope not that.

Richie Rich's, yes bought some expensive stuff but not sperm whale soap, yak urine shaving lotions, no diamonds. Hmm...... so a little bit of me is here minus the stuff I wrote, would not want that ever. I do also have the vintage and less expensive items as well so a gradient of stuff as I like all of it, the vintage (where I started with wetshaving) and the modern and all in between so.

The OCD's, hmm.., another no, thorough yes on research, keep notes, yes, keep a spreadsheet yes, but not OCD as described (this falls in The Tech Nerd but wanted to leave this in here).

The Grumpy, Old Codgers, yes the young are really dumb, I proudly am in this group years ahead of my time or years on time, depending on how you see age, I see myself as the Grumpy, the Old and "let" the young folks know they know nothing and if they didn't have their Iphones they would not know how to act, talk, walk, function or do anything.

The Tech Nerd, yes I have been here and still am here, to a large degree but no 3-D pritner razor, no obscure materials but spreadsheets and notes, yes, this I do have so if 1 category its the Tech Nerd but again I can't just say 1 category, I want to but its a bit too much because I do overlap on a few. You should add that specs is also a big thing here but some of the razors I got shave unlike you would expect the specs to do thereby changing this perspective slightly about the specs of a razor which still falls into Tech nerd.

So yea its a few things. See I was thorough, detailed after all..... 🔭 🔬 👨‍🔬 :001_smile

I think I have too much shaving gear (imho) but at the same time its fun and yes my family thinks I am crazy so in my eyes, I am doing something right! :yesnod:

Last edited:
Top Bottom