What's new

Five Types of Shavers

I think this is a pretty big group, depending on you how define it. I'd strike the germaphobe group (sure, they exist, but I don't think a single person is here because they're a germaphobe) and replace it with something like "bargain hunters." These are people who like the romance and tradition of vintage shaving, but who were really motivated to try wet shaving because they couldn't stomach handing over $20 for a package of cartridges. The automatic "I'm in"s for every PIF. People who might splurge on an item from time to time but who have at least one category (soap, brush, razor, blades, aftershave) in which they're proud to show off their frugality. The flea-store Tech they got for $2. The cheap boar brush they've used exclusively for 20 years. The homemade bay rum they also give as holiday gifts. The people who won't buy a blade that costs three times another blade out of principle -- despite the difference being pennies.

In short: people who require a product to be a good value to be a good product.
I see this group pretty regularly here. (Hell, I be this group sometimes.)
Yep. This right here.

Suspect you are right as those who shave more economically may have less to post about regarding details of our equipment versus high-end collectors. Perception of lots to talk about when one purchases a custom hand made/knotted $300-500 natural fiber brush versus how often will I post about my great $8.99 on-sale plissoft or @Quaznoid 's $4 boar beyond noting that these brushes are great value and work well for us. Recall a post about Italian Barber where it was noted that they sell lots more of the value price brushes versus the higher end options.
I was so proud of my $2 with free shipping 24mm Yaqi synthetic that I bought off of Aliexpress. And it does a great job! 😂🤣😂🤣. My pre-war Tech cost me about $10 and a I slipped it onto a handle that I got for about $7 on Aliexpress as well. A Henson was my big splurge but other than that, I've gotten enough blades through PIFs to where I'm years away from purchasing any, I have a puck of PdP No. 63 that I got through a PIF, and I have a frankensoap that probably costs me about $6 to put together.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
What about FOMOs, those whose fear of missing out on the best soap, razor, brush or blade leads them to buy, or try everything to find the very best gear. It may be confined to one category like owning 200 soaps or it may stray into Ritchie Rich territory when people build up a 100 razor collection. I know I have been like that with blades until I regained my sanity and have tried nearly 60. I even started in that direction with soaps before realising I had too much soap and stopped before picking up a lifetime supply. I found some great soaps on my journey and decided that it wouldn't get any better than ZM, MdC and SV for me. I loved my Rocca razor, but after acquiring a Lupo 95 SB which didn't set the world alight I decided I could hunt forever and not find another razor as good as the Rocca, same goes for the Muhle STF brushes.

I’m a hybrid of all but the germophobe.

I have 15 DE razors; 4 Gem razors; 13 brushes; 2 lather bowls, 1 brush scuttle and my grandfather‘s mug that is over 100 years old; hundreds of blades; a number of soaps and a number of aftershaves.

Despite the number of shaving items I own, I consider my den modest and complete other than the replacement of items consumed. In the last two years, I have only bought soap, blades and the Paladin Contributers’ brush.

When home, I primarily use my Ti Blackbird, except for the use of vintage razors to mark occasions (last Sunday an E4 Fatboy to mark my brother’s 64th birthday, Next Sunday will be C4 Flare Tip to mark my birthday and the following Sunday an A4 Red Tip in memory of my late wife).

I use a four brush rotation with an alternating 5th brush when home.

I will get well over 300 shaves from my MdC Rose soap that I use for every home shave.

Blades vary but are normally discarded after 4 shaves, except for Feathers after 3 shaves.

I found a certain brief respite from the pain of my late wife’s terminal illness and the period after her death during my shaving time and that probably caused me to buy more than I needed but it also gave me the opportunity to discover what I like.

Funny with all that said, I’m probably more in the grumpy old codger group.

You know this group, the guys who have to have the most expensive shaving products on Earth, made of titanium, plutonium and diamonds, sperm whale soaps and yak urine shaving lotions. If someone else can afford it they don’t want it.
I am Richie Rich.

DSCF5240.JPG

This is a great categorization! Guilty as Charged: I am a grumpy nerdy, germaphobe. But here is a screenshot of my cool spreadsheet I use to produce useless usage stats :D I have bottles of 70% and 90% isopropyl alcohol as I go through this stuff like water. I love my plated brass razors that don't have serial numbers or fancy aerospace inspired names and materials!

View attachment 1737811

The red cells (F column) is the term I enter to be parsed in the main spreed sheet for partial or complete text matches to count up the instances (H column). I also have bottles of 70% and 90% isopropyl alcohol as I go through this stuff like water. I used the Formulatext function in the J column so you can readily see what I did.
I think making spreadsheets and looking at statistics is a perfectly normal activity for a wet shaver. 👍

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
So I guess I belong to 1?
I'm obsessed with finding oddly designed razors and digging into their history or design stories.

For example, I found the razor "Cintika--Porgy 'n Bass", which is not expensive but has a very interesting shape.
img_1_1698406915393.jpg

The maker even recorded a peculiar "song" specifically for it, which I really think is very cool.
Porgy and bass swimming in the sea,
S-H-A-V-I-N-G
First comes love ,then this adage

Soon you have your hairs all trimmed and managed.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Nerd. Above all else, Nerd.

I’d like to be a geek, but my powers of hyperfixation are only so strong.

Whether it’s a vintage razor with whatever gimmick opened wallets back in the day or a 3D-printed razor shaped like a chasmosaurinae critter or sticking a plastic handle on a new or vintage razor, I’m in!

Air in lather?! What am I? Some kind of masochistic, self-flagellating lunatic?! There’re ways of avoiding such misery? I’m in!

How about guys who like things simple and practical--and cheap? For instance I'm brand new, have hardly tried anything, but am already liking Shave Secret oil and my $5.99 eBay special Gillette Tech from 1965, with either a German Wilkinson Sword or Gillette Platinum blade (10¢ each in both cases from Razor Emporium). Quick, easy, effective, and makes my face feel great the rest of the day! I particularly love that the oil is its own post-shave balm. After the shave, you just...blot the excess water and Bob's your uncle.

Maybe I'm just not representative, because guys like me don't hang out on shaving forums. Or, maybe I'm just dipping a toe and I've still yet to become one of your five types listed above.

MtB
Guys like me don't hang around shave forums? Or dipping your toes...?
Have fun dip all you want.
Just apply some pre shave before you dip....sorry, had to..
My wacky so called self proclaimed humor, keeps me out of the grumpy bucket.

I also really don't fall into any of those 5 types also. But I have been shaving for 50 years...Foundation of old school adding and open to modern tech will cost limitations.
I do fall into what most of these great B&B fall into, the love of the shave, to guide, share, and have fun.
Glad you have found your starter kit, great you are on a roll...
On buy the way, the water in fine...no sharks in this water.
You don't have to swim, just put on the floaties. ...splash around and have some fun...
It great to have new eyes here.
Maybe someday I will bump into you at CVS...
Cheers
BFX
If you are not having fun, you are doing it wrong...

Top Bottom