What's new

A Wet Shaver's New York

Chadao, thanks for sharing the stories about your current NYC trip. It sounds so fantastic and at least I get to imagine it through your stories. A room looking down on Times Square sounds fantastic and I would love to be in some really swanky office buildings way up looking out at all the other buildings. Then, sitting on a great rooftop with a view of all the best buildings in the city...come on. Does it get any better than that? Plus this time of year I imagine the temperature is very beautiful both daytime and in the evenings. I really wish I could be there. Thanks again for sharing.

The Dean, Silent Tuba...thanks for the additional tips. I am always refining my NYC trip in my head and rearranging the things I want to do while I am there. I would much rather hear from people who have actually been there as opposed to reviews or TV shows....you never know the intention behind those really.

Thinking about money...I really want a bottle of Knize Ten Cologne. It's $100 at Pasteur (and I darned near bought the Knize shave soap refill for $40), but I can get the cologne online for $70. I think I shall forego another trip to Pasteur this month, and pull the Knize cologne trigger. Luca Turin says scent houses love expensive after shaves...they can water down the colognes and make twice as much moola. So I'll spend more for cologne, and less for AS...shoot, I've got enough Pinaud AS alone to last me a decade.

I did some cross checking for some of the goodies I bought at Pasteur last week, and with a few exceptions it appeared most items were comparable in price to online vendors at a first glance. I was quite surprised to see that.

Yes, I was surprised, too. The prices WERE reasonable.

I did some cross checking for some of the goodies I bought at Pasteur last week, and with a few exceptions it appeared most items were comparable in price to online vendors at a first glance. I was quite surprised to see that.

Don't forget these tips for traveling in NY:

WOW, that is just fantastic. Great advice, too.

I was a tour guide in Niagara Falls while in college. It became clear then that tourists aren't people---they are another thing, entirely.

As my good friends in NYC often say, "Welcome to New York! Now leave."

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to New York once several years ago.

A guy tried to mug me on the steps of the Brooklyn Museum of Natural History.

He forgot his gun, though and I wound up keeping my wallet.

I guess the Wrangler's, cowboy boots, and general "Okie" image made me a target.

:lol:X 3

That sums it up nicely (but you're not all jerks) :tongue_sm.

Another very interesting observation about many New Yorkers:

Yes, all New Yorkers (in NY) are ALWAYS in a hurry, no matter where they are going or what they are doing. It is in the DNA. Period.

If you get in the way (as clearly stated in the video) you are probably going to get mowed down (at least verbally). It is nothing personal; there are simply tons of people living in a space that's too small to hold them and if everyone bumbled around, we would get NOWHERE. Having said that, if you approach a New Yorker from the side (by this I mean in a manner which is not in his/her intended direct pathway to work, home, bar, Auntie's for Sunday gravy, etc.), they will ironically stop, take ample time to give you over the top directions, tell you about great places to visit along the way, and often engage you in their life story.

Also, good advice on the pizza, as it goes for New York, but trust me, if you can find the time, take the Metro North to New Haven if you really like pizza. New Haven is heavily populated with 'Napolitan' Italians (where pizza came from - they call it 'apizza' in New Haven - pronounced 'abeets') and it is completely worth the 1.5 hours on the train if you're an afficianado. I have not even found pizza in parts of Italy that is this good.

P.S. If you want to be slow, bumbling and indecisive (and fit in a little better), cross the line into Nassau or Suffolk Counties. :tongue_sm

I'll be in Manhattan for a few days in 2 weeks; any suggestions for the best place to get a shave? Would prefer an actual straight shave, as opposed to a shavette (not sure it there still are any such places in NY)

Went to Pasteur's for the first time a few weeks back. My girlfriend lives in NY so I'll have a chance to go back in november. I was wondering if there was any difference between the two locations? Does one have a greater selection over the other? I bought a mekur 37c slant, some myrsol Antisol, and a tube of Musgo classic. I could have browsed for hours.

Went to Pasteur's for the first time a few weeks back. My girlfriend lives in NY so I'll have a chance to go back in november. I was wondering if there was any difference between the two locations? Does one have a greater selection over the other? I bought a mekur 37c slant, some myrsol Antisol, and a tube of Musgo classic. I could have browsed for hours.

I talked to one of the owners and one of the store employees and they both said that the Midtown location had better selection. I never bothered to visit the one on the Upper East Side because of this.

Nick, thanks for the reply. When I was there last week I went to the upper east side one. Next time I'm hitting the midtown location for sure!

Yes, thanks Nick. I considered visiting the other store, but now I'll keep going to the midtown...Oh, and I had forgotten about the infamous trap door until I was standing on it and someone was trying to get out. :tongue_sm

I have been out of bed for one hour and my day has literally peaked. If anything better than this comes along today I may get swept up in paroxysms of joy.

-Greg

I'm not entirely sure if they stock different items, but the 34th St location is better organized and slightly more spacious. They have many razors and brushes on display where at the UES location a lot of the nice stuff seems tucked away behind a glass display to the left of the checkout register. If you have the option of going to either, hit up 34th.

Yeah, razors...holy Moly! They had Tradere, ATT, iKon,FaTip, Feather...Oh my aching pocket book...lucky I'm too busy to go back today.
But watch out New York, I've just learned I'm coming back next month.

I'm not entirely sure if they stock different items, but the 34th St location is better organized and slightly more spacious. They have many razors and brushes on display where at the UES location a lot of the nice stuff seems tucked away behind a glass display to the left of the checkout register. If you have the option of going to either, hit up 34th.

awesome! ya I felt very "in the way" at the UES location, and I sorta rushed to get out of there. They clerks seemed to be bothered everytime I asked for some help. I'll be back in the city in about a month so I'm really excited to stop by the 34th street store. Wish we had a store like this in Hollywood

Top Bottom