What's new

A Wet Shaver's New York

I had some time in Manhattan today, so I made two stops.
1. Fifth Avenue Barber Shop

I got my usual, #3 on top, #2 on the sides. Robert did a bang up job, very nice, finishing with a straight shave on the neck, Pinaud Talcum, and a hot cloth over my head, face, and neck. I will go again.

2. Then on to Pasteur Pharmacy on 34th.

I was determined not to spend more than $50. I had run out of aftershave balm and had PIFed my AS. I had also re-fallen in love with Feathers. I had also gone through most of a small bar of MWF Bath Soap. Hence my purchases. Oh, and I'd been meaning to pick up a LaToja shave stick...or a Tabac. I was closing on five weeks on the road. My Sir Irisch Moos Shave Cream had been a disappointment, and I mostly used da Fat on da Road. So I looked forward to a change of pace. My first shave with the LaToja was just swell, but my dinner meeting was early, my first shave had been late, and my new Feather peeled my face down some. The Tabac AS burned something fierce...but oh what a fine time I had. I spent $65.

Last edited:
You have just done 2 of the things on my short list of things to do in NYC. Congrats on what sounds like a really great afternoon.

I have never been to NYC, but I have wanted to go for years and years. I wanted to live there at one point, but now I think I am too old and set in my ways to adjust to the type of life NYC would entail. I'd finish the afternoon you just had with a hot pastrami on rye at either Katz's or Carnegie Deli and a walk in Central Park. Later I'd grab a couple of slices of pie and visit Times Square. I have no clue if any of that stuff is close enough to each other to even accomplish, but I figure that's what the subway or cabs are for.

***edit***

Oh, and I do a #2 on the sides and either a 4 or 5 on top, depending on whether the stylist/barber use plastic or metal guards on the clipper. Yes, that 1/32nd of an inch difference makes a difference to me. I get my hair cut every 2 weeks like clockwork. I cease to function if I have to go much longer. One of the most stressful things about my move from OK to Texas was the thought of leaving my stylist behind. It took me 3 years to find her, 3 months to train her and then I had almost 2 years of haircut nirvana every other Wednesday afternoon.

Last edited:
Very nice, Pierce. Thanks for sharing. $16 for a haircut in NYC is a pretty good deal. This post just reminded me, once again, how badly I need a haircut.

How was your dinner?

And Jeff, your plan is very doable. Might want to spread those things over two days, but no problem doing them all in one. Probably want to plan where to get the slices, though. While NYC has some great pizza, the average walk-in joint on the street can be very pedestrian. Of course, I'm a bit of a pizza snob---but not over the top, snobbish, I don't think.

Jeff, I started out a Texas boy, no idea what I am now. Curiously, went back to my hotel--Marriott Marquis at 46th and Broadway...I can look down upon Times Square from my 22nd floor window. I went back to the hotel and had a pastrami on rye. Not a classic, but PDG. Took a cab down to the Flatiron Building for a publishing meeting.
Arrive early, motored around the block (THE best thing about New York is the walking.), and spotted Sephora. Ran in for a quick sniff and back out for the meeting.
My publishing-chick friend promised to do Sephora with me next month (Planning on another hair cut and maybe visiting the other Pasteur.). I have become obsessed with scent. Luca Turin is my new hero.
Went into the Flatiron...my publisher buddy in there literally has J. Jonah Jameson's office, looking uptown. Holy Moly, but this day is la dolce vita, neh? Throwing in a little Italian for The Deano...continued on next post, where The Dean says...

You have just done 2 of the things on my short list of things to do in NYC. Congrats on what sounds like a really great afternoon.

I have never been to NYC, but I have wanted to go for years and years. I wanted to live there at one point, but now I think I am too old and set in my ways to adjust to the type of life NYC would entail. I'd finish the afternoon you just had with a hot pastrami on rye at either Katz's or Carnegie Deli and a walk in Central Park. Later I'd grab a couple of slices of pie and visit Times Square. I have no clue if any of that stuff is close enough to each other to even accomplish, but I figure that's what the subway or cabs are for.

***edit***

Oh, and I do a #2 on the sides and either a 4 or 5 on top, depending on whether the stylist/barber use plastic or metal guards on the clipper. Yes, that 1/32nd of an inch difference makes a difference to me. I get my hair cut every 2 weeks like clockwork. I cease to function if I have to go much longer. One of the most stressful things about my move from OK to Texas was the thought of leaving my stylist behind. It took me 3 years to find her, 3 months to train her and then I had almost 2 years of haircut nirvana every other Wednesday afternoon.

So The Dean says (see below)...Dean, we ate at an Indian restaurant, Tamarand, that is so good, you can't call it Indian. Wow. Then off to J.J. Jameson's apartment. Tea on the roof with his lovely Russian bio-chemist wife, (My Tea, one of my specialties--the best Silver Needle in the world.) and a perfect view of practically every tall architectural marvel in the city. Back to Times Square in a taxi... and now one of those 50 foot high screens flashing in my hotel window. Don't stay on Broadway...great little hotels over on W. 39th between 8th and 9th--got this room through a Comic Con deal. To sleep, perchance all that jazz, and tomorrow Comic Con.

Very nice, Pierce. Thanks for sharing. $16 for a haircut in NYC is a pretty good deal. This post just reminded me, once again, how badly I need a haircut.

How was your dinner?

And Jeff, your plan is very doable. Might want to spread those things over two days, but no problem doing them all in one. Probably want to plan where to get the slices, though. While NYC has some great pizza, the average walk-in joint on the street can be very pedestrian. Of course, I'm a bit of a pizza snob---but not over the top, snobbish, I don't think.

Last edited:
I'm a bit of a snob too. I was thinking either Lombardi's, Ray's, Ray's or Ray's.

John's in the West Village, Lombardi's near the Bowery, Angelo's in Mid-Town---your best bet is to find a coal burning, brick oven pizza, IMO. It's been a while since I've been there. Last time I was there (2-3 years ago) there were some newer places (walk-in slice joints) that weren't too bad. One was a multi-location place. But I can't remember the name. (What good am I?)

Rays (Famous Rays, Original Rays, Famous Original Rays, Original Famous Rays, Honest to Goodness We Are Really The Real Original Famous Rays, etc) can be a rather uneventful experience, IMO. Many many years ago I kind of liked the Rays on 6th and 11th--but I think that's closed. Even so, it was packed with cheese and the crust wasn't of the artisan variety. I tend toward really thin, well baked (a bit black even) crust. YMMV, as always.

So The Dean says (see below)...Dean, we ate at an Indian restaurant, Tamarand, that is so good, you can't call it Indian. Wow. Then off to J.J. Jameson's apartment. Tea on the roof with his lovely Russian bio-chemist wife, (My Tea, one of my specialties--the best Silver Needle in the world.) and a perfect view of practically every tall architectural marvel in the city. Back to Times Square in a taxi... and now one of those 50 foot high screens flashing in my hotel window. Don't stay on Broadway...great little hotels over on W. 39th between 8th and 9th--got this room through a Comic Con deal. To sleep, perchance all that jazz, and tomorrow Comic Con.

Sounds like a great time, Pierce. I need an NYC (and a SF) trip soon. Been too long.

I'm not an Indian aficionado. I do know I love lamb vindaloo and I like it so hot the waiter is afraid to carry it to the table---and the people at the next table complain it is burning their noses.

I will be PMing you for tea advice some day.

How did you only spend $65 in Pasteur's? I tried to be frugal on my first visit, only to return the next day and really go crazy.

By setting my limit at $50? And I will be back next month.

Good call! First time I went there it took me a really long time just to process exactly how much stuff they had there. It was incredible! I live in New Jersey but I am so busy with school and work that I almost have no time to go. It's frustrating because I go to school in Newark which really isn't that far from NYC but it is just too time consuming.

Two things I really wanted...and may go back for Saturday...Fatip Grande and Knize Ten Shave Soap.

Good call! First time I went there it took me a really long time just to process exactly how much stuff they had there. It was incredible! I live in New Jersey but I am so busy with school and work that I almost have no time to go. It's frustrating because I go to school in Newark which really isn't that far from NYC but it is just too time consuming.

***edit***

Do yourself a favor, and skip Katz's and the Carnegie Deli. Both have become little more than tourist traps, and the food, frankly, is not that great. Head down to Little Italy, and grab a meal at an Italian place; any one will do, they're all pretty good. Or, just a few blocks away, grab some great food in Chinatown.

Katz's may well be a tourist trap but it is an interesting experience if you are from a much smaller city. More importantly, it is well located for a little rest and fuel if you are prowling the many interesting shops in that end of town. Lots of shave related items and quality hard to find men's clothing near by. Kept my wife happy enough to continue on a longish trek and allow me to achieve several goals. That said, we had other restaurants to check out nearby but they didn't open till too late. Been planning to get back there for almost two years and Katz's is on the go to list again.

Darn near got mugged passing into Chinatown last visit. Always exciting. Hope to return later this year. Good thread gentlemen, hope it keeps going.

The second trip is the one to watch out for! I was relatively well behaved on the first because I did try to limit my purchases. The second and third time I went back really set the stage for Tabactober and an instant cream section in my den. I haven't been to Carnegie Deli in ten years but my father recently went and said it was mediocre. In all fairness he is a pessimist though and it is probably better than he described although I cannot speak for it. What I can speak for is the food in little Italy. You really can't go wrong down there. Have yourself a cannoli while you're down there, you'll know where to go.

I also love the restaurants on 9th between about 40th and 50th.

And go to Chinatown and have some pissing dumplings (soup dumplings).

The second trip is the one to watch out for! I was relatively well behaved on the first because I did try to limit my purchases. The second and third time I went back really set the stage for Tabactober and an instant cream section in my den. I haven't been to Carnegie Deli in ten years but my father recently went and said it was mediocre. In all fairness he is a pessimist though and it is probably better than he described although I cannot speak for it. What I can speak for is the food in little Italy. You really can't go wrong down there. Have yourself a cannoli while you're down there, you'll know where to go.

Thinking about money...I really want a bottle of Knize Ten Cologne. It's $100 at Pasteur (and I darned near bought the Knize shave soap refill for $40), but I can get the cologne online for $70. I think I shall forego another trip to Pasteur this month, and pull the Knize cologne trigger. Luca Turin says scent houses love expensive after shaves...they can water down the colognes and make twice as much moola. So I'll spend more for cologne, and less for AS...shoot, I've got enough Pinaud AS alone to last me a decade.

Top Bottom