What's new

A thread that isn't really about "Opinions on Lilac Vegetal scent"

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Wow even Arko doesn’t get that kind of animosity.
That is because Arko smells like what is commonly used to clean up lilac vegetal.
I bought the small bottle just to try it after reading about it. The scent was unmistakable. Reminded me of childhood vacations, when we would pull into a truck stop off the highway. White gas station with the restrooms on the outside of the building. You had to go in to the attendant and get the key hay-bale-wired to a board. You unlock the door and walk in. And there it was. The scent of Lilac Vegetal. I didn't know it then. To me, I just thought it was the stink of the restroom, never cleaned since the 1960s. My nose curled up, and I just tried to go as fast as I could, so I could get out of there, hoping the stench didn't stick to me or soak into my clothes.

So 1970s highway rest stop bathroom stench, bottled, so that someone can splash it on his face. For some unfathomable reason. Olfactory failure? We'll never know.
You need Arko. I'll take Arko over Lilac Vegetal any day of the week.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
It ain't like this. If you think it is, I don't feel animosity towards you, just sadness.
It's not the Veg that is bad, regretfully, it's you.
Nature has provided a physical chemical cocktail in your body which reacts poorly with the amazing Lilac Vegetal.
Don't blame the messenger for your chemical deficiencies.

This is the truth. It is probably your body. You need to reset your body's entire chemistry before condemning Lilac Vegetal. Try a 30 day water fast and then reapply the Veg and see if there's a difference.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
This is the truth. It is probably your body. You need to reset your body's entire chemistry before condemning Lilac Vegetal. Try a 30 day water fast and then reapply the Veg and see if there's a difference.
I don't think it will help. People either have the chemistry or they don't.
I suggest that folks who think Lilac Vegetal smells bad should consume a cleansing drink of 6 grams strychnine mixed thoroughly with 6 ounces of hydrochloric acid.
It won't cleanse their body, but it will cleanse these threads of people who think Lilac Vegetal smells bad.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I suggest that folks who think Lilac Vegetal smells bad should consume a cleansing drink of 6 grams strychnine mixed thoroughly with 6 ounces of hydrochloric acid.
It won't cleanse their body, but it will cleanse these threads of people who think Lilac Vegetal smells bad.
I see you are suggesting a measured approach.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
It ain't like this. If you think it is, I don't feel animosity towards you, just sadness.
It's not the Veg that is bad, regretfully, it's you.
Nature has provided a physical chemical cocktail in your body which reacts poorly with the amazing Lilac Vegetal.
Don't blame the messenger for your chemical deficiencies.

The question is really whether you should want your body chemistry to react well with something that smells like Lilac Vegetal...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
See post #24
More like this...

swamp_thing_5.17.13.jpg

I must say this thread has made me revisit an old experiment of mine.

The veg come from clubman in a plastic bottle. It has been said that transferring to a glass bottle makes a positive difference.

It has been two years since I have transferred half of the plastic bottle to a empty Cholula bottle. I decided to take them both out and give them a whiff tonight.

The glass Cholula bottle 100% makes a huge difference, zero doubt in my mind. The veg had a powdery, floral, spring like fragrance and it kept me coming back for more whiffs.

The veg in the plastic, well, you've all read the jokes here. One whiff was enough.

Tomorrow I will try the veg out of the glass to see how it smells during dry down.

But I can 100% confidently inform all the gentleman here that glass does improve things. Tested and verified.

Wether or not it is worth it to transfer a $7 aftershave to a glass bottle and let it sit for two years to be useable? Well, that's up to the individual

+1000 points for decanting it in a Cholula bottle. Just sayin'.

Perhaps there is a chance for the Veg to perform. I'm still dubious, but a couple years in a hot sauce bottle likely hides a lot of crimes.
You guys inspired me. I bought a 12oz bottle of green Cholula which will look lovely filled with the Veg.

Don't do it! Keep the hot sauce, toss the Veg! Keep your family safe!

I think the real crime here is that Clubman is uses plastic bottles. All, and I mean all, of my quality aftershaves come in glass, and clubman would probably boost sales from their customers not getting turned off by whatever smells the plastic imparts on their products. I don't know if it's a cost thing or they have trouble sourcing glass or it's safer to ship in plastic or what, but it isn't good. I would gladly pay an extra dollar or even two if they switched to glass and needed to cover the cost

I think the real crime here is that Clubman is uses plastic bottles. All, and I mean all, of my quality aftershaves come in glass, and clubman would probably boost sales from their customers not getting turned off by whatever smells the plastic imparts on their products. I don't know if it's a cost thing or they have trouble sourcing glass or it's safer to ship in plastic or what, but it isn't good. I would gladly pay an extra dollar or even two if they switched to glass and needed to cover the cost
This seems to be the consensus among the Clubman users around here. I wonder if a petition would make them consider maybe giving a glass bottle option.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
OK, I'll be the country mouse that doesn't understand the point of decanting an aftershave in glass. I'll also be the foodie/chef that completely understands decanting a bottle of wine...

I've given some loves for my B&B members that are putting their Veg in Cholula bottles. But only because the foodie in me finds that kinda hilarious. Also let me put forward that I'd rather use badger urine laced with ground glass over Lilac Vegtal. I genuinely find the odor offensive. Really. Yuck, no, never, gross... YMMV.

My question is, without having done ANY research, does changing the container of ANY aftershave (for the sake of the thread, the Veg in particular) from plastic to glass REALLY change the characteristics of it? Please keep in mind that I understand that plastic is not an ideal container for many liquids for a multitude of reasons. But I'm a tad dubious when it comes to actually changing the scent/performance of a CHEAP/NASTY aftershave.

If I were to decant a bottle of wine I'm not going to put a bottle of 2 Buck Chuck into a Riedel Fatto crystal cordetto decanter. There is simply not enough improvement to be made on such a lousy product. I'd wager that even a Cholula bottle wouldn't improve said $2 Chuck significantly. Please understand that I have a huge amount of respect for Charles Shaw and that I completely understand "Don't you get it? They're charging too much for the water."

Splain it to me like I'm 5 years old. I have a couple nice decanters for wine and use them when appropriate. Have you actually found that placing this nastiness into a glass container gives it any redeeming qualities whatsoever?

Last edited:
OK, I'll be the country mouse that doesn't understand the point of decanting an aftershave in glass. I'll also be the foodie/chef that completely understands decanting a bottle of wine...

I've given some loves for my B&B members that are putting their Veg in Cholula bottles. But only because the foodie in me finds that kinda hilarious. Also let me put forward that I'd rather use badger urine laced with ground glass over Lilac Vegtal. I genuinely find the odor offensive. Really. Yuck, no, never, gross... YMMV.

My question is, without having done ANY research, does changing the container of ANY aftershave (for the sake of the thread, the Veg in particular) from plastic to glass REALLY change the characteristics of it? Please keep in mind that I understand that plastic is not an ideal container for many liquids for a multitude of reasons. But I'm a tad dubious when it comes to actually changing the scent/performance of a CHEAP/NASTY aftershave.

If I were to decant a bottle of wine I'm not going to put a bottle of 2 Buck Chuck into a Riedel Fatto crystal cordetto decanter. There is simply not enough improvement to be made on such a lousy product. I'd wager that even a Cholula bottle wouldn't improve said $2 Chuck significantly. Please understand that I have a huge amount of respect for Charles Shaw and that I completely understand "Don't you get it? They're charging too much for the water."

Splain it to me like I'm 5 years old. I have a couple nice decanters for wine and use them when appropriate. Have you actually found that placing this nastiness into a glass container gives it any redeeming qualities whatsoever?
I have not decanted the Veg yet, but I have with original Clubman and the Virgin Island Bay Rum. It does seem to smooth out some of the rough edges and balance the scents.

The science part of my brain says it doesn't make sense. And I haven't proved that is the material of the bottle and not interaction with the air that causes the change.

Top Bottom