What's new

A thread that isn't really about "Opinions on Lilac Vegetal scent"

Wine is decanted first to remove the sediment, lees, from the wine. Second, it is to allow the wine (or whisky) to oxygenate and the smells bloom a bit. Extrapolating for the rotten Veg, that would mean the foul odors would no longer be contained and mixed with oxygen would cause a chemical reaction akin to mustard gas.

OK, I'll be the country mouse that doesn't understand the point of decanting an aftershave in glass. I'll also be the foodie/chef that completely understands decanting a bottle of wine...

I've given some loves for my B&B members that are putting their Veg in Cholula bottles. But only because the foodie in me finds that kinda hilarious. Also let me put forward that I'd rather use badger urine laced with ground glass over Lilac Vegtal. I genuinely find the odor offensive. Really. Yuck, no, never, gross... YMMV.

My question is, without having done ANY research, does changing the container of ANY aftershave (for the sake of the thread, the Veg in particular) from plastic to glass REALLY change the characteristics of it? Please keep in mind that I understand that plastic is not an ideal container for many liquids for a multitude of reasons. But I'm a tad dubious when it comes to actually changing the scent/performance of a CHEAP/NASTY aftershave.

If I were to decant a bottle of wine I'm not going to put a bottle of 2 Buck Chuck into a Riedel Fatto crystal cordetto decanter. There is simply not enough improvement to be made on such a lousy product. I'd wager that even a Cholula bottle wouldn't improve said $2 Chuck significantly. Please understand that I have a huge amount of respect for Charles Shaw and that I completely understand "Don't you get it? They're charging too much for the water."

Splain it to me like I'm 5 years old. I have a couple nice decanters for wine and use them when appropriate. Have you actually found that placing this nastiness into a glass container gives it any redeeming qualities whatsoever?

Okay, I don't know if it helps the veg, but , with regular pinaud clubman the plastic in the bottles would " Leech " and give an off scent to clubman. By taking and using a glass bottle ( I use soy sauce Bottles , the brand I use has a green lid and a reducer so it "fits" ) you can counteract the leeching process and remove the plastic scent that clubman develops.. The process is NOT instant, it can take several weeks to remove the "off" smell.. Its not that hard to do and I fear that if Pinaud were to change back to glass that they would in turn put themselves out of some peoples price range.. I say just have a bottle ready and then go buy clubman and transfer it yourself because in the long run it will be cheaper.....

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I wonder if the Veg would attract Adrienne Barbeau.;)
I don't know about that, but it might attract Pepe Le Pew
download.png

Lilac Vegetal! Because 95% of women have no idea what a urinal puck smells like!

Took delivery of these items a short while ago from Maggards.
20240314_142920.jpg

Now I just had to figure out how to get that, into this.
20240311_194515.jpg

I eventually first decanted the Veg into an empty bottle of witch hazel. The nipple spout would just fit into the opening of the glass bottle. All I had to do was squeeze. Very little spillage.
20240314_151727.jpg

According to the posts, I should give this a few weeks inside the new glass environment to achieve its proper scent. So I guess I'm putting this in the cabinet.

I couldn't help but notice a difference between the old label and the new label.

Old:

Healing-helps heal tiny nicks
Antiseptic-reduces risk of infection
Deodorant-protects for hours
Cooling-invigorating

New:

Crisp-masculine fragrance
Cooling-invigorating
Refreshing-tones the skin
All-over body wash

I agree with everything except the idea of using this as an all over body wash. In the words of Dr. Egon Spengler, "It would be bad."
c00481aa-8303-4992-bb67-1c975ff1fd99_text.gif

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Lilac Vegetal! Because 95% of women have no idea what a urinal puck smells like!

Took delivery of these items a short while ago from Maggards.
View attachment 1812406
Now I just had to figure out how to get that, into this.
View attachment 1812407
I eventually first decanted the Veg into an empty bottle of witch hazel. The nipple spout would just fit into the opening of the glass bottle. All I had to do was squeeze. Very little spillage.
View attachment 1812413

According to the posts, I should give this a few weeks inside the new glass environment to achieve its proper scent. So I guess I'm putting this in the cabinet.

I couldn't help but notice a difference between the old label and the new label.

Old:

Healing-helps heal tiny nicks
Antiseptic-reduces risk of infection
Deodorant-protects for hours
Cooling-invigorating

New:

Crisp-masculine fragrance
Cooling-invigorating
Refreshing-tones the skin
All-over body wash

I agree with everything except the idea of using this as an all over body wash. In the words of Dr. Egon Spengler, "It would be bad."
View attachment 1812420
I do know this much: the Clubman I transferred into a glass container just gets better every single time I open it. Seriously. If it were sold that way today Pinaud could charge 4x the price. Incredible the difference it made.

I am truthfully tolerant of most of the controversial scents.
Arko - no problems; simple generic lemon. Synthetic, but not offensive.
Tabac - really enjoy it.
Clubman Special Reserve - lovely stuff.
XPEC Original - really enjoy it - dark rose scent.

However, I met my match with the Veg. I most certainly am not chosen.

Top Bottom