What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Even though I was pretty smooth yesterday stubble reappeared quite quickly which I thought was interesting as I had shaved with the OC Game Changer.
I have the GC 68 in SB and OC and the Lupo 95 in SB and OC. I’ve found no difference in efficiency or aggression between their respective SB and OC versions when daily shaving. I think they are open comb in name, but they really are more safety bars with notches cut out as opposed to a true open comb like the Merkur 15C where the blade rests on top of a comb. I think RR’s take on open combs is to get better efficiency on longer stubble after not shaving for a few days, but it does nothing to change the blade gap or get the blade closer to your skin. Based on that, it makes no difference for daily shaving stubble.

At least that’s my working hypothesis.

Last edited:
I have the GC 68 in SB and OC and the Lupo 95 in SB and OC. I’ve found no difference in efficiency or aggression between their respective SB and OC versions when daily shaving. I think they are open comb in name, but they really are more safety bars with notches cut out as opposed to a true open comb like the Merkur 15C where the blade rests on top of a comb. I think RR’s take on open combs is to get better efficiency on longer stubble after not shaving for a few days, but it does nothing to change the blade gap or get the blade closer to your skin. Based on that, it makes no difference for daily shaving stubble.

At least that’s my working hypothesis.
Sounds logical to me Jay - smart thinking Dr Watson!

In that case I would say the SB is more comfortable on the skin for me.

Guido.

Thanks for supporting JK! These new handles are not for me :001_smile! I like that he’s busy and not sitting in the same chair all day. So these brushes will be finding other owners. Besides I truly have enough brushes. So there is no hint from me to him. That’s the whole reason I showed him my collection in the first place! Haha!

And if I were to fail I would ask my dad to make enough to make into a group buy! :thumbup:

Cheers and thanks again!

Guido
Oh, ok
Sorry for the misunderstanding

Crap, I mustn't have been reading your posts closely enough. It doesn't sound like the Rubie is a comfortable blade for you. I find that even though the Rubie keeps its sharpness, after 3 shaves it gets a little harsh.
Less comfortable at least, but not nearly enough to call it quits. It’s not in the Sputnik or Treet camp for me. I am totally guessing and I haven’t looked it up, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the difference between the Rubie and the Plus is in the platinum coating.

Date13.05.2024
366 daily shaves
134/366

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle Rocca R94Gillette Rubie (7)Mühle Rocca R94 Silvertip
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
TGS Savage (19)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9.75/10 (Almost clean)6/10 (Razor sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.75/10
(BBS-)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. A majestic Monday shave with what is probably my forever razor. A superb set. Smiling from ear to ear.

Razor and blade. Last run with the Rubie was wonderful. The Rocca made it behave very nicely. Good blade, but not necessarily for me. Also based on my statistics it scores in the lower part of all the blades I have tried so far (since recording my shaves that is). The Rocca is a miracle razor. It just works for me and works well. Depending on how I sort my data, the Rocca lands either on top or in the Top 5 at least. With the R89 and this R94 you would really have sorted travelling (R89) and home shaves (R94).

Brush and lather. It is smaller in size, but in performance you wouldn’t know. Wonderfully rich lather this morning. Had a nice time face lathering. Soap is gone. Very tiny amount remained and I have smooshed that on top of tomorrow's soap. And so another soap bites the dust. Good soap although I don't think I will be restocking this one. In part because I have too much soap as it is. I like the scent and lather though.

Technique. Plain and simple because it works. The change I noticed this morning that I have been doing for some time now is making funny faces to stretch my skin right before the shave. I bullfrog, I tighten, I grin, I put my chin forward. I don't stretch the skin by hand though (with the exception of the chin), because I want to avoid ingrown hairs which have a higher probability if I skin stretch.

Enjoy your shave!

Date14.05.2024
366 daily shaves
135/366

RazorBladeBrush
Souplex OCGillette Minora (1)Omega 10108
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (1)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9.75/10 (Almost clean)5/10 (Sharp)
8.75/10
(BBS-)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. A fantastic shave with a new to me razor and soap. I had a wonderful shave today!

Razor and blade. Sooo…a fellow brother reaches out and offers to assist in obtaining a shave soap not available to me as such. I agree under the condition we exchange soaps. And so it shall be. I send Dutchi Bergamot. And this being a B&B exchange we never stop at the item requested! So I also send Mühle Aloe Vera and a take most likely a Harnas safety razor. An old Dutch brand from Amsterdam. However this member is in on the B&B Karmic Debt Society! And so he also send more than just the soap. I got two pucks of HWFs and a razor. Not just any razor. He send over a Souplex OC!! Wow!! That is a very fine razor I have only had the pleasure of reading about rather than experiencing it. To me it is in mint condition. Absolutely gorgeous. That begged for a thank you shave. I have replicated as much as I can from his SOTD reports for today’s shave. Dear @Lee Van Cleft - thank you for your generosity, kindness and gentlemanly conduct as well as the handwritten note. This will be enjoyed to the max!!!. In the razor is a vintage Minora blade for a first outing. Double wrapped and I have read good things about this blade. And it lived up to the reviews. Platinum coated it was smooth and comfortable even though the Souplex is an open comb razor like the Old Type is (but unlike the Old Type the Souplex is very smooth.

Brush and lather. The boar is a very fine brush kindly provided by @Balin. I absolutely love the design and it is almost broken in to the point of being gently soft. The soap is gorgeous. This is HWF #1 with cedarwood and patchouli. The scent is wonderful! It’s tallow based natural goodness. My skin felt nourished all day. Very nice!

Technique. Carbon copy of I can help it. I love the simplicity of the pattern. The preshave routine. Face lathering with excellent soap providing protection and glide while the razor is also introduced with caution to the skin. Very close shave. Longevity of shave results is less than I hoped for, but I need to check if that’s on the blade, the razor gave me the impression it is a very close shave.

Enjoy your shave!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

Date14.05.2024
366 daily shaves
135/366

RazorBladeBrush
Souplex OCGillette Minora (1)Omega 10108
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (1)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
8.75/10
(BBS-)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. A fantastic shave with a new to me razor and soap. I had a wonderful shave today!

Razor and blade. Sooo…a fellow brother reaches out and offers to assist in obtaining a shave soap not available to me as such. I agree under the condition we exchange soaps. And so it shall be. I send Dutchi Bergamot. And this being a B&B exchange we never stop at the item requested! So I also send Mühle Aloe Vera and a take most likely a Harnas safety razor. An old Dutch brand from Amsterdam. However this member is in on the B&B Karmic Debt Society! And so he also send more than just the soap. I got two pucks of HWFs and a razor. Not just any razor. He send over a Souplex OC!! Wow!! That is a very fine razor I have only had the pleasure of reading about rather than experiencing it. To me it is in mint condition. Absolutely gorgeous. That begged for a thank you shave. I have replicated as much as I can from his SOTD reports for today’s shave. Dear @Lee Van Cleft - thank you for your generosity, kindness and gentlemanly conduct as well as the handwritten note. This will be enjoyed to the max!!!. In the razor is a vintage Minora blade for a first outing. Double wrapped and I have read good things about this blade. And it lived up to the reviews. Platinum coated it was smooth and comfortable even though the Souplex is an open comb razor like the Old Type is (but unlike the Old Type the Souplex is very smooth.

Brush and lather. The boar is a very fine brush kindly provided by @Balin. I absolutely love the design and it is almost broken in to the point of being gently soft. The soap is gorgeous. This is HWF #1 with cedarwood and patchouli. The scent is wonderful! It’s tallow based natural goodness. My skin felt nourished all day. Very nice!

Technique. Carbon copy of I can help it. I love the simplicity of the pattern. The preshave routine. Face lathering with excellent soap providing protection and glide while the razor is also introduced with caution to the skin. Very close shave. Longevity of shave results is less than I hoped for, but I need to check if that’s on the blade, the razor gave me the impression it is a very close shave.

Enjoy your shave!
Because I added a few Vintage razors this past month or so, I've only used the Souplex one time but what a glorious shave it was. Like you, I had read how special they are but I was still surprised when I used it... What a wonderful little razor. I enjoy the handle design a lot as well.... Thin razor head... an open comb that feels wonderful on the face... Very nice.

Date15.05.2024
366 daily shaves
136/366

RazorBladeBrush
Blackland Blackbird SSGillette Minora (2)Razorock Big Bruce
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (2)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9/10
(BBS)
7.5/10 (Comfortable)

Notes:

Summary. Another effective and wonderful shave. All players working in unison with each other.

Razor and blade. Second run with the Minora. Good blade although I had the impression that the pairing with the Blackbird made it feel a little harsher. Still comfortable but not smooth. The Blackbird is the Blackbird so after two passes I would have been perfectly ready for the office. Third pass was a charm. I have been debating whether or not it is a keeper because the shaves of other razors are in the same ballpark - however there is something in the shaves that other razors have less of. I cannot describe it in words. Not yet anyway. But there is something there (and not rationalising its purchase or being fanboy). My statistics seem to confirm this something at least for now.

Brush and lather. Post shave feel is HWF is great and the scent is reminiscent of Arko? It’s nice and fresh to my nose at least. LOTH is not as sold yet. Big Bruce is just wonderful. Amazing brush that ticks all the boxes for me.

Technique. Simple strokes, but I am wondering if shave effectiveness is better served with strokes according to beard map (SABs). Today’s shave was close, but I have had closer shaves with the Blackbird. Obviously teaming of razor and blade is a factor, but I am wondering if simple strokes aren’t as well.

Enjoy your shave!

Date16.05.2024
366 daily shaves
137/366

RazorBladeBrush
Karve CB OC-CGillette Minora (3)Abe’s Brush Works Blutt STF
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (3)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9/10
(BBS)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Almost a copy of yesterday’s shave. Only this time with the Karve Christopher Bradley.

Razor and blade. Good pairings today between the Minora and the Karve. Blade had a good performance and feels like it can take another round so it’s loaded up for tomorrow. The Karve is one of my high performance razors. Great shave. Smooth and comfortable (well mostly anyway). There’s only one thin I like less and that’s the blade overhang. I’m ok with that in vintage razors, but modern ones less so and in the Karve it’s huge - so I might get the extended cap one day to resolve that issue.

Brush and lather. Fabulous lather today with the STF knot. Wonderfully soft and full of creamy goodness.

Technique. Back to the beard map pattern again. Just came naturally and I think it’s a micron meter closer in shave - but I feel it.

Enjoy your shave!

Date17.05.2024
366 daily shaves
138/366

RazorBladeBrush
Fatip Special Edition GentileGillette Minora (4)Razorock Beehive
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (4)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)5/10 (Sharp)
7/10
(DFS)
9/10 (Buttery Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. It's Friday and it is been a long time, so today is a Fatip Friday!! Of course it was a splendid shave. All comfort. All effectiveness. All rolled into one.

Razor and blade. The blade is still cruising along on shave 4 - no signs of fatigue. The Fatip Special Edition is special to me as it was my second razor and my first "real" razor. All brass, looked stunning (out of the box that is. It started deplating rather quickly, but that doesn't affect the shave at all). It was my favourite razor back then and actually still is a favourite. There is just more competition. This is only the first shave this year with my Fatip. The Special Edition is all you need rolled into one. I used the SB baseplate today (Gentile) which is less effective than the OC for me, but still very nice to use. Has a bit of a blade alignment issue (what?! with a Fatip?! No way!), no biggy - adjust and shave away.

Brush and lather. One of my bigger brushes and I like it! Great lather maker, lovely plissoft knot and super ergonomic handle. Soap performance is splendid. Really like this scented wool fat soap.

Technique. Followed yesterday's cue so went with the beard map again. Yes...feels better. A standard pattern going up and down feels easier. I am going for better so I get enough shaves in my muscle memory to make it easy.

Enjoy your shave!

Date18.05.2024
366 daily shaves
139/366

RazorBladeBrush
Razorock Game Changer .84P SBGillette Minora (5)Abe’s Brush Works Smokey Bandit
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (5)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
7/10 (Nicked myself)4/10 (Sharp Edge)
8/10
(DFS+)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Blade on 5 and I have the sense it is losing its sharpness. Comfort is stable or stable enough, but extra effort is necessary to get to where I want to be. The Game Changer is a deceptive razor for me. It is so smooth and comfortable in the safety bar version that I run the risk of carelessness. Case in point: nicked myself on the right jaw by stop moving the razor while apparently choosing to apply pressure. With a positive exposured blade that’s not a wise decision to make. Live and learn.

Brush worked magic today. Also a magical knot: it’s 26mm but also appearing very small compared to other 26mm knots. Nice creamy lather. Really like the scent and post shave feel. I wasn’t as consistent as I wanted to be in my passes, but still a very solid DFS level shave.

Heading out to the parents later today for brunch to celebrate my dad’s birthday from last week. This past week was quite intense work wise so I am looking forward to some relaxing time during the weekend. Longer weekend actually as we celebrate Pentacost on two days in the Netherlands.

Enjoy your shave everyone!

I usually don’t record my head shaves much. Mainly because they basically are (very fortunately) always the same. That and I tend to forget them. But for this evening I wanted to make an exception, because I couldn’t wait to use Boris @blethenstrom stuff!

Awesome shave! My Schick G1 never disappoints. I think the Personna blade is going on 20-30 shaves (don’t track those), but still difficultly sharp. DFS++ with hints of BBS.

Mudder Focker is a fantastic soap. I always thought it would smell earthy or something dark, but in actuality it doesn’t at all. LOTH likes it too! Very rich and thick lather.

The RR400 Butterscotch was superb! What. A. Joy. Rich lather, abundant lather and enough backbone with softness. Very different from my 400 aluminium, but I need more uses to understand those differences if any.

Happy happy joy joy!!🤩

IMG_4928.jpeg

Top Bottom