What's new

2012 London Olympics Thread

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Although it's early (and I'm not gonna break-out my crystal ball
proxy.php
just yet), but here is the current Medal count.
proxy.php

Read More: http://www.london2012.com/medals/medal-count/

proxy.php
"The only thing that matters is Going for the Gold!!!". CBJ

Very nice to see Kim Rhode win the second individual gold medal for the U.S. What event ? Skeet Shooting. She hit 99 out of 100. Pretty awesome. Her heartfelt emotions were evident on the medal platform and after the national anthem was played she invited the other medalists up to the top tier with her. She's a "top tier" representative of our country
IMHO. Well done Kimberly!

Cycling fans...Alexandr Vinokurov of Kazakhstan won the Gold medal in the men's Road Race with Colombia's Rigoberto Uran claiming the Silver and Norway's Alexander Kristoff getting the Bronze.

It was a sad day for Team GB with Bradley Wiggins (2012 Tour de France winner), and the rest of Team GB were unable keep up to help Mark Cavendish (the world champion), into a a position to attack late on in the grueling 155 mile race as Vinokurov won the sprint over Rigoberto Uran (who was caught 'looking the wrong way), to the finish line for the Gold.
proxy.php

Read More: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetorch/2...-vinokourov-wins-gold-medal-in-mens-road-race

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
"The only thing that matters is Going for the Gold!!!". CBJ
Unable or unwilling. They let those 2 guys go and then waited too long to reel them back in. Vino took candy from a baby after that, but he should never have been in a position to do so in the first place. MHO...

Very nice to see Kim Rhode win the second individual gold medal for the U.S. What event ? Skeet Shooting. She hit 99 out of 100. Pretty awesome. Her heartfelt emotions were evident on the medal platform and after the national anthem was played she invited the other medalists up to the top tier with her. She's a "top tier" representative of our country

Awesome, thanks for sharing that!

- Missy Franklin has got a nice personality and smile. Oh she is also from Colorado, close to the town of the shooting. Lastly her parents are from Canada!

- Watched US vs Brazil women's indoor volleyball. Exciting match between the two favorites. US won this preliminary match.

Last edited:
NBC coverage is making me lose the will to live.

What did they do? lol only good thing about NBC is Bob Costas and the theme song. I also don't like CTV's Canada coverage as much as CBC when they used to cover the Olympics in the past.

Last edited:

+1

I will be watching out for her in the next Olympics.

What did they do? lol only good thing about NBC is Bob Costas and the theme song.

For one, they aren't broadcasting the events people would want to watch live. The only way to view them is either online or on your phone/tablet. Every swimming event (prelims and finals), gymnastics (qualifying and finals), and several other "major" events they tape and broadcast in a condensed version in primetime from 6:30 to 11pm cst. I don't get NBC bragging about broadcasting live Olympic coverage on their "entire family of networks" if all they're going to show live is table tennis, badminton, indoor volleyball, and select soccer matches.

Oh, and they have Andrea Kramer on the broadcast. Absolutely terrible. She's the female version of John Madden without the hilariously puzzling quips.

The US coverage only shows things the US is good at, which it has since I have been watching the olympics.
I think the MSNBC covereage is better, I feel that they have more variety. Its not just swimming and volleyball.

I am anxiously awaiting Lolo Jones. :drool:

proxy.php

Info please :blink:

She is an American Hurdler. She won the 60 at the indoor championship in 2010 and 2008.

She was favored to win in Beijing in 2008, but wasn't able to seal the deal. She is not favored to medal this year, but I like to watch her run for, *ahem* other reasons.

She is an American Hurdler. She won the 60 at the indoor championship in 2010 and 2008.

She was favored to win in Beijing in 2008, but wasn't able to seal the deal. She is not favored to medal this year, but I like to watch her run for, *ahem* other reasons.

Oh okay, yep can't wait for the track and field events to begin.

So what does everyone feel about the female Chienese swimmer? She swam faster than Ryan Lochte lol. People are doubting her accomplishments. Fair or not?

Oh okay, yep can't wait for the track and field events to begin.

So what does everyone feel about the female Chienese swimmer? She swam faster than Ryan Lochte lol. People are doubting her accomplishments. Fair or not?

Until proven otherwise it's unfair and sour grapes on the part of the people complaining. I notice no one said a thing when the other women swimmers pulled off big PRs. No one said a thing when Phelps won all those medals the last olympics. If I recall correctly I read olympic officals saying she tested clean.

Until proven otherwise it's unfair and sour grapes on the part of the people complaining. I notice no one said a thing when the other women swimmers pulled off big PRs. No one said a thing when Phelps won all those medals the last olympics. If I recall correctly I read olympic officals saying she tested clean.

I completely agree with you. I think some people are just hating on her because she's from China. Though Marion Jones (the track and field athlete from US) also broke records without ever testing positive. So I can see where some people are coming from but I don't think people would have the same suspicions if the swimmer was from lets say the US.

Last edited:

I'm not trying to justify the attacks on the Chinese swimmer (and don't know anything about it, to tell the truth), but from what I've read, Phelps was questioned about performance enhancing drugs during the 2008 Olympics. He responded by signing up for Project Believe, which performs more testing than is required by the Olympics.

Yes, her pee was clean so to speak. I think the initial issue with her was not that she broke the existing record, but that the record was something like 5 seconds better (which is HUGE) than her previous personal best and that she swam her last 50M. faster than did the top rated male swimmer the night before. Most people are breaking world records and their personal bests by less than 1 sec. But that is the beauty of the Olympics...seeing miracles happen.

There is an excellent article here. Long story short, she could probably have finished two seconds faster still, if she hadn't been holding back earlier in the race.
It would be irrational not to consider the possibility of doping.
Bear in mind that:

• Everyone knew well in advance that all medal winners were going to be drug tested. An athlete would have to be an idiot to take drugs in the lead-up to the games.
  • The IOC freely admits that the drug-testing process is heavily dependant on individual nations doing their own testing.
  • Drug testing science lags several years behind drug development.

I would love to believe that Ye Shiwen's race was a shining example of ability and determination, but TBH I don't. We may know for sure in a few years time when the samples are retested with new improved methods (which is standard practice.)

Top Bottom