What's new

Wet Shave Club first time subscriber, Series of reviews

Glad everything finally arrived. I'm surprised they didn't send the "Endurance" scent from Soap Commander though, as that is SC's owner's favourite. It's their take on the Original Old Spice scent.
Looking forward to reading your review on the razors and soaps!

I will admit that did come to mind cause I have heard of the endurance in a raving rant online. I may just end up buying it if I do enjoy these soaps.

glad to see everything got there! I'll be watching from home awaiting the product reviews!

Thanks for following! and yea I'm finally glad cause I been holding off from shaving this weekend just to have some growth to challenge the razor's! hoping it goes smooth.

Awesome, it has arrived! Shorter handle looks pretty good too. :thumbup1:

I'm actually excited for the shorter handle cause I love my Merkur 34C which has awesome weight and grip. This new one feels heavier with the thicker handle and judging from the look of it with a blade inserted, its definitely seeming to be a more aggressive razor.

I'm actually excited for the shorter handle cause I love my Merkur 34C which has awesome weight and grip. This new one feels heavier with the thicker handle and judging from the look of it with a blade inserted, its definitely seeming to be a more aggressive razor.
hmm i may buy a kit from them if you enjoy yours then and hope they are back ordered on razors :lol: (just kidding)

hmm i may buy a kit from them if you enjoy yours then and hope they are back ordered on razors :lol: (just kidding)

Lol that would be stupendously hilarious if you managed to have the same luck as I did. Though even if i had not gotten the shorter handle razor, the standard razor looks great so far. I cant wait til these next 4-5 days pass so I can use them both. If I don't happen to like one of these, I'll probably PIF one. Also the shorter handle razor, i love the weight, chrome, and knurling on it.. I dare say just aesthetically it rivals my Merkur 34C although it has a thicker handle and it feels a bit heavier. So cant wait to see the performance.

Lol that would be stupendously hilarious if you managed to have the same luck as I did. Though even if i had not gotten the shorter handle razor, the standard razor looks great so far. I cant wait til these next 4-5 days pass so I can use them both. If I don't happen to like one of these, I'll probably PIF one. Also the shorter handle razor, i love the weight, chrome, and knurling on it.. I dare say just aesthetically it rivals my Merkur 34C although it has a thicker handle and it feels a bit heavier. So cant wait to see the performance.
it seems the razor alone is worth the first month

it seems the razor alone is worth the first month

To be perfectly honest, IMO so far.. Wet Shave Club sells their short handle razor, for just $24.99 so anyone looking for a good weighted short handle, this wouldn't be a bad purchase. I won't know until I use it, if its worthy of long term love and devotion but that's not a bad bargain up front if you ask me.

ironically, all weekend I got the tracking updates via texts for my standard shipped package, Its just the 2-day shipping package is not, and has not been updating and I haven't the slightest idea where my package is now, but the standard shipped package is already available for pick up (Just a side note: Now for all I know both my packages have arrived and are available for pick up, but so far I've only been notified of only one). It just blew my mind to see my "snail mail" package which shipped 24 hrs after my express package, updated continuously and seemingly arrived faster. Which begs the question, whats the point of paying extra for faster shipping if the standard shipping can beat the time frame?

Standard shipping will arrive , in most cases, just as fast as priority mail, and is cheaper.

Update #7 Lather review

OK gent's this is the Lather review for the Soap Commander Wisdom soap sample and first test lather on the Wet Shave Club boar brush.

I would first like to start with the brush.. Which I ran into a couple of issues with upfront.

1. Shedding
: This brush was shedding like a dog in spring losing its winter coat. I would say at least 10-14 hairs came out. That was just when I was just to lather up. It lost a couple more upon rinsing which is a concern cause if this brush sheds far to much, it will render itself useless soon enough. So hopefully this is just an initial break in shedding.

2. Dye/Residue
: When I squeezed the brush to get out some of the lather, and upon soaking the brush. a Weird brownish tint of liquid came out. I assume this would be the Dye of the brush or some weird wash off. Definitely wasn't appealing especially when it tints the lather. No one wants to smear brown paste on their face.

Wet Shave Club is a discount club so I honestly has no hope that the brush was going to be fantastic upfront but I was hoping for something a little more sturdy in quality at least to not have issues right in the beginning. As well as the brush seemed to be pre-broken and of a bad quality of boar hair (if there is such a thing).
So the brush does NOT get my seal of approval. Even for newbies, I'd say toss this after a couple weeks and get something better.

Now to the Soap Commander Wisdom soap sample.

As I expected (from previously trying the Courage scent) The soap is a hard soap. So initial trying to lather did not go so smooth. So I soaked it a bit with hot water (just the top layer). After draining off the excess water, it was beautiful. The lather was great and dense and didn't bubble up to much so it was creamy!

The Scent of the soap, was a very mild, kind of subtle, peppermint scent. It didn't have that nose tingling high peppermint effect. It was easy on the nose and It brought to mind those peppermint ball candies you could buy at almost any corner store/deli that's wrapped in that clear
cellophane. I'm not one to want to walk out the door smelling like candy, but it is a great soap to use during the holidays. Its clean and festive and the ladies would think you get fell off a Christmas tree. So the soap does GET my Seal of Approval.
:thumbup:

Stay tuned for the lather reviews of the next 3 Soap Commander soaps and for the Shave reviews of the Wet Shave Club Standard safety razor, and the Wet Shave Club short handle travel razor.

Attachments

• $10863493_959949784034307_1345464490_n.jpg
    $10863493_959949784034307_1345464490_n.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 72
  • $10841485_959949787367640_572387066_n.jpg
    $10841485_959949787367640_572387066_n.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Great review. I was a little disappointed with the brush, too. I'll PIF mine too, eventually.

I've already made up my mind that once I get my semogue 1250 I'm definitely going to PIF this brush.. Its ok for a couple of shaves IMO so far but I can not see myself loving this brush. A newbie will probably give it a better home.

I talked to kevin extensively before wsc was released. I will say the first box at 20 bucks is worth it with the razor but the brush does suck but hey its a 20 dollar box. After a few months i realized the value seemed off so i contacted the company who did the samples and added up the total value. One month came to roughly 11 bucks for me a bulk purchase im sure is cheaper but total 11 for a 25 box seemed off to me. I know that have to make money but that just isnt the value i seek especially since the bespoke barber box gives you a 80 dollar razor in the box for 45 bucks. Wsc was great idea i did reviews and videos but in the end its cheaper to buy samples for yourself. As a new shaver it does expose you to a lot of new products so its good and bad in my view so i guess its whatever floats your boat and paying to not have to find new things.

Last edited:
I talked to kevin extensively before wsc was released. I will say the first box at 20 bucks is worth it with the razor but the brush does suck but hey its a 20 dollar box. After a few months i realized the value seemed off so i contacted the company who did the samples and added up the total value. One month came to roughly 11 bucks for me a bulk purchase im sure is cheaper but total 11 for a 25 box seemed off to me. I know that have to make money but that just isnt the value i seek especially since the bespoke barber box gives you a 80 dollar razor in the box for 45 bucks. Wsc was great idea i did reviews and videos but in the end its cheaper to buy samples for yourself. As a new shaver it does expose you to a lot of new products so its good and bad in my view so i guess its whatever floats your boat and paying to not have to find new things.

+1 for that honesty there. much appreciated. You're right about the Bespoke box.. it seems awesome

Update #8 Wet Shave Club Standard razor shave review

Ok guys sorry for the delay, had yet to have a moment to actually do this review but I finally got around to it. So today I shaved with the Wet Shave Club Standard razor. I didn't know what to expect initially, but I did suspect that judging from the amount of blade exposure that this razor will be a bit aggressive.

1. Weight of the razor: The weight is excellent, I had to use very very little pressure to make this razor cruise through my spiky mixed Asian facial hair.

2. Mild or Aggressive? This is definitely an in-betweener. It wasn't mild enough as to where any newbie can just pik it up n get a bbs shave, but it wasn't so aggressive that one should fear using it with a feather blade like I just did. There is just a slight more exposure with the blade than on my Merkur 34C.

3. Handle: The knurling on the handle is superb. Excellent grip in both of my usual holding techniques, and I switched hands (literally tossed it up) with the razor soaking wet, and caught with no issue.

4. Post shave: OK I did have some nicks, which is mostly my fault! Is my first time using this razor, adapting to its weight, and its a standard handle, where as I'm more accustom to short handle razor's (hey still mastering the craft!) None the less it was comfortable enough against my face as I felt no tugging, have no burning, No irritation, even the nicks didn't come to notice until I was rinsing but my styptic pen took care of that.

I usually use pre-shave oil but as per my brothers on B&B advice, I decided to see what a shave would be like without it, and now I just wonder why the hell have I even been using it before as My face feels just as good post shave as I do when I use the oil so now I don't see the need for it.

For this shave I used the, Soap Commander Wisdom soap which I did a lather review prior (for those who have been following the reviews). Lathered up using the Wet Shave Club boar brush which surprisingly didnt shed today. The soap was great, dense creamy lather, great slickness, and great protection. While I'm not too keen on the scent, the soap is still delightful.

All in all, Wet Shave Club gives you a very good quality razor IMO. Even if some of you guys just do the 1 month subscription, its totally worth it just to get this great razor for dirt cheap. I can actually see myself using this razor when I want to rotate from the 34C or my EJ89 especially for the days when I have more than 2 days of growth just cause of the aggressiveness of this razor.

WET SHAVE CLUB STANDARD RAZOR GETS MY OFFICIAL SEAL OF APPROVAL!!

stay tuned guys for the next review where I'll be reviewing the Wet Shave Club short handle travel razor, And Thank You to everyone who's been following my review of the Wet Shave Club subscription service.

Attachments

• $10735657_961612740534678_1614770043_n.jpg
    $10735657_961612740534678_1614770043_n.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 54
Top Bottom