What's new

Wet Shave Club first time subscriber, Series of reviews

Hey everyone on B&B, I'm Atreyu and I'm an avid student of the traditional shaving culture (I think traditional shaving sounds better than wet shaving, please bare with me). I started my journey a little over 8 months ago after being inspired while watching my grandfather shave for the last time before his passing on April 2nd of this year. He was 89yrs old and before beginning his shave he told me the story of his shaving history beginning when he was just a 12yr old in the Philippines, sprouting his first 4 whiskers.

That was 77 years of shaving history in which over time he mentioned that he never changed his method of shaving, but overtime through his travels around the world (he was a sailor/fisherman/exporter) He found and tried many different products from other countries. He then guided me step by step on the process of traditional shaving and each step of the way I felt like I was hearing a grand tale while watching history unfold before my eyes. The look of pride on him was inspiring, and he was overjoyed with being able to teach his grandson (28yrs old btw) something that he loved. He was a rare sight in my life, as someone who woke up looking forward to that shave.

After his passing, I looked back on that last day I spent with him, and couldn't help but feel like he was passing a torch down to me, and it was my duty to carry that torch on. So I dumped the cartridges and bought myself a Merkur 34c, my first start shaving kit from AOS. One thing that stood out to me was when he said, "Every where I've been, I found and learned things that wouldn't just make shaving feel like an obligation, I found products that opened my eyes to new ideas, and I learned techniques that made shaving more like an honored tradition."

With that statement in mind, I wanted nothing more than to have that same journey in my life where shaving wasn't a chore, it was a relaxing meditative experience. I couldn't do that just going out and buying any old razor and can of goo. I wanted to go search, find, and be amazed by the products I can get and learn more about the techniques and tools I could master. That's led me to subscribe to Wet Shave club, as it seemed like an affordable way of getting to try, test, and find products easier.

Now I officially subscribed to Wet shave club last Thursday Dec. 5th. Now I did research the company and found both people who enjoy it and people who weren't to happy with or impressed by what Wet Shave club had to offer. Even one reviewer I saw on Youtube said it wasn't worth the money. I myself have always been the type of person to seek opinions on products but never one to be swayed to like or hate it until I try it myself so I subscribed and I'm waiting on my first box shipment. One thing I did like about the company was that they offer a complete starting solution for anyone seeking to get into Traditional shaving. The first time members box includes, Safety razor with leather cap, Soap usually from artisan companies, styptic matches, blades, and may or may not include aftershave (some reviewers mentioned getting it and some said they didnt so its a hit or miss). They also never send you the same stuff twice, so each month you get new soaps, blades, post shaves ect.. In my mind, that's a great way to get to try new products for low costs per month.

Now my first review about them I will state is more of a concern, cause I believe first impressions are everything and so far my first impression was that they don't adhere particular to their claims. On their website, they state that first time subscriber orders are processed and shipped same day! This was NOT the situation with me. I got an email next day saying my order was shipped and I was given a tracking number. When I checked the tracking number, It said my shipping label was created, but mentioned nothing of my box being shipped, nor arriving at the post sorting facility, so it was safe to say my box never left their facility at that point. I gave the benefit of the doubt as to maybe the USPS was slow to update their status on my shipment.

I emailed their customer service today to ask why after 4 day's my product status hasn't updated, as I was concerned that my box isnt sent yet their website states same day shipping. I will give credit that their replies to customer concerns was super quick. I got a reply to my email within 3 mins!! So that I found absolutely fantastic. In their reply email, They had mentioned that the reason my box wasn't sent out was, They printed my label before realizing they no longer had any of their Safety razors in stock, and they were waiting for their new shipment of razors to come in before sending my order. That right their definitely concerned me as to why would a company that states, same day shipping would ever dare make that statement if they don't always have sufficient stock. I mean literally they state it as its concrete, no maybes or possibly, its a clear statement that its same day shipping for all first time subscribers.

Now the second issue I had was, If they realized that the moment after printing my label and sending me tracking information that they were out of stock, why not send the customer (ie: myself) an immediate email explaining the situation so as to not leave the customer waiting 4 days wondering what the hell had happened. I understand that sometimes in companies as in life, things happen that can't be avoided, but as a consumer I felt like they could of honored themselves by being quick to notify customers of such issues as to show customers that our satisfaction is of highest concern. That lack of concern for me did not at all leave a great impression as I began to wonder how many, if any times they did this to other customers.

So for my first review of the Wet shave club, I can only point out the one good thing about them so far was they were quick to email back for my concern, which shows good customer service, but they fell short at caring enough to notify me of the issue the moment it happened (at least they admitted to finding the mistake) but did nothing to solve it or even let me know about it until having me wait 4 days and get annoyed enough to email them which is kind of wrong in my book. Many companies could save themselves loads of angry customers if only they were quick to report back end issues.

Once I receive my box, I will do a full review of shipping time, the razor, the products that came, and a full shave/post shave review for everyone.

It seems their customer service is not too bad. I look forward to your full review.

Not bad in the sense of taking forever to reply to customers about issues. They were amazingly quick to reply which I do like from a company. But my first impression of their company is solely customer satisfaction based as they noticed their mistake the same day my order was processed (which they admitted to me in their response email) but did nothing to tell me until I emailed 4 days later. Had they emailed me the moment they noticed the issue, I would of definitely overlooked the issue cause I understand things happen. I would of understood why they didn't keep to their "Same day shipping for all new members" statement and been grateful that they notified me, as it shows they care.

As I want to make this review as honest and hands on as possible, I'm simply not gonna let this issue in any way effect my review of the products and services, as I'm hoping this was a isolated incident what occurred with me. I'm still going to keep my views open and review honestly without bias.

I'm a subscriber to the Wet Shave Club. I'll be getting my third box this month. My review is simply this: They are a good company with great intentions. They have excellent customer service. The first box is definetly worth the money. The subsequent boxes are probably not worth the money. At least to me they aren't. My first box, I got the razor, brush, blades, soaps, and the styptic matches. My second box had two soaps, two after shaves, and a couple of samples (one face bam and one face wash). Waiting to see what my third and final box will be.

I'm a subscriber to the Wet Shave Club. I'll be getting my third box this month. My review is simply this: They are a good company with great intentions. They have excellent customer service. The first box is definetly worth the money. The subsequent boxes are probably not worth the money. At least to me they aren't. My first box, I got the razor, brush, blades, soaps, and the styptic matches. My second box had two soaps, two after shaves, and a couple of samples (one face bam and one face wash). Waiting to see what my third and final box will be.

Thanks for your honesty!

Unless you're the type that has no idea how to make up you're mind, I would reckon going on a store site and picking and choosing samples of things would not only be cheaper, but probably result in a continuing endeavor?

Unless you're the type that has no idea how to make up you're mind, I would reckon going on a store site and picking and choosing samples of things would not only be cheaper, but probably result in a continuing endeavor?

I got a discount at Wet Shave club and only paid $20 for one month.. I'm currently just testing out the service. Will resubscribe later if I like how the first month goes. Just in my opinion as I'm not always able to go out, research, and purchase new products as much as I'd like to, due to my Job (constant air traveling), and family needs. Wet shave club was kind of a way for me to get to try new products monthly without having to do anything but wait for my boxes as they come.

And I thought I was busy! A Sunday morning with a Cigar and a Brandy on the porch should be penciled in soon Sir!

I honestly would love too but as with my job having me travel a lot lately, wife working and getting her masters, and having 4 children, I'm lucky if I can relax and watch a decent game on a Sunday.

I follow the WetShaveClub on Instagram, I have been curious about their service.

Thanks for taking the time to report your initial experience! I look forward to hearing your future impressions.

And great story about your grandfather teaching you his method of shaving and offering his words of advice. That's very cool.

I follow the WetShaveClub on Instagram, I have been curious about their service.

Thanks for taking the time to report your initial experience! I look forward to hearing your future impressions.

And great story about your grandfather teaching you his method of shaving and offering his words of advice. That's very cool.

Thank you! I appreciate the kind words. I'll be posting the review in stages. the first to come will be the unboxing review this weekend.

While I'm not a Wet Shave Club subscriber, I really enjoyed your Grandfather's story, and his quote. I'm glad to see you took it to heart and are carrying on the tradition!

Every where I've been, I found and learned things that wouldn't just make shaving feel like an obligation, I found products that opened my eyes to new ideas, and I learned techniques that made shaving more like an honored tradition.

While I'm not a Wet Shave Club subscriber, I really enjoyed your Grandfather's story, and his quote. I'm glad to see you took it to heart and are carrying on the tradition!

Thank you.. That really means a lot. My grandfather always had a very Bushido/samurai outlook on life. The most inspirational thing he ever said to me, was right after I came home and dropped the bomb that I was going to be a father (at age 13, I was expecting him to be super pissed) but instead he sat me down and said, "Everything has a meaning, a value, and a reason for happening, though nothing is perfect. Never the less one should strive for the only known perfection one can find in life, Pride in everything one does. You can make mistakes, but a mistake can always become a revelation one can use to broaden, educate, utilize or create. Don't be a fool and think you're wise, be wise by knowing you're a fool." then he slapped the back of my head and told me to get to studying. I can honestly say that if it wasn't for his views and ways of always making me feel positive. I wouldn't have come so far. I will carry on his ways and pass them down.

Thanks for sharing your story about your Grandpa. That was great to read.

I'm looking forward to reading your review. I've been tempted to join wet shave club since seeing it on Art of Manliness, but the unknown factor coupled with price (I'm in Canada, so tack on another $5 + exchange rate) has kept me away this far.

UPDATE TO REVIEW #2

Alright gents so here's my 2nd update to my review of Wet Shave Club and I'm sad to say not a good entry to this review. Now for everyone who read the First entry already knows my experience thus far. To reiterate, my first two concerns were as follows..

1. The company did not live up to it's claimed promise that all first time subscriber's get same day shipping as 4 days after my order was processed, My order wasn't shipped! After waiting 4 days and getting annoyed, I emailed them to ask what had occurred with my shipment. I got a quick response back with Julia from Wet Shave Club stating, "Your box will be shipping tomorrow! So sorry about that. We were waiting on a new shipment of razors to come in and didn't realize we were out of stock until after we had already printed your label and sent you the tracking information."

With that said and done, I decided ok, I'll wait 1 one more day for them to see if they are going to be honorable and rectify their mistake.

2. Now it has been a full day as it is now 11:15pm and my package still has not shipped out. So not only did they NOT live up to their claim, They also knew of their mistake and didn't notify me of the issue until I had to email them 4 day's later, I was told my product would be shipped the next day, and it has NOT been shipped. I feel now that I'm being lied to, which I don't need to tell you guys that as a consumer, that's not a great way to make anyone want to do business with a company who they can't trust.

What I'm prepared to do now is wait til the end of the day tomorrow and give this company one last 24 hour period to ship my box. If it is not shipped, I will proceed to email them yet again and list my concerns. As I do believe in the 3 strike rule, if they do nothing to reconcile the issues brought forth, I will proceed to cancel my subscription and order.

My 2nd day review of the Wet Shave Club, I will end with one opinion, and hopefully its helpful for those of you who have been thinking of subscribing. This company hasn't proved that they are customer satisfaction oriented, and as proof of today, they don't live up to their word. That's just my current view of them right now.

Thanks to all who are following my review! see you guys tomorrow!

Will post again tomorrow with update #3

Thanks for sharing your story about your Grandpa. That was great to read.

I'm looking forward to reading your review. I've been tempted to join wet shave club since seeing it on Art of Manliness, but the unknown factor coupled with price (I'm in Canada, so tack on another $5 + exchange rate) has kept me away this far.

Thank you for your Kind words, and I thank you for taking the time to read my review! I just posted my 2nd update!

Top Bottom