What's new

Question about Johnnie Walker

Johnniegold, if you ever make it to London let me know. You have a taste and a great ability to describe whisky! My vices and virtues are definitely cigars and whisky.

As a bit of an aside, I'm going to Islay next week for the whisky festival and if anyone has ever been, I'd love to hear about it.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Johnniegold, if you ever make it to London let me know. You have a taste and a great ability to describe whisky! My vices and virtues are definitely cigars and whisky.

I have relatives in Evesham so I may just do that. As for any "great ability" to describe whiskey, it was a cut and paste job. :biggrin:

Now as far as great ability in drinking scotch.... :001_rolle

Bob, you're knowledge of the brand is very impressive. I'm really enjoying this thread, because on the whole, I'm not very knowledgeable on blends. This is a learning experience.

V

VR6ofpain

I have bought bottles of all the JW "standard" products.

Red Label = cheap, not very good, but makes a decent scotch and soda

Black Label = better than Red Label, decently smooth, reliable

Green Label
= a pretty lackluster single malt, not worth the money

Gold Label = much better than black label, a bit more costly

Blue Label = minimally better than Gold Label, at a HUGE cost increase (not worth it in my book, but I still have about half a bottle left)

I'd buy him either Black or Gold. The rest aren't worth bothering with.

I love the Gold Label. Black label is more my budget scotch along with Dimple Pinch. The Blue Label is not worth the money where as Gold Label is.

I recently attended a JW tasting and agree completely with the descriptions above.

A key fact you omitted was how your uncle takes his scotch.

If he drinks it neat, with a little water or a little ice, the upgrade will likely be appreciated.

If he's a scotch and soda guy, anything above the black is a waste of money.

The gold is better than the green and the blue just isn't worth the $ - when you're into that price point there are WAY better scotches for less money.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
One from the freezer.

One going into the freezer.

full

Fellas, I would not steer you wrong. Put a bottle in the freezer and then pour yourself two fingers neat. Syrupy goodness. I'm tellin' ya. :thumbup1:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan of the Scotch. I prefer the Islays, but good scotches come from all over. If I have my homeboys over for cards, I drop a bottle of Laphroaig into a small bucket of water and freeze it. Then it can sit at the table and stay ice cold.

Personally, unless you know he wants to try something new (and special), I wouldn't mess with a mans preferred drink. You can get JW Black at Costco (in Costco sized containers) cheaply. Do that and have youself a party :)

That being said, the others are definitely different. I happen to like Black as it is so it's hard to say if it's "worth" it or not. They're all _definitely_ worth experiencing. Maybe a small bottle of each?

I agree with Bob.

BUT: If your uncle is of the age I assume he is, and the disposition to task you with procuring his "preferred drink," be certain he's not particular to the Black Label. I actually know a couple guys who choose the Black over the Green over the Gold, price and supposed quality notwithstanding. There is a difference in taste, and it's not unheard of that certain gents might actually prefer the "lower end."

+1 to the gents above

he requested it, so don't surprise him. Many gents have a drink they like, and don't like to fuss about with it. OTOH, nothing wrong with having another bottle of gold to go along with it, just for "experimentation"... I see nothing wrong with any of the JW offerings, including red. People give blended a bad name, but I still like it. I prefer Chivas 12 year to black and especially Chivas 18 year to gold, but to each his own. Nice stuff, and easy to find.

+1 to the gents above

he requested it, so don't surprise him. Many gents have a drink they like, and don't like to fuss about with it. OTOH, nothing wrong with having another bottle of gold to go along with it, just for "experimentation"... I see nothing wrong with any of the JW offerings, including red. People give blended a bad name, but I still like it. I prefer Chivas 12 year to black and especially Chivas 18 year to gold, but to each his own. Nice stuff, and easy to find.

Glad some one brought up Chivas because that is one highly drinkable substance.

I play golf with a couple of geezers that will only drink Johnny red. Evan if your uncle is as crusty as this pair, though, he will most likely thank you for buying him the black.

One from the freezer.

One going into the freezer.

(pic)

Fellas, I would not steer you wrong. Put a bottle in the freezer and then pour yourself two fingers neat. Syrupy goodness. I'm tellin' ya. :thumbup1:

I love the way liquor bottles look coming out of the freezer. I normally do it only for Tequila and Jagermeister though.

The Gold is a little rich for my blood unfortunately so I'll have to take your word for it. Flavor-wise though, I am interested if you can describe perhaps how it compares with neat, or chilled, or over rocks. Coming in with some experience in Sake, I've read a lot on how (even fairly small) variations in serving temperature can effect the flavor profile, but have yet to think about how sub-zero temps would effect it. Do you do this to improve a particular quality of the flavor that you like, or perhaps just to tone down the taste of the alcohol?

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Such a great and knowledgeable question Pat.

The freezing certainly tones down the alcohol. Because of that, the vanilla, honey and caramel flavors really come to the front of the this scotch. The syrupy texture along with the mellow flavors makes this scotch one to savor neat.

On the rocks? Very good as well, but like any scotch mixed with ice, it changes minute by minute as the ice dissipates.

This scotch frozen, can be served as an after-dinner drink with some chocolates. Luscious, silky and smooth.

Johnnie really got the Centenary Blend right. :thumbsup:

Thanks Bob... the vastness of your knowledge on the Johnnie line is downright scary!

I guess one-a these days I'm just going to have to sell an extra pint of blood and splurge on a bottle of the Gold Label. I actually can't recall if I've ever tried it, but I have had the Green and the Blue and I agree 100% with your assessments of those.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
BTW, can we get a consensus on the cost of Johnnie Gold around different parts of the world? I get a 750ml for $61.00 at a particular liquor store. The store owner boasts that it is the lowest price in NJ.

To date, I have been unable to prove him wrong. I have seen JG range in other stores from $78 to $92.

I make it a point to take the long way home (Supertramp :wink:) every other Friday to save myself at least $25 to $30.

With the price of gas going the way it is, it may soon be a break even kind of thing.

Top Bottom