What's new

A journal of a Cajun's life wet shaving

300+ Shaves in 2024 180 of 300+
July 2024 GRUME 11/31
Shave Date 7/13/2024
Razor:
Military Issue British-made Ball End Tech
Blade: Tiger Platinum (1)
Pre-Shave: Leaf Pre-Shave Oil, Neutragena facial cleansing bar.
Soap Razor Rock The Dead Sea
Brush: Ds Cosmetic 24mm Mardi Gras two band Badger.
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Nivea Cooling Balm, RR The Dead Sea.
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(1), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

I figured out why yesterday's shave was a rougher one, the Tiger was on its third shave, not its second one, armed with this knowledge all the rest of my Tigers will be two and done. The Dead Sea scent is a welcomed change from the over two months of mostly using the Heritage soap. I started on May 13th using the soap exclusively save for the weekends when I served at mass. Just about 2 months of use. I thought this soap was tallow-based as the Rex soaps that RE makes are tallow-based, but looking at the ingredients there's no tallow in it, a pic of the ingredients is below:

View attachment 1878898

The ingredients seem to be minimal, maybe our resident Soap Doctor can chime in(@blethenstrom), calling Boris...... This soap seemed very soft, along the lines of the vegan croaps out there like PAA and Southern Witchcraft, either of which I feel like I could go through rather quickly if I so desired.

For the remainder of the month, I'll use a variety of soaps then when August comes I'll join the ARKO!! August alliance and see how much of it I can get through. September will be one of the fall scents, October will be B&M The Hallows, and we shall see with the remainder of the months, I'm leaning towards using one soap for a month at a time, changing up the soaps each month. I need to knock out a few more tubs before I even think about additions to the stash. A little milestone was passed by finishing a soap off.

It seems like storms are all about us, life is in flux. The economy is shaky, the housing market is way overvalued and in need of a correction, political turmoil, bickering, and general bs are going on all the time, consumer debt is a large lingering problem, and many others. Reports of mental issues are on the rise, and no wonder with everything that is going on to worry about. For me, it is these storms that test our metal, how we react to them, do we crumble, throw in the towel, fight against it all, or perhaps, work our way through the storms, knowing we can't change the problem, all we can truly change is ourselves, how we react to the problem. It is sorta like trying to fight a current in a river or at the beach, you can't resist it for too long, and you have to work your way to a point where you either work with the current and it carries you to a better place, or its negative effects are minimized and you get to a better place. It comes down to controlling your emotions and remaining calm during the storm. I am sure most know how I deal with it, my faith has brought me through many storms, and it is guiding me now and in the future. I know faith is a touchy subject and many shy away from it, but we all have some faith to a certain extent, either in self or in God. In the end, for myself I have found remaining calm in the face of storms allowed me to see more clearly the paths I needed to take. Life isn't easy, it is filled with ups and downs, storms abound as do sunny days. I enjoy the sunny days while keeping an eye out for storm clouds. Being comfortable while being uncomfortable goes a long way in our ability to weather the storms.

'Tis all for today, I wish all a blessed Tuesday, and may all your shaves be the best.

View attachment 1878899
Lieutenant Dan
Couldn’t get enough storm ⛈️

Thunderstorm and rain as I post this. ⛈️

300+ Shaves in 2024 180 of 300+
July 2024 GRUME 11/31
Shave Date 7/13/2024
Razor:
Military Issue British-made Ball End Tech
Blade: Tiger Platinum (1)
Soap Razor Rock The Dead Sea
Brush: Ds Cosmetic 24mm Mardi Gras two band Badger.
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Nivea Cooling Balm, RR The Dead Sea.
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(1), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

I figured out why yesterday's shave was a rougher one, the Tiger was on its third shave, not its second one, armed with this knowledge all the rest of my Tigers will be two and done. The Dead Sea scent is a welcomed change from the over two months of mostly using the Heritage soap. I started on May 13th using the soap exclusively save for the weekends when I served at mass. Just about 2 months of use. I thought this soap was tallow-based as the Rex soaps that RE makes are tallow-based, but looking at the ingredients there's no tallow in it, a pic of the ingredients is below:

View attachment 1878898

The ingredients seem to be minimal, maybe our resident Soap Doctor can chime in(@blethenstrom), calling Boris...... This soap seemed very soft, along the lines of the vegan croaps out there like PAA and Southern Witchcraft, either of which I feel like I could go through rather quickly if I so desired.

It seems like storms are all about us, life is in flux. The economy is shaky, the housing market is way overvalued and in need of a correction, political turmoil, bickering, and general bs are going on all the time, consumer debt is a large lingering problem, and many others. Reports of mental issues are on the rise, and no wonder with everything that is going on to worry about. For me, it is these storms that test our metal, how we react to them, do we crumble, throw in the towel, fight against it all, or perhaps, work our way through the storms, knowing we can't change the problem, all we can truly change is ourselves, how we react to the problem. It is sorta like trying to fight a current in a river or at the beach, you can't resist it for too long, and you have to work your way to a point where you either work with the current and it carries you to a better place, or its negative effects are minimized and you get to a better place. It comes down to controlling your emotions and remaining calm during the storm. I am sure most know how I deal with it, my faith has brought me through many storms, and it is guiding me now and in the future. I know faith is a touchy subject and many shy away from it, but we all have some faith to a certain extent, either in self or in God. In the end, for myself I have found remaining calm in the face of storms allowed me to see more clearly the paths I needed to take. Life isn't easy, it is filled with ups and downs, storms abound as do sunny days. I enjoy the sunny days while keeping an eye out for storm clouds. Being comfortable while being uncomfortable goes a long way in our ability to weather the storms.
Dave Grohl Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Stay calm! I am not a real doctor, but I did stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night......

The ingredient list for the Razor Emporium Heritage Shave Soap looks very common for non-tallow based shave soap. Except for a few additional ingredients that I have in my BSS #1 it is very much the same. The key to a good shave soap is to have high amounts of stearic acid and/or palmitic acid and this one of course have stearic acid as it's first ingredient. The coconut oil helps to get the lather "started" so you want some of that in there. All good so far. Shea Butter is further down on the list and a bit more expensive ingredient so I suspect quite a small amount like 5-10% of total oil/fat content. It is a pretty solid ingredient list and it probably lathers quite easily and you most likely get a good lather from this soap.

So to your main question regarding the softness. None of the oil/fat ingredients determines if this will be a hard or a soft soap. What determines the hardness of the soap is mostly due to the ratio of Potassium Hydroxide(KOH) <-> Sodium Hydroxide(NaOH) that is used to saponify the oils/fats. The higher the percentage KOH used the softer it will be and likewise the more NaOH you use the harder it will be.

Croaps as we refer to it here on B&B are nothing more than a soap that has a high percentage of KOH and lower NaOH. Of course the softer you make it the faster it gets used up, but it is also easier to lather. The reverse is true as well. For example, I made a NaOH only shave soap with the same ingredients as my BSS #1 and you would think I made a hockey puck. It is rock hard and it is hard to load a brush from it, but once you do it is just like my normal BSS #1. A soap made from only KOH would be like a soft cream. Now the oils/fats used does have an impact on the hardness as well, but if there is a lot of stearic/palmitic acid it will be a very hard soap if NaOH only is used. This is why most shave soaps are dual lye to help with lather ability.

The Razor Emporium Heritage probably has a good amount of KOH vs NaOH. My guess would be 80% KOH - 20% NaOH or more. My personal BSS #1 is 60% KOH - 40% NaOH and it does have a bit of malleability. Hope that answered your question.

Very well written my friend. If we look around us we can see that we are living in a world that is broken. A broken world filled with broken people. As we know broken things cannot fix broken things.

Dave Grohl Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Stay calm! I am not a real doctor, but I did stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night......

The ingredient list for the Razor Emporium Heritage Shave Soap looks very common for non-tallow based shave soap. Except for a few additional ingredients that I have in my BSS #1 it is very much the same. The key to a good shave soap is to have high amounts of stearic acid and/or palmitic acid and this one of course have stearic acid as it's first ingredient. The coconut oil helps to get the lather "started" so you want some of that in there. All good so far. Shea Butter is further down on the list and a bit more expensive ingredient so I suspect quite a small amount like 5-10% of total oil/fat content. It is a pretty solid ingredient list and it probably lathers quite easily and you most likely get a good lather from this soap.

So to your main question regarding the softness. None of the oil/fat ingredients determines if this will be a hard or a soft soap. What determines the hardness of the soap is mostly due to the ratio of Potassium Hydroxide(KOH) <-> Sodium Hydroxide(NaOH) that is used to saponify the oils/fats. The higher the percentage KOH used the softer it will be and likewise the more NaOH you use the harder it will be.

Croaps as we refer to it here on B&B are nothing more than a soap that has a high percentage of KOH and lower NaOH. Of course the softer you make it the faster it gets used up, but it is also easier to lather. The reverse is true as well. For example, I made a NaOH only shave soap with the same ingredients as my BSS #1 and you would think I made a hockey puck. It is rock hard and it is hard to load a brush from it, but once you do it is just like my normal BSS #1. A soap made from only KOH would be like a soft cream. Now the oils/fats used does have an impact on the hardness as well, but if there is a lot of stearic/palmitic acid it will be a very hard soap if NaOH only is used. This is why most shave soaps are dual lye to help with lather ability.

The Razor Emporium Heritage probably has a good amount of KOH vs NaOH. My guess would be 80% KOH - 20% NaOH or more. My personal BSS #1 is 60% KOH - 40% NaOH and it does have a bit of malleability. Hope that answered your question.
It was very soft and left a nice slickness on the face after the shave. And my boars ate through it like a box of Little Debbie Swiss Roll cakes at a Jenny Craig convention. Thanks for the clarification on the softness. Today's soap ingredients are listed below:

Aqua(Water/Eau), Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera(Coconut) Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Myristic Acid, Fragrance(Parfum), Lanolin, Maris Sal(Dead Sea Salt), Aloe Barbadensis(Aloe Vera) Extract, Citronellol, Eugenol, Geraniol, Linalool.

This one is much harder than the RE soap and would likely last much longer. No Tallow in this one but it is harder, must be due to the ration of KOH to NAOH, KOH is listed first. Thanks for the lesson.

It was very soft and left a nice slickness on the face after the shave. And my boars ate through it like a box of Little Debbie Swiss Roll cakes at a Jenny Craig convention. Thanks for the clarification on the softness. Today's soap ingredients are listed below:

Aqua(Water/Eau), Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera(Coconut) Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Myristic Acid, Fragrance(Parfum), Lanolin, Maris Sal(Dead Sea Salt), Aloe Barbadensis(Aloe Vera) Extract, Citronellol, Eugenol, Geraniol, Linalool.

This one is much harder than the RE soap and would likely last much longer. No Tallow in this one but it is harder, must be due to the ration of KOH to NAOH, KOH is listed first. Thanks for the lesson.
Yep looks like NaOH is higher up on the ingredient list so just like you said it is a harder soap. Otherwise similar with some trace ingredients being different. 👍

ARKO! has an Amazon Prime deal today. Get some!
I saw that - $1 a stick!

I was really tempted.

Then I did a back of the envelope calculation of how much soap I have, and realized that at about 50 shaves per 4oz jar, I'm good for 14 years, 3 months, 2 days and a bit of extra buffing on that last day (assuming I keep a goatee).

Give or take.

Oh, yeah. And that's excluding the kilo of Cella Red I just picked up a week ago.

300+ Shaves in 2024 181 of 300+
July 2024 GRUME 12/31
Shave Date 7/17/2024
Razor:
1957 Fat Bottomed Tech
Blade: Tiger Platinum (2)
Soap PAA Black Shroud
Brush: Yaqi Caramel two band Badger.
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Nivea Cooling Balm, PAA Black Shroud.

Notes:

I haven't used my PAA soaps in a loooooooooooooooooooonnnnggg time and with the Woodhue inspired Black Shroud being one of my favorite scents, today's shave was long overdue. PAA soaps are on the thirstier end of the soap spectrum, therefore I made sure to incorporate plenty of water into my lather while I was face lathering. This resulted in a very creamy darn near perfect lather today. Too bad ole Doug, or whatever his real name, is an arsehole, his soaps are quality soaps. Three passes without any touch-ups and the results are great, like most of my shaves have been lately. And the scent is a good'un with some stamina and spousal approval. All is well in the land.

One blade left in the Tiger Tuck and I'll move on to a more desirable blade for a tuck or two. I have the Gillette Platinum I shaved with at my Mom's on the magnet and it will get the start after I'm done with the Tiger Tuck, after that we shall see, eventually I want to rid myself of the subpar blades and get on to the better blades. The Tigers work for two shaves for me, so I am not torturing myself by using them up, fortunately, I have not come across a blade that isn't good for at least 2 shaves.

'Tis all, be blessed and have grand shaves.

IMG_3472.jpeg

Top Bottom