What's new

A journal of a Cajun's life wet shaving

I think I said *Chit* the other day. Pretty sure I picked that up from you. 😆
I dealt with a business coach in Auburn California once. I was using the redneck wisdom my brother-in-law bestowed on me, such as being busier than a cat covering up chit on a concrete floor. He told me he was going to publish a book with the sayings, I had more that couldn't be published in a family-friendly book. Haha.

The "salty" words are liberally sprinkled throughout my normal conversation...must be from watching a lot of British humour and dramas. Try watching Wrexham...hilarious and extremely "salty".

giphy-39.gif

300+ Shaves in 2024 179 of 300+
July 2024 GRUME 10/31
Shave Date 7/13/2024
Razor:
1952 US Fat Bottomed Tech
Blade: Tiger Platinum (2)
Pre-Shave: Leaf Pre-Shave Oil, RE Pre-shave soap.
Soap RE Heritage (50)
Brush: Zenith Unbleached Boar.
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Heritage Balm, Brut EDT
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

A broken record shave today. Three passes with no touch-up, durn fine shave. I did do two ATG passes on the right side, as I was distracted by text from work as I was shaving. I feel a slight bit more tightness on the right side but no real difference in closeness, I'll mark off doing that in the future.

The Unbleached boar took a chunk out of the remaining soap, leaving enough for one more shave, I could likely stretch two shaves out of the remaining, but why do that? Tomorrow, or Monday if I skip tomorrow, will be the final shave with the Heritage as I'll scrap out the remaining soap and load it from my bowl. 50ish shaves from a tub of croap, how does that compare with others experiences?

I'm working the other store today, and we are busy, so I'll cut it off now. I wish all a blessed Saturday and weekend, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_3441.jpeg

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
July 2024 GRUME 10/31
Shave Date 7/13/2024
Razor:
1952 US Fat Bottomed Tech
Soap RE Heritage (50)
Brush: Zenith Unbleached Boar.
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Heritage Balm, Brut EDT
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

A broken record shave today. Three passes with no touch-up, durn fine shave. I did do two ATG passes on the right side, as I was distracted by text from work as I was shaving. I feel a slight bit more tightness on the right side but no real difference in closeness, I'll mark off doing that in the future.

The Unbleached boar took a chunk out of the remaining soap, leaving enough for one more shave, I could likely stretch two shaves out of the remaining, but why do that? Tomorrow, or Monday if I skip tomorrow, will be the final shave with the Heritage as I'll scrap out the remaining soap and load it from my bowl. 50ish shaves from a tub of croap, how does that compare with others experiences?

I'm working the other store today, and we are busy, so I'll cut it off now. I wish all a blessed Saturday and weekend, and may all your shaves be the best.

View attachment 1877291

Congratulations, you just earned the broken record trophy, for a broken record shave. You might want to glue the pieces into a picture frame, or you'll likely lose the pieces on the floor, for which will get sucked up into the Hoover later.

proxy.php

Flanders

Stupid sexy Wing Nut
50ish shaves from a tub of croap, how does that compare with others experiences?
I have never seen the bottom of a tub of soap let alone used one up so take my comments as second hand... it's a bit high and you know that you got a bit ambitious once you saw the donut hole. I believe the average is 80 and you are at the bottom of the range, sorry. You probably could have gotten 60 something which isn't too bad. I was following along with the occasional picture of the progress and didn't want to slow you down, but if it was me I would have smooshed that soap out into a even(ish) flat layer several times along the way. B&M doesn't last long and it costs a lot more I am sure so I am just a bit more cautious not to waste it... I do have one or two that are nearing the donut hole phase soon though. I guess I don't have a good idea how soft that soap was, looked similar to B&M, but I bet PAA wouldn't last you 40 shaves!

Hey, John. Just catching up...Glad you fared OK last week.

I'm working on using up some Caties Bubbles soap. The soap itself is good, but it smells like Gerbal litter. I am almost able to see the beginning of a donut hole after about 40 shaves. In all fairness, I'm lathering thick and using 28mm badger knots to help speed things along...

Our old pet Flopsey would be proud.

I have never seen the bottom of a tub of soap let alone used one up so take my comments as second hand... it's a bit high and you know that you got a bit ambitious once you saw the donut hole. I believe the average is 80 and you are at the bottom of the range, sorry. You probably could have gotten 60 something which isn't too bad. I was following along with the occasional picture of the progress and didn't want to slow you down, but if it was me I would have smooshed that soap out into a even(ish) flat layer several times along the way. B&M doesn't last long and it costs a lot more I am sure so I am just a bit more cautious not to waste it... I do have one or two that are nearing the donut hole phase soon though. I guess I don't have a good idea how soft that soap was, looked similar to B&M, but I bet PAA wouldn't last you 40 shaves!
I most definitely wasted soap, as the goal wasn't to see how long it could last, just to 3017 my first soap. And it was an ideal soap to use up quickly, as it is very soft, just about as soft as a PAA or Southern Witchcraft croap, which I feel would follow a similar road. I did 30 swirls with mostly boar brushes per shave. I won't be as aggressive with my B&M soaps as I was trying to get rid of this one as I have too many Barbershop scents. And I wanted to get my 3017 soap badge.

Hey, John. Just catching up...Glad you fared OK last week.

I'm working on using up some Caties Bubbles soap. The soap itself is good, but it smells like Gerbal litter. I am almost able to see the beginning of a donut hole after about 40 shaves. In all fairness, I'm lathering thick and using 28mm badger knots to help speed things along...

Our old pet Flopsey would be proud.
I came through the storm remarkably well, I am blessed. Thanks for asking. I literally laughed out loud at your description of the soap's scent.

So, you've met Uncle Tony, eh? My condolences. 😆
Tony's last name started with an A, and the email assigned to employees of the consultant company was the first name and first initial of the last name, his was TonyA, which looked like tonya when reading the emails address, haha. The irony of it the owner of the company was at odds with Tony and was a little sawed-off fella, and Tony was 6'5", and if there ever was a gentle giant, it was Tony, and Tony laughed about it. We'd often squirreled in our meetings and he'd pull us back by saying, "We digress" haha.

July 2024 GRUME 10/31
Shave Date 7/12/2024
Razor:
1950s British Ball End Tech
Soap RE Heritage (50) 3017'ed today.
Brush: Zenith 502 Blue Wave
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur.
Rating: 27/30 9 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(1), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

The Tiger decided to bite today, a tiny pinhole was noticed after I washed up and used the alum block, the styptic pencil took care of it. I did feel the Tiger more on the ATG pass vs other days. This is the second shave on the Tiger and it seemed to be rougher than the third shave blade I did a few days ago.

A before Pic of the tub:

IMG_3446.jpeg

And a moment of silence......:

IMG_3449.jpeg

The Zenith 502 Blue Wave Boar ate through the remaining soap quite well, and now I have a shiny clean bowl to use for something else. 50 shaves is what it took, I know I could have pushed it longer but I was trying to 3017 this soap, and using it sparingly was not in my game plan. Going forward I'll likely not be as aggressive.

I worked on the trees some yesterday and I am calling it a blessing that I don't do that chit for a living, my back can't take it and I've lost more of my strength and stamina than I care to admit. But 4 hanging limbs were cut and drug to the debris pile in front of the house, all without any cardiac events and not too much blood being shed.

Little Milo is back for a visit and bossing around the other dogs but fearful of thundering and cats. He’s currently hiding in my closet under my clothes. Cats are roaming about.

That is all for today, I wish all a blessed Monday and week ahead, and as always, may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_3447.jpeg

July 2024 GRUME 10/31
Shave Date 7/12/2024
Razor:
1950s British Ball End Tech
Soap RE Heritage (50) 3017'ed today.
Brush: Zenith 502 Blue Wave
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur.
Rating: 27/30 9 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(1), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

The Tiger decided to bite today, a tiny pinhole was noticed after I washed up and used the alum block, the styptic pencil took care of it. I did feel the Tiger more on the ATG pass vs other days. This is the second shave on the Tiger and it seemed to be rougher than the third shave blade I did a few days ago.

A before Pic of the tub:

View attachment 1878391

And a moment of silence......:

View attachment 1878392

The Zenith 502 Blue Wave Boar ate through the remaining soap quite well, and now I have a shiny clean bowl to use for something else. 50 shaves is what it took, I know I could have pushed it longer but I was trying to 3017 this soap, and using it sparingly was not in my game plan. Going forward I'll likely not be as aggressive.

I worked on the trees some yesterday and I am calling it a blessing that I don't do that chit for a living, my back can't take it and I've lost more of my strength and stamina than I care to admit. But 4 hanging limbs were cut and drug to the debris pile in front of the house, all without any cardiac events and not too much blood being shed.

Little Milo is back for a visit and bossing around the other dogs but fearful of thundering and cats. He’s currently hiding in my closet under my clothes. Cats are roaming about.

That is all for today, I wish all a blessed Monday and week ahead, and as always, may all your shaves be the best.

View attachment 1878393
ray donovan death GIF by Showtime

300+ Shaves in 2024 180 of 300+
July 2024 GRUME 11/31
Shave Date 7/13/2024
Razor:
Military Issue British-made Ball End Tech
Blade: Tiger Platinum (1)
Pre-Shave: Leaf Pre-Shave Oil, Neutragena facial cleansing bar.
Soap Razor Rock The Dead Sea
Brush: Ds Cosmetic 24mm Mardi Gras two band Badger.
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Nivea Cooling Balm, RR The Dead Sea.
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(1), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

I figured out why yesterday's shave was a rougher one, the Tiger was on its third shave, not its second one, armed with this knowledge all the rest of my Tigers will be two and done. The Dead Sea scent is a welcomed change from the over two months of mostly using the Heritage soap. I started on May 13th using the soap exclusively save for the weekends when I served at mass. Just about 2 months of use. I thought this soap was tallow-based as the Rex soaps that RE makes are tallow-based, but looking at the ingredients there's no tallow in it, a pic of the ingredients is below:

IMG_3462.jpeg

The ingredients seem to be minimal, maybe our resident Soap Doctor can chime in(@blethenstrom), calling Boris...... This soap seemed very soft, along the lines of the vegan croaps out there like PAA and Southern Witchcraft, either of which I feel like I could go through rather quickly if I so desired.

For the remainder of the month, I'll use a variety of soaps then when August comes I'll join the ARKO!! August alliance and see how much of it I can get through. September will be one of the fall scents, October will be B&M The Hallows, and we shall see with the remainder of the months, I'm leaning towards using one soap for a month at a time, changing up the soaps each month. I need to knock out a few more tubs before I even think about additions to the stash. A little milestone was passed by finishing a soap off.

It seems like storms are all about us, life is in flux. The economy is shaky, the housing market is way overvalued and in need of a correction, political turmoil, bickering, and general bs are going on all the time, consumer debt is a large lingering problem, and many others. Reports of mental issues are on the rise, and no wonder with everything that is going on to worry about. For me, it is these storms that test our metal, how we react to them, do we crumble, throw in the towel, fight against it all, or perhaps, work our way through the storms, knowing we can't change the problem, all we can truly change is ourselves, how we react to the problem. It is sorta like trying to fight a current in a river or at the beach, you can't resist it for too long, and you have to work your way to a point where you either work with the current and it carries you to a better place, or its negative effects are minimized and you get to a better place. It comes down to controlling your emotions and remaining calm during the storm. I am sure most know how I deal with it, my faith has brought me through many storms, and it is guiding me now and in the future. I know faith is a touchy subject and many shy away from it, but we all have some faith to a certain extent, either in self or in God. In the end, for myself I have found remaining calm in the face of storms allowed me to see more clearly the paths I needed to take. Life isn't easy, it is filled with ups and downs, storms abound as do sunny days. I enjoy the sunny days while keeping an eye out for storm clouds. Being comfortable while being uncomfortable goes a long way in our ability to weather the storms.

'Tis all for today, I wish all a blessed Tuesday, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_3456.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 180 of 300+
July 2024 GRUME 11/31
Shave Date 7/13/2024
Razor:
Military Issue British-made Ball End Tech
Blade: Tiger Platinum (1)
Pre-Shave: Leaf Pre-Shave Oil, Neutragena facial cleansing bar.
Soap Razor Rock The Dead Sea
Brush: Ds Cosmetic 24mm Mardi Gras two band Badger.
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Nivea Cooling Balm, RR The Dead Sea.
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(1), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

I figured out why yesterday's shave was a rougher one, the Tiger was on its third shave, not its second one, armed with this knowledge all the rest of my Tigers will be two and done. The Dead Sea scent is a welcomed change from the over two months of mostly using the Heritage soap. I started on May 13th using the soap exclusively save for the weekends when I served at mass. Just about 2 months of use. I thought this soap was tallow-based as the Rex soaps that RE makes are tallow-based, but looking at the ingredients there's no tallow in it, a pic of the ingredients is below:

View attachment 1878898

The ingredients seem to be minimal, maybe our resident Soap Doctor can chime in(@blethenstrom), calling Boris...... This soap seemed very soft, along the lines of the vegan croaps out there like PAA and Southern Witchcraft, either of which I feel like I could go through rather quickly if I so desired.

For the remainder of the month, I'll use a variety of soaps then when August comes I'll join the ARKO!! August alliance and see how much of it I can get through. September will be one of the fall scents, October will be B&M The Hallows, and we shall see with the remainder of the months, I'm leaning towards using one soap for a month at a time, changing up the soaps each month. I need to knock out a few more tubs before I even think about additions to the stash. A little milestone was passed by finishing a soap off.

It seems like storms are all about us, life is in flux. The economy is shaky, the housing market is way overvalued and in need of a correction, political turmoil, bickering, and general bs are going on all the time, consumer debt is a large lingering problem, and many others. Reports of mental issues are on the rise, and no wonder with everything that is going on to worry about. For me, it is these storms that test our metal, how we react to them, do we crumble, throw in the towel, fight against it all, or perhaps, work our way through the storms, knowing we can't change the problem, all we can truly change is ourselves, how we react to the problem. It is sorta like trying to fight a current in a river or at the beach, you can't resist it for too long, and you have to work your way to a point where you either work with the current and it carries you to a better place, or its negative effects are minimized and you get to a better place. It comes down to controlling your emotions and remaining calm during the storm. I am sure most know how I deal with it, my faith has brought me through many storms, and it is guiding me now and in the future. I know faith is a touchy subject and many shy away from it, but we all have some faith to a certain extent, either in self or in God. In the end, for myself I have found remaining calm in the face of storms allowed me to see more clearly the paths I needed to take. Life isn't easy, it is filled with ups and downs, storms abound as do sunny days. I enjoy the sunny days while keeping an eye out for storm clouds. Being comfortable while being uncomfortable goes a long way in our ability to weather the storms.

'Tis all for today, I wish all a blessed Tuesday, and may all your shaves be the best.

View attachment 1878899
Some beautiful sentiments and wise words in there. Thank you.

Top Bottom