What's new

A journal of a Cajun's life wet shaving

300+ Shaves in 2024 183 of 300+
July 2024 GRUME 15/31
Shave Date 7/19/2024
Razor:
1950s US Ball End Tech
Blade: Tiger Platinum (2)
Pre-Shave: Leaf Pre-Shave Oil, RE Heritage Pre-Shave Soap.
Soap PAA Atomic Bay Rum
Brush: Zenith 507-IF Italian Flag Boar.
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Nivea Cooling Balm, Atomic Bay Rum A/S.
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(1), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

The Tiger Tuck is done, in the bin, in the rearview mirror except for the tuck of 4 I found in the bottom of my blade box. I whipped out the Atomic Bay Rum, a scent more in line for winter, but it was unseasonably cool this morning, just 83, on the ride in this morning. That's autumn weather somewhere, maybe in the Amazon Jungle. Anywho, Bay Rum has grown on me over my wet shaving journey. At first, I did not care for it at all, but now I miss it and it brings back fond memories. The 507 Boar whipped up a fine lather today and once again I made sure to use plenty of water for the thirsty PAA soaps, for my efforts I was rewarded with a thick cloudy pillowy lather. Instead of washing all that fine lather down the drain, I've started to squeeze out all the lather from the brush on my final pass and load it on my face resulting in ample protection for my final ATG pass. Next up for the Taat Treatment is the Gillette Platinum, this should be a good run with 5 shaves per blade. I did pull out the other Tiger Tuck, with 4 blades, in addition to the PAA Strangelet tuck, also with 4 blades, to queue them up for TaaT duties, but when they get the TaaT treatment has yet to be determined. I'll finish out the month of July rotating through my soaps and in August I'll join the annual ARKO!!! August consortium. Fall and winter will call for scents that are appropriate for those months, as well as the themed scents for that time of the year, i.e. The Hallows. It will be some months before I try and 3017 another soap.

The weekend is already here, this week has flown by. I wish all a blessed Friday, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_3485.jpeg

July 2024 GRUME 15/31
Shave Date 7/19/2024
Razor:
1950s US Ball End Tech
Soap PAA Atomic Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Nivea Cooling Balm, Atomic Bay Rum A/S.
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(1), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

The Tiger Tuck is done, in the bin, in the rearview mirror except for the tuck of 4 I found in the bottom of my blade box. I whipped out the Atomic Bay Rum, a scent more in line for winter, but it was unseasonably cool this morning, just 83, on the ride in this morning. That's autumn weather somewhere, maybe in the Amazon Jungle. Anywho, Bay Rum has grown on me over my wet shaving journey. At first, I did not care for it at all, but now I miss it and it brings back fond memories. The 507 Boar whipped up a fine lather today and once again I made sure to use plenty of water for the thirsty PAA soaps, for my efforts I was rewarded with a thick cloudy pillowy lather. Instead of washing all that fine lather down the drain, I've started to squeeze out all the lather from the brush on my final pass and load it on my face resulting in ample protection for my final ATG pass. Next up for the Taat Treatment is the Gillette Platinum, this should be a good run with 5 shaves per blade. I did pull out the other Tiger Tuck, with 4 blades, in addition to the PAA Strangelet tuck, also with 4 blades, to queue them up for TaaT duties, but when they get the TaaT treatment has yet to be determined. I'll finish out the month of July rotating through my soaps and in August I'll join the annual ARKO!!! August consortium. Fall and winter will call for scents that are appropriate for those months, as well as the themed scents for that time of the year, i.e. The Hallows. It will be some months before I try and 3017 another soap.

The weekend is already here, this week has flown by. I wish all a blessed Friday, and may all your shaves be the best.

View attachment 1880337
Sometimes you find another tuck that has to be dealt with...... no harm in that.

All of our minds must work alike, not only do I speed read and add content not in the words, I speed hear, finishing the sentence of the talkers in my mind, sometimes it's quite hilarious, but often the prudent thing is to keep it to myself, which I often fail miserably at, Haha.

Thanks, Mark, you as well. How is the back holding up since the surgery? Are you back to 100% or as close as you desire to be?
Hi, John. I'm back to 100% - based on the new normal. Just went to the doc yesterday to look at my knees (which started acting up). His diagnosis? I'm getting old.

July 2024 GRUME 15/31
Shave Date 7/19/2024
Razor:
1950s US Ball End Tech
Soap PAA Atomic Bay Rum

Notes:

View attachment 1880337
I do the same thing now where I squeeze out the remaining soap from my brush and use it on the ATG pass, which is always my last. What I can't figure out is why didn't I think of it earlier? :facep:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I'm hearing confessions from 3:45 pm - 4:15 PM tomorrow, John.

Btw, bring the whiskey. 😆

I Confess Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Sinner
Bless me father for I have sinned. I cheated on my wife!

Father
Well son, the lord forgives those who atone for their sins.

Sinner
Yes well, my wife has me on a super strict diet you see, and well, I hid a triple layer chocolate cake from her, loaded in chocolate icing and oreo's on top. I ate the whole thing, I feel dirty.

Father
Well son, all sins come out in the end, stay near the thunderbox, you'll thank me later.

Flanders

Stupid sexy Wing Nut
Not really a secret in these parts, the Superior Shave in Florida. Mostly a straight razor storefront but he does sell other stuff too.
That's rather unfortunate, but also completely of his own making. I have bought a lot of stuff from him from day one and figured I would just ignore his eccentricities. Hmm, how to be nice about this... these kind of people make it hard to do anything except take a firm stand on one side or the other! I really don't understand what his story is whereas the other two feel like movie villains to me. 😆

You are a tolerant guy John. I've had blades I didn't care for and basically went with a one and done approach to them. After that it's rare that I would ever load one of them again. Except if there was the possibility of a dud. If so it was to the bin with them.

You are a tolerant guy John. I've had blades I didn't care for and basically went with a one and done approach to them. After that it's rare that I would ever load one of them again. Except if there was the possibility of a dud. If so it was to the bin with them.
I hate to waste stuff, so part of that pushes me to use it up, but after I've used it for good I surely won't revisit it.

300+ Shaves in 2024 185 of 300+
July 2024 GRUME 17/31
Shave Date 7/12/2024
Razor:
1968 Gillette Slim Adj TTO
Blade: Gillette Platinum (3)
Pre-Shave: Leaf Pre-Shave Oil, Neutragena Facal Cleansing Soap
Soap Sterling Executive Man
Brush: Yaqi Cavern Lake 24mm Two Band Badger.
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Nivea Cooling Balm, Executive Man A/S.
Rating: 27/30 9 for Comfort, 9 for cuts and weepers(1), 9 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, hole-up, I can splaine. An elusive 9 rating on the smoothness was all for naught, as I got carried away chasing BBS on the neck and did a true ATG pass on the neck, this resulted in quite a bit of alum block, and aftershave feedback, along with an irritated neck on the left side where I chased BBS. My normal diagonal neck pass morphed into a true ATG and I have the irritation to prove it. The same weeper that opened up yesterday, was there again today. After using an abundance of caution with the Tigers, all hell broke loose with the Gillette Platinum, I was overconfident and all of this was due to user error. I used the adjustable feature of the razor, with the first WTG pass on setting 9, the second on 7, and the last ATG pass on 5. The weeper added salt to the wound to drop the score down to one of my lowest. Ohh well, it was still a very close shave with the sea lion fur patch on the right side ohhhhh'bliterated. Those dastardly Sea Lions were in the dock, this time they were laughing at me from the irritation I caused by chasing them off the dock. Essss'alight, I'll get them more than they get me. The Aventus Creed dup Sterling Executive Man was a welcome change of pace. It is good to get back to a spell of rotating through my soaps. I noticed that the Sterling soap didn't produce the thick fluffy lather that the past two soaps did. I need to experiment with the Sterling Soap to get the same performance as my last few soaps. I'm sure it is fully capable of delivering just as much fluffy lather, I just need to have some more time with it.

That's all for a Monday, I wish all a blessed Monday and workweek, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_3513.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 185 of 300+
July 2024 GRUME 17/31
Shave Date 7/12/2024
Razor:
1968 Gillette Slim Adj TTO
Blade: Gillette Platinum (3)
Soap Sterling Executive Man
Brush: Yaqi Cavern Lake 24mm Two Band Badger.
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Nivea Cooling Balm, Executive Man A/S.
Rating: 27/30 9 for Comfort, 9 for cuts and weepers(1), 9 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, hole-up, I can splaine. An elusive 9 rating on the smoothness was all for naught, as I got carried away chasing BBS on the neck and did a true ATG pass on the neck, this resulted in quite a bit of alum block, and aftershave feedback, along with an irritated neck on the left side where I chased BBS. My normal diagonal neck pass morphed into a true ATG and I have the irritation to prove it. The same weeper that opened up yesterday, was there again today. After using an abundance of caution with the Tigers, all hell broke loose with the Gillette Platinum, I was overconfident and all of this was due to user error. I used the adjustable feature of the razor, with the first WTG pass on setting 9, the second on 7, and the last ATG pass on 5. The weeper added salt to the wound to drop the score down to one of my lowest. Ohh well, it was still a very close shave with the sea lion fur patch on the right side ohhhhh'bliterated. Those dastardly Sea Lions were in the dock, this time they were laughing at me from the irritation I caused by chasing them off the dock. Essss'alight, I'll get them more than they get me. The Aventus Creed dup Sterling Executive Man was a welcome change of pace. It is good to get back to a spell of rotating through my soaps. I noticed that the Sterling soap didn't produce the thick fluffy lather that the past two soaps did. I need to experiment with the Sterling Soap to get the same performance as my last few soaps. I'm sure it is fully capable of delivering just as much fluffy lather, I just need to have some more time with it.

That's all for a Monday, I wish all a blessed Monday and workweek, and may all your shaves be the best.

View attachment 1881840
Executive Man is my all time top fragrance, even among other Aventus knock-offs. My wife loves it (calls it Sexecutive Man). She jokes that I can only wear it with her and won’t let me wear it for work. I agree on Stirling, they are fickle soaps, although when I get the water right they can often produce a nice lather. Wishing you a fast heal!

300+ Shaves in 2024 186 of 300+
July 2024 GRUME 118/31
Shave Date 7/23/2024
Razor:
1952 Flare Tip Super Speed
Blade: Gillette Platinum (4)
Soap Rex 1966
Brush: Yaqi Caramel 26mm Two Band Badger.
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Rex 1966 A/S.
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+ neck.

Notes:

Back in the saddle again.......Today's shave was the polar opposite of yesterday's shave, none of the ATG neck shaving shenanigans happened today. The result was a great comfortable smooth shave. The Rex soap yielded a plethora of lather, more than enough for my passes. Only three passes again and no touch-up, and this time I made sure to not go ATG on the neck and paid attention to the nick from the day before so I'd not reopen it. All is grand in the land.

Rex 1966 has a citrusy scent, it brings back memories of my Uncle who wore Fedoras back in the day. Not that he smelt like this one but I could see him using this kind of scent. It is a light enough one that I could use on days when I serve at mass. The Super Speed was as smooth as silk today, a welcomed departure from yesterday's somewhat rough shave. The sea lion fur patch is not completely gone, a hint of fur remains, but I'll take that hint of fur over irritation. No one will notice unless they rub my face in just the right way, and the only one getting close enough to do that is my wife, and she loves me with or without fur. So it is Good'nuff.

That is all for a Tuesday. I wish all a blessed day and fantastic shaves.

IMG_3520.jpeg

Really hard to put a threshold sometimes. Enjoying the shave and just because we want to get a little closer shatters that great moment.
What I do now is wash my brush out after applying the lather for the last pass and hang it dry. That way I can’t do a touch up pass. It’s worked out so far.

Executive Man is my all time top fragrance, even among other Aventus knock-offs. My wife loves it (calls it Sexecutive Man). She jokes that I can only wear it with her and won’t let me wear it for work. I agree on Stirling, they are fickle soaps, although when I get the water right they can often produce a nice lather. Wishing you a fast heal!
I’m all healed now. Thanks. My wife likes most of mine scents. Bay Rum is hit or miss and she didn’t care at all for Southern Witchcrafts Autumn Ash, which I liked quite a bit. She may not be happy during the fall when I’ll use those scents more often.

Top Bottom