What's new

Van Der Hagen

Honestly, is it just me, or does anyone else get great results from this soap?
I'll admit, the scent is weak, and sort of gross at best... It doesn't lather that great...etc...

BUT, after I shave with this stuff, my face is SO clean, and irritation free...I don't understand it! It's so cheap!

To quote Bugs Bunny..

Love It!

Love It!

LUUU-UUU-UUU-UUUV IT!!

Haha, very nice. I'm so amazed by this stuff. To be honest, it out performs some my top end english creams. Well, performance wise maybe not, but the results of my skin after I shave with this stuff...I can't stress it enough, lol

I found the VDH Select sold in a barber supply store marked as "Hess" and have been using it. It provides a super shave, very innocuous fragrance, and was about $.50 a puck. While it may not be at the level of one of the top-level soaps, it sure comes close.

I've had great results with mine. As far as scent, after a few uses, I melted mine double-boiler style and added a bit of sandalwood vanilla fragrance oil, it's quite nice.
all I've used has been the deluxe, my local wal mart has only just recently stocked the glycerin, so I haven't had a chance to try it......yet, but am looking forward to it

I found the VDH Select sold in a barber supply store marked as "Hess" and have been using it. It provides a super shave, very innocuous fragrance, and was about $.50 a puck. While it may not be at the level of one of the top-level soaps, it sure comes close.

Care to share the actual "source" of that mythical barber supply place?

I've had great results with mine. As far as scent, after a few uses, I melted mine double-boiler style and added a bit of sandalwood vanilla fragrance oil, it's quite nice.
all I've used has been the deluxe, my local wal mart has only just recently stocked the glycerin, so I haven't had a chance to try it......yet, but am looking forward to it

+1 - I've done the same with several fragrances and they all work pretty well.

I really like the VDH Glycerin shave soap. My local grocery store stocks it for a $1.37 and it lasts me forever. I think it's great stuff. I have yet to try the other two varieties, but I think I'll always have the glycerin on hand.

I am a huge fan of the VDH Glycerin. The lather I get from it isn't the most luxurious (ie, thick and creamy), but it is hands down the slickest.

This thread got me thinking how awesome it would be if VDH started making different "flavors" (scents) of their soap. VDH soap is really great, but the most common complaint I have observed at B&B is the scent.

yeah the smell isn't so great. but it makes a pretty good lather. it didn't dry out my skin at all which was nice. something my col conk tends to do. i actually picked this up as a combo pack it had a bowl and one of the deluxe soaps. it cost me like $4 bucks. you can't be that.

i've seen that some people on here say that the glycerin (amber colored) one is hard to find though.

Mr. Gillette;

The barber supply store is a locally owned store, not a chain. Since it is a standard supply item, I would guess that there would be many stores that carry the soap. They sell it by the puck and in boxes of eight. The box says "Shaving Mug Soap" and a logo that looks like an "S." I didn't find it at Sally Beauty Supply, which is the only other similar store here.

I suppose I could get used to it, but the lather I get from it is pretty thin compared to what I'm used to with Honeybee and Tabac.

As much as I'm surprised to admit it, I think I'm going to be using VDH a LOT! It just freaking works, really really good! I still can't get over the quality of my skin after I shave with it. Although I will admit it's a little hard to get BBS daily out of it.

As much as I'm surprised to admit it, I think I'm going to be using VDH a LOT! It just freaking works, really really good! I still can't get over the quality of my skin after I shave with it. Although I will admit it's a little hard to get BBS daily out of it.

Do you have any Proraso? Try a VDH Pink/Proraso superlather. It rocks.

-Mason

Top Bottom