What's new

Pets are Gross

Some people are not animal lovers, have a friend who showed his dislike to Dog yesterday. Dog is Lab-Poodle Mix, the dog tried to make friend with guy, the gentleman showed he was not dog lover. Gentleman just Beth say go away, I am not interested, you smell, he don't do dogs.

Dogs are not love by everyone, if you a Dog lover, or Pet lover cool. If not just don't abuse animals, to show your in control, if you do you and I have problems..
There's zero issues of abuse of animals in this scenario, and I'm sorry if I made it sound like there was. No, I'm not happy with the way our agreed upon conditions for getting a dog have not been met. That is not the dog's fault, and she does not suffer for it. Nor does anyone else in the house - except, perhaps, for me in being the main care giver. Animals all have their own personality, and like children, sometimes those personalities are not what you were looking for. They're still part of the family, and are loved and cared for as such. Even if sometimes they may really **** you off...

Yes they can be gross, but that doesn't mean that they all have to stink. Our little girl doesn't stink. She recently spent the night and a day at someone else's house who has inside dogs and when we picked her up she definitely had the dog funk on her. After a day or two of airing out she's back to normal. (No, it's not a case of us getting desensitized again.)

We chose the breed because of the non shedding, hypo allogenic, and no stink characteristics. She gets bathed every four weeks and brushed two to three times a week.

As for vacuums I clean ours with OdoBan every time the bag gets changed and clean the filter. It's the same stuff we use to clean the bathroom. You dilute it for use, so a jug will last for years. Are you storing yours in a hot area? Doing so will definitely make odors worse.

We just got back from our morning walk. Not very cold, but very windy.
1704898073130.png

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I will add something that hasn't been mentioned here - food.
For a brief period when she was young, we swapped the Mastiff from Purina Pro Plan to Blue Buffalo.
After about a week, she stunk to high heaven, and at times even gave off a "fishy" smell.
We dropped Blue Buffalo and went back to Purina Pro Plan, and within a couple of days the funk went away.
Some foods for many dogs, or many foods for some dogs may set up a reaction chemically in their system that causes them to smell differently.

went back to Purina Pro Plan
They might be having a problem at the moment. Social media is showing several reports of dogs getting sick and the FDA has not weighted in yet. Of course, it is social media so..... Anyway my wife returned the bag she had just purchased after reading a few reports. A dog groomer is the one who told my wife about the possible issue.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
They might be having a problem at the moment. Social media is showing several reports of dogs getting sick and the FDA has not weighted in yet. Of course, it is social media so..... Anyway my wife returned the bag she had just purchased after reading a few reports. A dog groomer is the one who told my wife about the possible issue.

I had heard that story was circulating on social media, but our Vet is unconcerned.
Purina has been feeding animals for decades, and in the past have been quick to institute product recalls (their last one was in March of 2023 for their Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets EL Elemental prescription dry dog food due to higher than expected Vitamin D levels). They produce food for millions of dogs, cats and farm animals. If there were a general issue with their food, it would be of more note than social media and a few reviews at Chewy.
And, the product in question is the sensitive skin and stomach salmon formula, which we don't use.
I want a company that does recalls, as it means they are willing to take a financial hit to ensure a good product rather than hold off till forced so as not to look bad in the public eye.
Purina addressed the social media rumor mill on their website.

There's zero issues of abuse of animals in this scenario, and I'm sorry if I made it sound like there was. No, I'm not happy with the way our agreed upon conditions for getting a dog have not been met. That is not the dog's fault, and she does not suffer for it. Nor does anyone else in the house - except, perhaps, for me in being the main care giver. Animals all have their own personality, and like children, sometimes those personalities are not what you were looking for. They're still part of the family, and are loved and cared for as such. Even if sometimes they may really **** you off...

I was also making point if you have pet, and it approaches no pet lover.

Don’t try to sell person in being pet lover.

Some people don’t like animals, or kids.

It’s there right.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
When I periodically rinse the filter on my Dyson vacuums, I spritz it with dilute cleaning vinegar before allowing it to dry and it kills most of the smell. They tend to get funky no matter what.

Re dog farts: I bought beef flavoured Dentastix recently by accident, our dog has a sensitivity to beef. Our house has been wretchedly malodorous for a few days, like curl your nose hairs, must make it to clean air NOW type bad. I put the beef sticks in compost today, looking forward to fresher air...

Had a friend of family who was not Pet person he grew up on farm.

Dogs kept live stock safe, most animals on farm were good, or sold to someone else for food.

He did not see use of having pets.

Farmers apparently are not like me.

My long-haired thick-coated cat doesn't smell, he just sheds. A constant rain of cat hair, almost all year round. It gets everywhere.

Doesn't matter how much I brush him. It just keeps on coming.

Love him, but if I ever get another one it will be a short hair.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
$200....Canadian.

And she doubles as a lawn decoration sometimes.

View attachment 1778233
I see your beautiful pup and raise you a Bruce.

A rescue from Northern Saskatchewan; he's a great guy, but a lot of work, thankfully my wife is a dog whisperer.

This is from a couple of years ago at ~8 mos, he's about 100 lbs now, same colouring as yours with that white spot on the chest. Ours seems to be Rott + Shepard, maybe some border collie (?).

1704991485868.png

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
IMG_0204.jpeg
Our rescue setter, Hopps, is nudging twelve. With advancing years he is getting stinkier, but it's manageable. He is a goofball. BTW, where else but Southwest English Setter Rescue can you get a show quality bench English setter for free? He even came from the same breeder to whom we paid real money for his predecessor (My avatar, Opal).

Top Bottom