What's new

Van Der Hagen

Based on suggestions from this thread, I tried the Proraso Green + VDH Deluxe superlather last night. Good stuff and VERY high quality, creamy lather. It was nice to see that the Proraso smell covered up the VDH smell.

I wouldn't mind trying to add some EOs or FOs to the VDH deluxe though, as the scent is among the least favorite of all the soaps and creams I own. Where do y'all find EOs/FOs locally?

usually whole food/natural food/"hippie" places - no offense to hippies, I'm cool with you, just a generic way some folks view these stores - tend to carry quite a few, there's several online places, I got my sandalwood vanilla from Glory Bee, and craft places like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc, would have them, either with the candles or the soap-making supplies

So I was shopping for some stuff at a local Rite-Aid drug store and found the Select Van der Hagen shave soap for $1.99. Picked it up and I will have to give it a spin. I don't expect it to out perform my Tabac or D.R. Harris soaps, but it should out do the Williams I recently bought. :smile:

I've had great results with mine. As far as scent, after a few uses, I melted mine double-boiler style and added a bit of sandalwood vanilla fragrance oil, it's quite nice.

Does the result smell like sandalwood vanilla or a combo of sandalwood vanilla and VDH? I love VDH soaps (including the scent) and would love to use them as a base for brewing my own scented soaps, but don't want to end up with a hybrid scent.

Dave

Kind of a neutral scent but a much better lathering soap than Williams. Not up to the top drawer quality of Tabac or D.R. Harris, but decent. And for the price, excellent. Not a tallow-based soap, though.

I have tried all three versions and like them all, but my go-to is the Deluxe. Great lather! When I tried the Select, I found it was just about as good but dried my skin a little more than the others.

Then I tried the Glycerine. Very slick, but not quite the lather of the Deluxe. So.........I melted the Deluxe and the Glycerine together and WOW! Super slick AND great lather!!!! And all are available locally at Walgreens or Walmart at $1.57 a puck!

Oh yeah, did I mention I love these soaps?:wink:

All this talk about this soap made me have to go out and pick up a puck. The only kind we get up here in Alaska that I have found is the Deluxe. I will give it a try this morning and let you know how it fairs.

Top Bottom