What's new

Rye Whiskey

He's a good hour from the border at least. I live in east Dearborn and work in downtown Detroit, and would consider it a bit of a trip, if only because of the delay in crossing the border. Last time I crossed it took three hours to get across the bridge and through customs. It isn't worth it.

Fortunately, my non-school home is in Downtown Detroit, so I might have to make a quick jaunt over to Windsor (does the duty-free tend to stock rye?) and pick something up...

Everywhere I've seen Saz Jr it's always been $7-10 more than Beam/Overholt and $3-5 more than Wild Turkey.

Sazerac is worthy of drinking neat, where the two Beam products (and I shed a tear that Overholt is a Beam product, post '87) are definitely mixer-bait for me. I don't really think the Turkey mixes well, but that's just me.

And hey, let's not forget the two Heaven Hill products (made for them in Shively), Rittenhouse Rye and Pikesville Rye.

Roger

Did you find something yet?

I'd highly recommend seeking out the Sazerac 6 year old. (Saz Jr.). Binny's in Chicago mail orders them and has them at a decent price. I don't know what the price is, but baby saz at $25 or so is still way worth it.

I'd highly recommend seeking out the Sazerac 6 year old. (Saz Jr.). Binny's in Chicago mail orders them and has them at a decent price. I don't know what the price is, but baby saz at $25 or so is still way worth it.

I was thinking of buying some of that to make Manhattans. That's the one that just says Sazerac on the bottle, right? Isn't the other one 18 years old? (It seems a waste to use an older whisky in a mixed drink.)

I want to drink these on election nigt, so they need to be good! (No, I do not want to start a political discussion. I think the stress is bipartisan. :eek:)

Yeah. The younger 6 year old Saz has no age statement. It is an old fashioned looking bottle, and just says Sazerac on the painted bottle.

Personally, I wouldn't use it in a mixed drink as it's too good. I'm more of neat whiskey drinker (or at most, a little water) anyway. Although I was guilty of throwing Saz jr. into a Manhattan.

Either way, you'll enjoy it. But try it neat too!

Van Winkle is good.

Sazerac 18 is amazing

Old style Michters Rye *green label bottle) that is no longer produced is awesome, if you can find a bottle, and then its around 70 bucks.

Old Portero was ok, not blown away.

Another good cheap option is Rittenhouse, comes in regular and 100 proof. Smooth.

I don't know that it's available at all anywhere in the United States, but one of my favourite whiskys is Alberta Premium. It is one of just a handful left up here which is made from 100% rye grain. It's no more expensive than any other average whisky but is very highly regarded.

proxy.php

I find that it's excellent just as a sipping whisky. It's very smooth and has a great taste which is much different than any of the non-rye whisky's most of us are used to. In Canada "rye" is often just used as a synonym for whisky and lots of whiskys are labeled as rye whisky even though there is no requirement for there to actually be any rye grain used to make it at all.

I didn't realize that Alberta Premium was highly regarded. I always assumed it was the cheap stuff, right alongside Royal Reserve.

They may not be true rye whiskeys, but definitely give Wiser's, and Canadian Club a try, as Canadian whiskeys are typified by rye content.

I didn't realize that Alberta Premium was highly regarded. I always assumed it was the cheap stuff, right alongside Royal Reserve.

They may not be true rye whiskeys, but definitely give Wiser's, and Canadian Club a try, as Canadian whiskeys are typified by rye content.

But if you dig a little, you'll find that Whiskey's like Wiser's, Canadian Club, Crown Royal, etc. etc. contain negligible amounts of rye today. Many Canadian whiskys today contain almost as much corn as barley, and certainly much much more than any rye.

Some guy wrote a whisky guide and gave Alberta Premium very high marks, especially the 25 year aged version you can find some places, and it's not that much more expensive even, like $30.

But you have to be careful because I've done some reading and so many of the Canadian whisky's of today try to trick you into thinking they are good old fashioned rye whisky's when they contain only a couple percent rye.

I unfortunately feel that for the most part, the quality of the popular Canadian whiskys of today is pretty low. They know that 90% of the people who buy it use it just for mixed drinks and so they've been able to switch to cheap ingredients like corn and continue to be popular.

But if you browse around a little bit to some online review sites, you see a lot of people have good things to say about it. I too always assumed it to be just some average cheap whisky, but it stands above all the others in that range.

Top Bottom