What's new

Is doing XTG really necessary?

Is it necessary to do an XTG before an ATG one? Anyone go WTG, ATG, ATG?

I've seen other ppl with light beards just do WTG, and the XTG in opposite directions.
If I'm stuck with a cartridge, then I just do WTG, ATG

I've been finding myself shaving more than ever. Sometimes as soon as just 12 or 16 hours since last shave. In that scenario I'll do a WTG then a south to north pass with maybe some buffing for smoothness.

I don't usually require a full 3 passes unless I've gone at least 2 days without shaving.

I find that xtg doesn't give me any irritation while atg sometimes irritates my throat. My usual shave it wtg xtg, if i do three passes it's wtg, xtg, xtg in the opposite direction.

Is it necessary to do an XTG before an ATG one?
Probably not, if you still end up with an acceptable shave. YMMV.
Try it without and see how it goes.
I mostly do something like WTG, ATG, then do touchups that go any which way, usually multiple ATG passes along my jaw and either side of my windpipe.
I just have to make sure I re-lather in between.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I shave in every direction known to man (and women). Is it necessary? Not absolutely, but I find that I get the smoothest shave doing that. If you get irritation, skip it.

I can eek out a SAS or CCS from a 2 pass WTG ATG shave.
I've never tried WTG ATG ATG.
WTG, XTG, GTX results in a CCS to DFS for me.

WTG, XTG, ATG + touchup = BBS most of the time for me. I also have had a BBS+ from WTG, XTG, GTX, ATG + touchup

When I shave daily I can do WTG/ATG and get BBS. That's accounting for the fact that on most of my neck going west to east is actually ATG.

I can't handle atg on my jawline or cheeks so xtg is necessary for a good shave. On my neck it doesn't matter what direction I'm going, the growth is so random I'll be doing wtg, xtg, & atg at the same time. So, wtg & xtg on cheeks/jawline, 3 or 4 passes in different directions with touchup on the neck.

I do WTG, XTG and then some touch ups XTG in a few spots and XTG other direction in a few other spots. It's all based on what your skin can handle. There is no magic recipe. You do not have to do WTG, XTG, ATG if you don't want or can't. The idea is just to gradually reduce the facial hairs instead of trying to take right down to the wood in one pass.

Warning- heresy ahead: WTG, XTG,ATG & then touch up under the nose & Adams apple w/Schick hydro. (significantly reduces razor burn and blood loss)

Necessary?

That's something only YOU can decide. There are no hard and fast rules about this thing, except:

Try real hard not to cut yourself.

You can pretty much do as you please after that.

Top Bottom