What's new

New SE shaver SOTD using a GEM MMOC and a Chinese copy of a type O.

This morning I shaved the right side of my face using a Chinese(I think) copy of a type O, and the left side of my face using a GEM MICROMATIC open-comb.
I bowl lathered using a Franks Shaving pure badger brush, and TOBS Sandalwood shaving cream.
I used a "Chick" blade in the type O copy(purchased at my local grocery store).
I used a "CVS" branded carbon steel blade(USA made by Personna) purchased locally.
$DSCN2024 - Edited.jpgView attachment 697582The MICROMATIC $DSCN2026 - Edited.jpgView attachment 697583The Chinese type O copy.
Three passes later, and I have a DFS on both sides of my face.
I realize that this is apples to oranges, but I have only shaved twice with each razor, and I am waiting for my blade order of Personna injectors and GEM Stainless steel blades(also made by Personna) to come in from the order that I placed on Amazon.
Using more equivalent blades made by the same company, and made of the same type of steel should give me a better idea of how these razors will perform on a daily basis.
I am still looking for the "perfect" razor:001_rolle to give me the "perfect" shave:001_rolle, and these razors are closer than most of my DE razors.:bored:
A great day begins with a great shave. Have a great day

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of SE shaving. You have two fine razors there, especially if the Type O clone is from eBarbershop. I have a real NOS Type O clone, and the eBarbershop copy is so good that it is doubtful that it is Chinese-made. Just a little advice--if you like the Type O clone, get some of the NOS twin-blades on eBay. You can also fine currently-manufactured Japanese Schick II twin blades on eBay, but they are very expensive. The Type O clone was designed to use them, and will give an astounding shave with them.

Welcome to the world of SE shaving. You have two fine razors there, especially if the Type O clone is from eBarbershop. I have a real NOS Type O clone, and the eBarbershop copy is so good that it is doubtful that it is Chinese-made. Just a little advice--if you like the Type O clone, get some of the NOS twin-blades on eBay. You can also fine currently-manufactured Japanese Schick II twin blades on eBay, but they are very expensive. The Type O clone was designed to use them, and will give an astounding shave with them.
I've always wanted to try the Type O

It was indeed from eBarbershop.
I must admit that I was surprised by the quality of the shave, especially since the first "CHICK" blade was a dud.:thumbdown The razor came loaded with a blank blade so that there was no issue loading a blade from the injector cartridge, the first "CHICK" blade had simply not been sharpened. The second blade was however "razor sharp":lol: and did a good job.

I would like to thank you for your advice. I am however a dedicated single blade shaver(mostly DE, but branching out into SE as well) because my beard is very coarse and clogs all the multi-blade cartridge razors that I have ever tried to shave with.

A great day begins with a great shave. Have a great shave.

Last edited:
Top Bottom