What's new

New insights into shaving that you learned in 2023

I learned to avoid the GRUME threads because all the beautiful pictures contained within only tempted me to purchase more 😜

No offense meant to those that find the GRUME beneficial but, for me, it was like wafting freshly cooked Krispy Kreme donuts in front of someone trying to quit sugar.

Last edited:
We now have a couple of current production razors that utilize the same type of adjustment mechanism used in the Gillette adjustables from the 1960's - 1980's. This includes both a premium option, the Rockwell T2, and a budget option the Razorock Adjust (rebranded Baili also sold by Stirling). Both work well and provide mild to moderate aggressiveness. I've been enjoying my new Razorock Adjust for the past few weeks.

Details on these in the thread linked below:

The main revelation is there is really no need to conserve on shaving supplies. I took an inventory and calculated how many years I have got worth of soaps, etc. I have plenty, really.

For aftershaves, I have over a gallon all together, and I really like the inexpensive barbershop stuff like Stephan and Gabel's. I've got 400ml bottles of Floid Vigorosso, Epsilon Blue and Proraso Green all to myself. Plenty.

I've got over 1200 blades that I actually enjoy using. Over 25 different varieties. Once again, plenty.

Given this abundance, I may as well change blades earlier than I have to. I can use more soap than I really need to enjoy really abundant lathers. I can splash on the aftershave liberally, no problem. I got all this stuff to make shaving more enjoyable, so I might as well enjoy it while I can.

I also don't really need to buy anything unless I need to replenish or replace something that's been used up. Browsing for and accumulating more shaving supplies at this point is unnecessary.

Last edited:
Shaving is an act of personal enjoyment. Your gear, your processes are your own. You can receive tips and ideas from other people, some very practiced and knowledgeable in what works for them, but in the end its really only your own results that matter.

It's like martial arts. There's more than one path up the mountain. Find the one you enjoy. There's no hurry.

In the last month of 2023 I purchased a 1kg block of Vitos Extra Super Red shaving soap. I learned that I load too much soap in my brush when I make the lather so I need to use more water. I made this mistake twice. This soap produces some great lather. I'm convinced this soap will last me maybe 1-3 years if I used it for my every shave.

In the last month of 2023 I purchased a 1kg block of Vitos Extra Super Red shaving soap. I learned that I load too much soap in my brush when I make the lather so I need to use more water. I made this mistake twice. This soap produces some great lather. I'm convinced this soap will last me maybe 1-3 years if I used it for my every shave.

Figure 1g of soap per shave, that gives around 3 years for a daily shaver. 1.5g per shave gives around 2 years. So, your estimate is pretty close, I'd say.

I got the basic emperor for Christmas, and so far, it's almost flawless, except for being lousy at settings 1 and 2 with a Derby Extra.
I'm up to a 5, and moved on from the Derby. Not a good mix. Skin moisturizer had to go on immediately.
I've got a Gillette Platinum in at 5, and I get a nice shave. I can actually use a retinol on my face after shaving (not every day).
When I tighten it, the head stays closed, no slop, no wonky blade adjustment.

Browsing for and accumulating more shaving supplies at this point is unnecessary.
Same here ….. but still fun to acquire a new “gem” or try a new product every now and then. The trick is not to buy a 3xlifetime supply when finding a gem.

And I guess my revelation is similar to one already stated …… I have a multiple lifetimes supply of product, so might as well live it up while I still can.

As others mentioned I have enough shave supplies to last me for a good long time.

I have acquired more shave supplies than I can use for the year and now it’s taking up extra space.

Over this time I now realize what works well enough for me.

Glad I finally figured it out.

Still plan to use everything or possibly trade some of it. But now I know what I will repurchase and what I don’t need to.

Is it because of general sharpness of the blade or the angle against the whiskers.

I'm not sure, which makes it more puzzling.

I've used razors honed by acknowledged "honemeisters", varied my angle, pressure, lather consistency, etc, and still get a MUCH better shave, effortlessly, with a shavette.

Maybe it's just not my thing, or I'm being too impatient, or I'm expecting too much. The best I can get from a SR is a socially acceptable shave.

It is really worth it but you have to stuck with it. My dad taught me at 16 (now 66) and kept with in for a decade. Then be of lack of time, curiosity, I jumped into DEs. Just slants for years, then non slants.
Starting with SRs, really made all other hardware options much easier for me, wet shaving.
I think shavers jumping all-round really tough to master, correct skills, patiences muscle memory, angle, blades, honed, skin, stubble..It is a lot to but together the right plan and process. If it was easy, anyone could do it. Just takes time, planning and smart shaving. The guys we have here can do anything, if you want it...BFX
Step by step and just enjoy it..

It is really worth it but you have to stuck with it. My dad taught me at 16 (now 66) and kept with in for a decade. Then be of lack of time, curiosity, I jumped into DEs. Just slants for years, then non slants.
Starting with SRs, really made all other hardware options much easier for me, wet shaving.
I think shavers jumping all-round really tough to master, correct skills, patiences muscle memory, angle, blades, honed, skin, stubble..It is a lot to but together the right plan and process. If it was easy, anyone could do it. Just takes time, planning and smart shaving. The guys we have here can do anything, if you want it...BFX
Step by step and just enjoy it..
This is good advice. I have several very good razors that could likely become great if I perfected the technique. But I have so many that I jump around a bit. This is easier with pivoting razors or SEs, but you need to master the angle with DEs to make them shine.

One lesson from 2023. Expensive synthetic brushes are a waste of money (unless you're specifically looking to buy an 'old world' brand name brush).

In 2023 I owned and sold synthetic brushes from respectable European brands that were no better than what comes from China these days. Neither the knots nor the handles. In 2024, it's my intention to no longer pay for a brand name only.

Another insight from 2023- the right tool for the right job. Since I have a variety of razors and blade types, I might as well use em. For example, first pass is usually one of my Superclicks heads on a Gillette Flexball/Feather Samrai and second is an AC razor (exploring injectors for this pass as well).

First pass is clear the forest, second is grind the stumps!

Top Bottom