What's new

Smoked Salt

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
We smoke everything, why not salt. I can see it going well with a cocktail or possibly something delicate like eggs. Has anybody tried this?

I've not tried smoking salt...but I have tried smoked salt...it's pretty good. There's a blog out there called "Derrek (sp?) On Cast Iron". He gives details for a smoked seasoning mix as well.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I've not tried smoking salt...but I have tried smoked salt...it's pretty good. There's a blog out there called "Derrek (sp?) On Cast Iron". He gives details for a smoked seasoning mix as well.

I haven't tried either. I've seen the smoked salts in Whole Foods but they seemed too expensive. Next time the smoker comes on I'll try and smoke some kosher.

I have a packet of sea salt with smoked paprika given to me by the vendor i used to buy my olive oil and balsamic vinegar from.

dave

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Many times. Spread it out on a sheet pan in your smoker, or be sure to stir often. The length of time it takes depends on the smoke, the salt, your smoker, and how strong you want it, so check very often on your first try to see how things are going.

I tried it once and it didn't work for me..I did like smoked salt on a lamb and other meats..There's a place called salt works.us and if it's salt they have it..

I like smoking salt. It is fairly easy to do. I used to just take large sea salt crystals or or kosher salt. I'd spread it in a thin layer on a cast iron skillet or disposable pie tin. Mist gently with water. I don't add enough water to make a paste or liquid, it only takes a little water. I the salt on the smoker for half-hour to an hour for a mild to medium flavor.

My method doesn't require stirring. Some salt will stick to the bottom of the skillet / tin, but I still managed a good amount of salt and flavor.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
My method doesn't require stirring. Some salt will stick to the bottom of the skillet / tin, but I still managed a good amount of salt and flavor.

I only worried about stirring when I didn't spread it out thinly. I was trying to make a big ol' bunch of it (about a pound). Really, that wasn't a good idea, as it was a lot of trouble. I'd have done better to go with small batches.

There's a local guy here that sells smoked butter. It's good on corn. He has a way of cooling down the smoke so that it doesn't melt the butter.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
There's a local guy here that sells smoked butter. It's good on corn. He has a way of cooling down the smoke so that it doesn't melt the butter.
It's just a matter of running the smoke through a duct and into a refrigerator. I bet that butter takes smoke pretty easily. Yum!

I have. Nice twist for Margaritas! Tried growing salt crystals on strings to smoke them better, don't think it was worth the effort.

Tom

Top Bottom