What's new

Need a few nice pans

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Scanpans are made in Denmark and are more expensive than the cheap stuff, but we have been using them for a few years and they still look like new. They have a 10 piece set for around $500, but also sell them in smaller sets and individually. I've made tons of eggs (using a spatula) and no problems ever.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
We have several Griswold antique skillets... and they are amazing for many things. Omelets? not so much, at least, ours aren't.

I bought all the sized of these 3 or 4 years ago now. They are still holding up well... and no rivets inside the skillets, so they are very easy to clean.

Of course none of this matters if I can't get everyone on board with cleaning up after themselves!
Agreed. It doesn't matter what type of pan you use if they are not cared for properly. Carbon steel needs similar care to cast iron and both can be amazing, but any pan has its needs and care process. I personally prefer cast iron, vintage when possible. The majority of mine are Wagner Ware Sidney -0- but even current production Lodge are great if cared for properly.

Cast iron would be my suggestion. Honestly, I've not experienced the seasoning degrading simply because food is left in a seasoned pan. I do know that acidic food (tomatoes, etc...)will degrade the seasoning, so maybe that is your issue. Either way, re seasoning a pan is not that difficult IMHO....slap some crisco on it and throw it in a 375 oven for an hour.

If you don't like seasoning, perhaps you could look at enameled Cast iron. Zwilling.com has 10 Inch Staub enameled cast iron fry pans for 100 US right now.

Ditched non-stick years ago, went to cast iron for most cooking, stainless steel for anything acidic, and for slow cooking enameled cast iron Dutch ovens. Been quite happy with them and they will handed down when I’m gone.

Btw stainless can be non stick for eggs if you catch the temp right and oil at the correct time. Too hot or too cold and it’s gonna stick. I have fried eggs and made omelets in stainless and it slides right on out as if it was non stick.

Larry

Pots n Pans use to be made good, today most stuff is made not to last, we live in throw away world.

Even if you buy some Old Name Brand, and look at boxing reads: MADE IN CHINA.🤮

I would say 95% of the time we use plastic or silicone utensils. But I guess 5% of the time SOME JERK WAD in the house is using metal. Once I get the new pans I will identify this jerk wad and evict them.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

View attachment 1778326

The jerk might be the pan or the ustensil themselves, I am the only user of this pan that never saw any metal anything used in it ... yet after not even a year of use you can see that well a jerk has stop by

IMG_1613.jpg

Sick and tired of this crap happening to our pans. So I’m looking for some non-stick pans that won’t fall apart in a years time. I don’t need a whole set of pots and pans. Just a few nice pans.

One small one that can fry an egg
One bigger one that can fry 3 or 4 eggs
One larger one that is a bit deeper than can fry bacon or steaks

IDK what sizes those are. 6” - 10” - 14” maybe?

Willing to spend $0-$100. More so around the $50 mark per pan but if they are SUPER AWESOME AMAZING pans I don’t mind spending more. Just sick of the pans coating chipping off and peeling and looking like crap and not being non-stick anymore.

I would say 95% of the time we use plastic or silicone utensils. But I guess 5% of the time SOME JERK WAD in the house is using metal. Once I get the new pans I will identify this jerk wad and evict them.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

View attachment 1778324View attachment 1778325View attachment 1778326
What type of heat do you use - gas, electric or induction?

Pots n Pans use to be made good, today most stuff is made not to last, we live in throw away world.

None of my pans are made in China.

Lodge is still USA for Cast iron.

Paderno still has many pots/pans made in Canada. They list them on their site. We use Paderno Pots.

DeBuyer is France and a great option for fry pans. As stated above, prices have probably skyrocketted due to popularity. All of mine were purchased 10y when Costco used to offer them online and drop ship direct drom DeBuyer.

Carbon Steel can be purchased even at Ikea. They require seasoning but act like a traditional fry pan. Not the greatest for heat retention of cooking things that take a long time to cook (cast iron) but are much lighter than Cast Iron. And despite what you read online, if you wash a CI or CS pan with soap & water, it doesn't strip all its seasoning.

Last edited:
None of my pans are made in China.

Lodge is still USA for Cast iron.

Paderno still has many pots/pans made in Canada. They list them on their site. We use Paderno Pots.

DeBuyer is France and a great option for fry pans. As stated above, prices have probably skyrocketted due to popularity. All of mine were purchased 10y when Costco used to offer them online and drop ship direct drom DeBuyer.

Carbon Steel can be purchased even at Ikea. They require seasoning but act like a traditional fry pan. Not the greatest for heat retention of cooking things that take a long time to cook (cast iron) but are much lighter than Cast Iron. And despite what you read online, if you wash a CI or CS pan with soap & water, it doesn't strip all its seasoning.

Before Bed & Bath Store closed I use to buy stuff there because of 20%, one day I am look at GERMAN Brand of Knife, checked box, MADE IN CHINA. Most of the inventory in store was MADE IN CHINA. Sort of sad they went under, sort of glade they went under.

Before Bed & Bath Store closed I use to buy stuff there because of 20%, one day I am look at GERMAN Brand of Knife, checked box, MADE IN CHINA. Most of the inventory in store was MADE IN CHINA. Sort of sad they went under, sort of glade they went under.
Yes, many items are marketed or branded to trick people by using terms like "German steel" or "Designed in USA". You have to read the fine print.

Shopping @ Bed Bath & Beyond, won't find you top tier products either.

The only thing we ever used that store for was to buy Fiestaware, which was and still is, Made in USA.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile

All of my pans were made in France and, for the most part, are better than new stuff available today. 3.0 to 3.5 mm copper with tin linings and heavy carbon steel. Etsy and eBay beat the new stuff for quality and price. Tin is highly nonstick. Seriously, study up on old stuff and go to good used sites. Yes, it may cost a bit (not much) more, even though old, than new and more glitzy stuff, but it will perform spectacularly and last FFE. I have tinned copper in regular use since the 1960s that has not needed retinning and carbon steel of the same vintage that is virtually nonstick.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
All of my pans were made in France and, for the most part, are better than new stuff available today. 3.0 to 3.5 mm copper with tin linings and heavy carbon steel. Etsy and eBay beat the new stuff for quality and price. Tin is highly nonstick. Seriously, study up on old stuff and go to good used sites. Yes, it may cost a bit (not much) more, even though old, than new and more glitzy stuff, but it will perform spectacularly and last FFE. I have tinned copper in regular use since the 1960s that has not needed retinning and carbon steel of the same vintage that is virtually nonstick.
And what about those Belgium made Demeyere pans? Someone on here convinced me to try one and I thought it was you. Anyway, about six or seven pans later and I'm still pretty satisfied.

One of the nice things that I like about the Demeyere Atlantis/Proline pans is when the other careless members of the family scorch them, like making eggs with no fat, I just toss them in the dishwasher and they come out fine.

I also have some SolidTeknics pans but DeBuyer and Matfer are on my list. I definitely need a better carbon steel pan for making French omelettes.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
And what about those Belgium made Demeyere pans? Someone on here convinced me to try one and I thought it was you. Anyway, about six or seven pans later and I'm still pretty satisfied.

One of the nice things that I like about the Demeyere Atlantis/Proline pans is when the other careless members of the family scorch them, like making eggs with no fat, I just toss them in the dishwasher and they come out fine.

I also have some SolidTeknics pans but DeBuyer and Matfer are on my list. I definitely need a better carbon steel pan for making French omelettes.
It probably was someone else, but I have heard very good things about Demeyere. If you are looking for an omelette pan, check out the Pot Shop of Boston. Their heavy aluminum pan looks amazing. Aluminum seasons, not quite as fast as carbon steel but still pretty well. Also, you can cruise eBay and Etsy for old Club aluminum or Stannish omelette pans. Of course carbon steel is pretty fine. It is what I have used for omelettes since the early 1970s. I am not familiar with SolidTeknics, but my next Google destination ought to help!

It probably was someone else, but I have heard very good things about Demeyere. If you are looking for an omelette pan, check out the Pot Shop of Boston. Their heavy aluminum pan looks amazing. Aluminum seasons, not quite as fast as carbon steel but still pretty well. Also, you can cruise eBay and Etsy for old Club aluminum or Stannish omelette pans. Of course carbon steel is pretty fine. It is what I have used for omelettes since the early 1970s. I am not familiar with SolidTeknics, but my next Google destination ought to help!

I have some Demeyere pans that I acquired at their outlet during a weird transition period for them. I love them, but have really liked all my stainless, carbon steel, and cast iron.

They're 5-ply which I've gone back and forth about; at first I really liked them, then I really disliked the weight and heft, and now I really appreciate them again. They are kind of in-between cast iron and stainless in their characteristics, but stainless. One thing about them is they have this kind of inner layer of some kind of stainless alloy that makes them semi-nonstick. I wouldn't say it's nonstick, but it's definitely different and more nonstick than other stainless pans I've used, and they clean much more easily.

I have 4 stainless brands now (I guess 5 if you count our water kettle), and have owned another one in the past (I replaced them because of an induction range). They all have had their pros and cons. In general I feel like you can't go wrong with a decent brand of stainless, cast iron, or carbon steel, it's just a matter of preference.

For what it's worth, this is the website of all-clad's outlet seller, if you're interested in seconds or damaged-package goods: Home - homeandcooksales.com - https://homeandcooksales.com/

I've bought from them. I'd say once a month or two they have a sale. To be honest, I haven't been able to figure out why my all-clad pan from them was a second, although if you look really hard there's a slight teeny tiny mark on the outside of it, like a microeraser rubbed against it so that's probably it?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have some Demeyere pans that I acquired at their outlet during a weird transition period for them. I love them, but have really liked all my stainless, carbon steel, and cast iron.

They're 5-ply which I've gone back and forth about; at first I really liked them, then I really disliked the weight and heft, and now I really appreciate them again. They are kind of in-between cast iron and stainless in their characteristics, but stainless. One thing about them is they have this kind of inner layer of some kind of stainless alloy that makes them semi-nonstick. I wouldn't say it's nonstick, but it's definitely different and more nonstick than other stainless pans I've used, and they clean much more easily.

I have 4 stainless brands now (I guess 5 if you count our water kettle), and have owned another one in the past (I replaced them because of an induction range). They all have had their pros and cons. In general I feel like you can't go wrong with a decent brand of stainless, cast iron, or carbon steel, it's just a matter of preference.

For what it's worth, this is the website of all-clad's outlet seller, if you're interested in seconds or damaged-package goods: Home - homeandcooksales.com - https://homeandcooksales.com/

I've bought from them. I'd say once a month or two they have a sale. To be honest, I haven't been able to figure out why my all-clad pan from them was a second, although if you look really hard there's a slight teeny tiny mark on the outside of it, like a microeraser rubbed against it so that's probably it?
Seconds are usually very nice. Many of my pans were bought used, but over heavy century of heavy use, I have added my own scrapes, dents, and other imperfections. They are still a joy to use. My pans are also quite hefty. I view that a positive, just as I prize lightness and nimbleness in knives.

Great thread that spurs a question. How does one easily fry an egg on a non nonstick pan? We have cast iron, enameled Dutch ovens, copper clad/ stainless etc and I haven’t been successful frying an egg on much other than our nonsticks.

Easy hacks desired please🥰.

Top Bottom