What's new

An attempt to simplify and save a few bucks

Welcome to the journal section!! I am new to this area of the forum too!

I have not tried the Blackbird myself but a lot of folks here love it. I would stick with it for a while longer. You figured out the Rockwell. I have been at this for about 2.5 years now and I think in my first 6 months, I must have tried 30 different razors.

My shaves didn't start to improve until I decided to stick with a razor for a week at time, and when I got a new razor I shaved with it exclusively for a month. I did have some uncomfortable shaves with lots of stubble patches at first but by the end of the month there was definite improvement.

What other blades do you have?
In addition to Nacet, I have Astra SP, Gillette Platinum, BIC Chrome, KAI, Feather, Wilkinson Sword, Persona Platinum and Derby Extra.

I did try it with an Astra SP yesterday.

The shave was more comfortable, was able to get closer, but still ended up with some weepers and lingering irritation.

Will try again tomorrow!

I had the same reaction. By all means try a different, not as sharp a blade. You might also adjust your angle to shallow from steep, if you haven't already. The Wizamet blade and 7 O'clock green worked well for me.
Changing to Astra SP helped, will try some others as well.

I have been playing with the angles - steeper is more comfortable, but doesn't seem to get very close no mater how many passes.

Welcome to the journals section!

Been shaving with the Blackbird this week, with a Nacet blade, since that's what I've been using lately.

Can't seem to get the hang of it. Aggressive feeling, but somehow not very efficient, and also prone to weepers when shaving against the grain.

Will try another blade perhaps, but generally don't like having to be so careful and and still not getting a very close shave.

Am thinking this one is probably not for me.

I started about 3 months ago and from my experience, you sort of have to let your face go thru a few phases of irritations, weepers, and tenderness for your face to adapt and adjust.

In my case thinking back, shaving soap made a huge difference in my shaves and of course all the helpful members who has guided, tricked, taught, and encourage me not to give up when I was going thru almost the same stage as you are.

Even our initial intention of saving a few bucks to the razors purchased and blades used are almost the same!

* side note : To all the Uncles and Brothers who has helped me guided, mentored, and gave me courage and motivation to learn how to shave, You Uncles have no idea how Thankful and indebted I am to you guys! I forgive you all for all the pranks, jabs, tricks, and rabbits holes threw at me during my first month!

I know I'm suppose to stick to the same razor but I didn't have much time and needed a quick shave. Pulled out the Yates 921 that was loaded with a Nacet (5) and EH plate.

Whipped up a nice lather and did two passes. Was so much more comfortable than the Blackbird. Also felt a tad closer.

Even though I didn't have the time, curiosity got the best of me and I did a 3rd pass against the grain. No weepers, and almost BBS, but I did notice a fair amount of irritation with the aftershave balm (Nivea Cooling) applied.

The Blackbird is loved by many, but for me I just feel like I would rather use any other razor I own. I may just return it while I can, or pass it on to someone else. I feel like I would have a hard time recommending it though...

Welcome to the journals section!

I started about 3 months ago and from my experience, you sort of have to let your face go thru a few phases of irritations, weepers, and tenderness for your face to adapt and adjust.

In my case thinking back, shaving soap made a huge difference in my shaves and of course all the helpful members who has guided, tricked, taught, and encourage me not to give up when I was going thru almost the same stage as you are.

Even our initial intention of saving a few bucks to the razors purchased and blades used are almost the same!

* side note : To all the Uncles and Brothers who has helped me guided, mentored, and gave me courage and motivation to learn how to shave, You Uncles have no idea how Thankful and indebted I am to you guys! I forgive you all for all the pranks, jabs, tricks, and rabbits holes threw at me during my first month!
Thanks for the feedback!

I stared out using Stirling Soap from the get-go. I'm about 5 months in from my first DE shave. And I'm just about finished with my first 3.5oz tub of soap. I did have a small sample tube from the dollar shave club of shaving "cream" (not gel, or foam - more like a lotion) that I tried and that was terrible - so I threw it out. So I can confirm that soap makes a difference.

Purchased a can of Barbasol (purple can) for my son to use -- should try that myself and see how it compares. Most people seem to think that one works alright.

The Blackbird is loved by many, but for me I just feel like I would rather use any other razor I own. I may just return it while I can, or pass it on to someone else. I feel like I would have a hard time recommending it though...
The advice I got when I was struggling with the Lupo95 was give yourself time and improve on your technique! Uncle Boris was the one who advises me that you might need a few battle scars before you can tame a razor, my hero at that time AimlessWanderer provided a great guide on shaving angles and methods that I have read. I also know that a few members like T Bone and SpaceMonkey who the BB doesn't work for them. So part of the fun is finding and testing till you get your holy grail razor!

This is my short summary of my shaving adventure if you have time to read.

lasta

Blade Biter
The advice I got when I was struggling with the Lupo95 was give yourself time and improve on your technique! Uncle Boris was the one who advises me that you might need a few battle scars before you can tame a razor, my hero at that time AimlessWanderer provided a great guide on shaving angles and methods that I have read. I also know that a few members like T Bone and SpaceMonkey who the BB doesn't work for them. So part of the fun is finding and testing till you get your holy grail razor!

540 posts in 2 months is not short!

TLDR: how to get better at shaving? - Shave.

540 posts in 2 months is not short!

TLDR: how to get better at shaving? - Shave.
Time for the janitor to show off his knowledge!

If you click on the link I provided on B&B it will take you to the short summary Post #385 of my first month of shaving!

I will not be segwaying him to read my entire journal, I usually spread the good word of GSB thru segwaying! Tho my efforts might not show its immediate effect, words are spread and discussions are created.

You have the best Janitor with computer skills, advertising, and marketing, but yet you kept on shunning him! Shame!

BTW TLDR is reserved for the spammer ABP, a majority of his post, I have to scroll at least 4 times to read everything on my phone!

If you want good results and maximum economy:

1. Buy one razor, learn to use it and stick with it. You only need one. A vintage Gillette Tech or SuperSpeed should be available at a flea market, antique shop or on the web for less than $20. A Lord L5 is available on the web for $7. All fantastic razors.

2. There are a lot of brushes out there for under $10.

3. I lather with ordinary bath soap scraps from around the house. It’s free and makes great lather.

4. If you don’t want to lather, there’s no shame in using canned foam. Gillette Foamy or Barbasol are excellent for $1 to $2 per can.

5. You can experiment with many blades or you can buy some Personna Lab Blues which work on the vast majority of faces.

The key to making this work and remaining economical is to keep it simple and stay off Badger & Blade. The posters here will try and convince you that you need more stuff and that that perfect shave is just another purchase away, or that you need to adopt some screwball technique to achieve Nirvana. There is no perfect shave and Nirvana is merely a state of mind. I advise you to acquire a simple kit, learn to use it, and never come back to B&B.

Last edited:

Thanks for sharing!

I suspect that the BB is just not the best for me. Feels like too much work with little to show for it.

1. Buy one razor, learn to use it and stick with it. You only need one. A vintage Gillette Tech or SuperSpeed should be available at a flea market, antique shop or on the web for less than $20. A Lord L5 is available on the web for $7. All fantastic razors.

3. I lather with ordinary bath soap scraps from around the house. It’s free and makes great lather.

4. If you don’t want to lather, there’s no shame in using canned foam. Gillette Foamy or Barbasol are excellent for $1 to $2 per can.

5. You can experiment with many blades or you can buy some Personna Lab Blues which work on the vast majority of faces.

The key to making this work and remaining economical is to keep it simple and stay off Badger & Blade. The posters here will try and convince you that you need more stuff and that that perfect shave is just another purchase away, or that you need to adopt some screwball technique to achieve Nirvana. There is no perfect shave and Nirvana is merely a state of mind. I advise you to acquire a simple kit, learn to use it, and never come back to B&B.

I'll probably keep coming back... It does add to the "fun" and "community" factor.

But your point is well taken!

Went back to the BB today with Astra SP (2) blade. Made a point to only go WTD and XTG. Took about 4 passes before I was moderately satisfied with the shave.

Overall I'm just not impressed with the performance of this razor. 🤷‍♂️ (It does look nice!)

Planning to finish out the week with it, then send it back, unless I come across some breakthrough in technique that suddenly makes it better than my other razors -- though that seems unlikely!

Best post I've read yet on this forum and a top 5 post I've read on any forum ever.

Thank you. I am honored by your praise.
Well we all know that forums fuel the fire of acquiring more stuff, and we all know that in the grand scheme the “stuff” doesn’t really make us happy. So it’s always nice when someone reminds you to keep it simple. At least I always like it. By the way, can anyone tell me what the bacon emoji is supposed to mean?

Last edited:
Top Bottom