What's new

Anybody watching 'Stranger Things'?

My wife and I watched it last week and thought it was great. The girl that played Eleven was awesome. Rest of the cast was good too.

Legion

Staff member
I have now watched the first two episodes. Pretty good.

I quite like the John Carpenter style opening credits as well.

It's good how Netflix release the whole series at once. I think binging is the best way to watch these things.

We binge watched it over about three days. It was awesome! You do get nostalgic about the 80s when watching this one. And there are many nods to Stephen King, like the intro and movie posters dotted around. We're eagerly awaiting season 2. ;)

My daughter and I are enjoying the series and have made it through the first two episodes. Maybe it's just me but does anyone else think that Winona Ryder is a weak point in this show? I find her performance to be distracting, it's so whiny and kind of annoying. I understand that the parent of a missing child would be frantic but as a whole, I kind of find her performance verging on over the top and I don't really buy her in this role, I think she was miscast. Maybe she redeems herself some time after the first two episodes, I'm hoping so. From what I've seen so far, this is a dark story similar to ET in several ways. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the series.

Yep, the wife and I enjoyed Stranger Things, viewing it over 2 days. Reminded me of ET, Super 8, etc.

I also liked how they left the end of the show, left me looking forward to a 2nd season.

Totally with you on Winona, I usually enjoy her work but in Stranger Things she could have easily been replaced by pretty much any actress.

Maybe it's just me but does anyone else think that Winona Ryder is a weak point in this show?

My wife and I are too old to have seen Winona in anything else, so we didn't know much about her besides the name. We found her somewhat annoying at first, but we both thought she was great when she goes batsh*t crazy later on. Besides the nods to King and Spielberg, it also reminded us of a darker version of the Eerie Indiana tv series from the early 1990's. I wouldn't be surprised if they also got some ideas from The Door to December, a 1985 book by Dean Koontz (as Richard Paige). Lots of 80's references to look for.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
As I understand it Winona's character was already a little....loopy. Just right on the edge. Now she's just fell off that edge. She doesn't bother me.

I'm up to episode 4 and really like it so far. I get the feeling Netflix will be competing with HBO soon over Emmys. They are putting out really great shows.

Legion

Staff member
Finished.

Three day binge.

Good show. Hopefully when they make the next season it will be an entirely new story, not a sequel, or a continuation. This one needs to stand alone.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Finished this today. Very good!

I agree with David. Season 2 needs to be completely new. I probably would not enjoy season 2 if it's just a continuation.

It was pretty good. Reminded me of Spielberg and Stephen King from the late 80s(and I think it was kind of a homage to those type of movies). I thought the casting was pretty good and they already announced they will be doing another season. Ill be sure to check season 2.

I didn't read all of these posts for fear of spoilers, but I am half way through the season. That show is incredible with awesome production value. This will be a show I will look forward to continuing in a year...:sad:

Fantastic show. They nailed the costumes and hairstyles. If you grew up in the 80s and watched fantasy/sci-fi, you owe it to yourself to watch this show. Heck even my kids - age 12 and 9 - are into it!

Fantastic show. The child actors were all first rate. With The Killing, Jessica Jones, and now this, its amazing how good NetFlix is at presenting entertaining television.

Top Bottom