What's new

Here’s a nice thing…

Which I’d kinda forgotten I had tbh; an old-ish (1910) silver tobacco tin. And I’m amazed by how well the squeeze mechanism still works, it's all rather lovely.

But does anybody here actually use this kind of thing nowadays? Wouldn't the tobacco dry out very quickly? And/or taste funny?

IMG_3425.jpg

Which I’d kinda forgotten I had tbh; an old-ish (1910) silver tobacco tin. And I’m amazed by how well the squeeze mechanism still works, it's all rather lovely.

But does anybody here actually use this kind of thing nowadays? Wouldn't the tobacco dry out very quickly? And/or taste funny?

View attachment 1803476

Something that size was probably held the right amount for having a smoke through a single day. I really like it, but if it were me it would be a conversation piece at home considering how nice it is.

Larry

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It’s probably meant for only keeping tobacco for a day or two, vs long term. If it’s Sterling it’s quite valuable to the antique collecting community.

Something that size was probably held the right amount for having a smoke through a single day. I really like it, but if it were me it would be a conversation piece at home considering how nice it is.

Larry

It’s probably meant for only keeping tobacco for a day or two, vs long term. If it’s Sterling it’s quite valuable to the antique collecting community.

Ah yeah fair points. It’s about the size of a pack of cigarettes, so I suppose for the avid pipe smoker that would only have been a day or two!

(And yep - it is Sterling. That’s the only reason I know the date, the hallmark is Birmingham 1910).

Looks more like a snuff box to me.

certainly a snuff box...dear lord I can't fathom snorting tobacco, done it once and it was horrible, brown boogers for days and a nicotine craving immediately after.

This kind of thing is a tobacco box I believe:

IMG_3479.jpeg

Old British snuff boxes, at least the ones you’d carry around, tended to be smaller, thicker sided, and (for some reason) squarer.

Also - it belonged to my grandfather, who didn’t use snuff, but certainly did smoke a pipe as long as I knew him!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Ah yeah fair points. It’s about the size of a pack of cigarettes, so I suppose for the avid pipe smoker that would only have been a day or two!

(And yep - it is Sterling. That’s the only reason I know the date, the hallmark is Birmingham 1910).

This kind of thing is a tobacco box I believe:

View attachment 1804539

Old British snuff boxes, at least the ones you’d carry around, tended to be smaller, thicker sided, and (for some reason) squarer.

Also - it belonged to my grandfather, who didn’t use snuff, but certainly did smoke a pipe as long as I knew him!
Every snuff tin I've ever seen is about an inch and a half wide. There'd be no reason to carry snuff (something you use by the small pinch) in a huge tin like that.
If you look online, there are a few bigger ones, but not THAT much bigger.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

View attachment 1803476

That's beautiful.

Pipe tobacco was commonly sold in pocket tins. This is generally the same thing, for the better-heeled pipe man of that era.

It sure beats the sandwich bag I tote around!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
But does anybody here actually use this kind of thing nowadays?
Yes, but yours is much, much, much cooler. Here’s a link to the modern day version.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
1910. Most gentlemen then also carried along a pocket watch. The finer ones were a bit thinner than that tin, but not too much so.

He'd have to be careful to not have too many cocktails at the club.

Because if someone asked him the time, it might be time to pick up the tobacco.

That's beautiful.

Pipe tobacco was commonly sold in pocket tins. This is generally the same thing, for the better-heeled pipe man of that era.

It sure beats the sandwich bag I tote around!

Ah yes, tbh I think my grandfather only used it on high days and holidays, when he was trying to impress people. More normally he just had endless tins of Gold Block, sometimes decanted into a little leather pouch if he was out and about.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Miners often used tobacco tins like this (if it's brass, and non-sparking). While small ones were used for nasal snuff, larger ones were used for twist/rope tobacco. With the twist, they would chew the stuff at the coal face, and save the chewed pieces to dry out and smoke above ground.

i would totally use this... this is an awesome find.
i wouldn't worry too much about tobacco drying up since you'd probably be storing a limited amount, just enough for a couple smokes!

Top Bottom