What's new

WWE Royal Rumble, and wrong message?

Been watching Professional Wrestling over 60 years, it is not sport, it ids "sports entertainment". Maybe I am wrong but last night was typical mixed message.

WWE preaches to children no Bullying, being Honest. The shows do the opposite, and their young audience is getting wrong message. About CHEAT, HONESTY, and BULLING.

Tired of the WWE its too predictable.

Think the only real thing about WWE are Injuries, Deaths, and they are Profitable Venture, like the NEW AWE.

You do know wrestling is fake, has always been fake, and has never been know for its positive messages to children, right?

It's nothing new.

Randy Savage made a career out of playing up domestic violence against women.

The Godfather was a pimp who came out with different working girls every match.

7f7cf58bb6cb0a0bb1c9507708361ca9_crop_exact.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is an honest misunderstanding of DesertIguana's post or just an attempt at levity. In case it's the first, DI's initial post admitted WWE is sports entertainment (i.e., scripted events). However, DI is absolutely right that WWE is not fake in terms of the physical feats completed by the wrestlers. There's no CGI, green screen, wires, etc. There aren't even multiple takes to get a sequence right. The shows are essentially live theater with acrobatics performed by really physically large and/or strong men (and some really strong women of varying sizes).

Also, just because a WWE contest's outcome is scripted, that doesn't mean all the moves are scripted. In many cases, the wrestlers are coming up with their moves on the fly in the ring. As such, it's not just live theater with acrobatics but improv theater with acrobatics. It takes considerable skill and artistry to be able to pull it off and make it look realistic.

While I'm more of a fan of unscripted combative sports, I can absolutely respect the athleticism and abilities of professional wrestlers.

Anti-heroes and rebels are often celebrated in our culture (especially in storytelling), though. Take the mythical Robin Hood, for instance. He was a thief. Sure, he gave to the poor, but he was still a thief. His anti-authoritarian nature is part of his appeal.

In real life, Jesse James; Bonnie and Clyde; Al Capone; and other infamous American outlaws are "celebrated" for "sticking it to the man." In some respects, many people celebrate these outlaws for doing what they wish they could do, thus allowing the people to live vicariously through these outlaws.

The WWE's performances are tapping into this antiauthoritarian desire.

I'm not sure if this is an honest misunderstanding of DesertIguana's post or just an attempt at levity. In case it's the first, DI's initial post admitted WWE is sports entertainment (i.e., scripted events). However, DI is absolutely right that WWE is not fake in terms of the physical feats completed by the wrestlers. There's no CGI, green screen, wires, etc. There aren't even multiple takes to get a sequence right. The shows are essentially live theater with acrobatics performed by really physically large and/or strong men (and some really strong women of varying sizes).

Also, just because a WWE contest's outcome is scripted, that doesn't mean all the moves are scripted. In many cases, the wrestlers are coming up with their moves on the fly in the ring. As such, it's not just live theater with acrobatics but improv theater with acrobatics. It takes considerable skill and artistry to be able to pull it off and make it look realistic.

While I'm more of a fan of unscripted combative sports, I can absolutely respect the athleticism and abilities of professional wrestlers.

I know my friend, I just love that meme. I watched WWE until I was 15 I think, I outgrew the stories and “feuds” pretty soon. Also, I hated it when they introduced a ton of new characters and the ones you were used to got less appearances. It’s like watching a tv show and you get a whole new cast for the next season. I can still appreciate the physical prowess of the participants, but I rather watch a short clip on YouTube than an entire show

I know my friend, I just love that meme. I watched WWE until I was 15 I think, I outgrew the stories and “feuds” pretty soon. Also, I hated it when they introduced a ton of new characters and the ones you were used to got less appearances. It’s like watching a tv show and you get a whole new cast for the next season. I can still appreciate the physical prowess of the participants, but I rather watch a short clip on YouTube than an entire show
It's been years since I watched professional wrestling, but I do have fond memories of watching it when I was a kid. It was entertaining. But after a while, I gravitated toward combat sports, instead. Still, it was interesting when Ken Shamrock jumped from MMA to WWE. I mean, the man was a legit championship fighter who opted to perform in a different sandbox.

Top Bottom