What's new

Paisley ties

Are paisley ties out of style now? I have a few and sometimes feel like I'm going back in time 15 years when I wear one. Sometimes under a sweater vest so not much of it shows. I'm a conservative, so none of my ties a (gaudy or flashy) not sure of the right word here. But I'm curious. I also have ties from the 90's that have 'brushed colors' or multi-colors', seems like you don't see them often anymore. Anyway, I'm looking for input on how to look up with the current fashions. thanks

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Photos would help us tell if these are stylish or "Herb Tarleck" ties.

I have a few old paisley ties and 2 bought recently. They still get complements from the ladies at the different hospitals I work.

Paisley kinda comes and goes. Probably not overly popular right now, but still a classic look, so I'd say wear with pride.

I love paisley ties! That said, larger prints don't work for me, and I usually wear them with a vest so that they don't overpower. I think that the biggest issue with paisley is to match the pattern size to the width of the tie.

I had a few paisley ties, but they date back a twenty years or so. So, I passed them along and have tried to update the collection a bit now that I am getting more dressed up for work.

Here are some snap shots of the collection as it currently stands -

$P1070433.jpg
$P1070435.jpg

As you can see, I have gotten a bit more "adventurous" in my older age. Not sure which, if any of these ties are in or out of style, but I like them and choose to wear them on a particular day or for a particular event "as the mood" strikes me.

Tim

Last edited:
Patterns on patterns have become popular lately. I still cringe a little when I see it. Not something I can pull off. I say wear what you like though (or maybe what your wife likes if you're married).

I started wearing ties in the 90s, and still have some of those old ties (I can't believe I'm saying old and 90s together). I haven't worked up the guts to wear some of them, but it's because they were really cheap ties I bought when I was broke. I do have maybe two or three really nice ones that were gifts, but none of them are like the old Rush Limbaugh ties with the loud colors and all that. One of them is paisley. I might give it a try with a suit the next time I have to visit a client.

I think this guy can pull off a paisley tie and even a paisley purse!

proxy.php

That's Jason King (Peter Wynegarde), in case you don't recognize him.

For the record, I have never in my life worn a cravat, and I plan on dying a cravat virgin.

Last edited:
I question the habit of wearing ties. What's it good for? Hanging oneself from a door knob after a hard day at the office? In terms of visual desig it's an arrow that points right at one's downstairs bits, unless you have a pot belly. In either case it seems very odd.

I question the habit of wearing ties. What's it good for? Hanging oneself from a door knob after a hard day at the office? In terms of visual desig it's an arrow that points right at one's downstairs bits, unless you have a pot belly. In either case it seems very odd.
Further hide an unpressed shirt? I've always wondered why ties, especially since scarves are available for warmth. The only thing I can figure is that they were another part of avoiding ironing.

Theories about the origin of the tie abound:

hides the Adam's apple
prevents bugs from falling down your shirt
points downstairs, as already mentioned
Prevents cold necks
Can be cut off by crazed wimmenfolk

I wear paisley ties all the time it looks different from what other people wear and I always get compliments on them and get borrowed by friends who need a tie for an event as long as they are not loud or obnoxious ties you can never go wrong

Wear paisley for sure! IMO these are classic patterns. That said, I am one for style (in my case classic) rather than the latest fashion!

Top Bottom