What's new

Strop widths, designs, materials discussion and what is available.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Just wanted to update my thoughts on strop widths, designs, and materials and what I offer and why as I get many requests for different variations and on simply how to choose between models and leather and options.

While my website mainly highlights 3" models that is because the market seems to want wider strops. I will gladly offer any of my leather strops in a 2 1/2" width and can even do 2" models.

I mainly offer horsehide and steerhide as these have been proven materials over 18+ years of making my strops and seem to stand up to the test of time. I will occasionally offer other leathers but am hesitant to sell something that is not going to offer some advantage over the tried and true horse and steer. One is not "better" than the other and both do the same job in the end. They feel different in use and give different feedback but both will put the same edge on your razor.

Surface finish varies from leather type to type and even between each tannery run. Steerhide is usually a smooth eggshell finish and fairly firm. It may be stiff or sometimes mote flexible but a fairly firm surface still. Horsehide has been varying quite a bit. occasionally a smooth eggshell finish but more often a gently brushed, peach fuzz surface that gives a sort of velvety draw. It too has a firm surface temper and usually fairly stiff. Horsehide will also have much greater color mottling and variation now days and rare it comes in a completely uniform color. I do a "Russian" style roughout strop with utilized the flesh side or skived or shaved hides and gives a fairly coarse feel some desire. probably best on heavy, "meat chopper" razors. In horsehide it is a very firm, hard surface, in steerhide it is a softer, grippy heavier draw surface.

I have not offered Cordovan as the raw material cost and small yield of a Cordovan shell would add tremendously to the cost of a strop and for the performance I can't justify charging that for a strop. A large Horween shell (roughly $300) may yield 3 strop bodies if there are no flaws or wrinkles in it.....so that is $100 cost just for the piece of leather if the shell yields 3 pcs. I am still open to trying it if there is enough demand but I am not sure "the juice is worth the squeezing" when it comes to Cordovan LOL.

Webbing/cloth components. Now days not everyone wants or uses cloth when stropping so I now offer any of my models as a 1 component, single strop. Just the leather, ends and hardware, no cotton or linen.

Webbing comes in standard widths from the mill with 2" and 3" cotton being about the only thing left on the market now days. I am hoping I can track down 2 1/2" again but it is a specialty size and rarely milled. Genuine Flax Linen is nearly non-existent now. The 2 1/2" sold out years ago, then the 3", and it is unlikely the mill will be running it again. Flax fiber is hard to source and expensive. The mill wants a 10,000 metre order before running most webbing.

I myself like the traditional plain end strops of the past, 2 1/2" x 24" with no D-ring grips or handles. I do occasionally run those but there is little demand so I don't do them often. D-rings make for a nice easy to hold grip. Even for those with arthritis or carpal tunnel issues no real grip or squeeze is needed, just loop a few fingers loosely through the ring and curl. Handles make an attractive grip and on wide, 3" strops seem to elongate the look and make it seem more proportional than the shorter D-rings.

I have been trying to hold costs down as best I can and try to offer a sale occasionally when the market gets slow. My costs are going up constantly. Hardware is up about 20%, my cotton webbing has nearly doubled, and horsehide went up 30% in the last year. My last roll of linen was 3 times the usual cost and there is no more to be found now.

Hopefully this answers questions for those curious or wanting to place an order and I welcome questions or discussions in this thread or by direct email.

Top Bottom