What's new

First time using Astra SP's, happy so far

I had a pack of Astra SP's I got as a sample with an order. They've been sitting in the medicine cabinet for months now and I finally tried them tonight in my 37C. My go to is usually Feathers or Gillette blacks, but I was blown away with the smoothness and sharpness with the Astras'. I ordered 100 for cheap, it will save me some money in the long run, as I don't get many shaves out of a blade with my beard.

That's been the best blade for me as well. However, I'm about to try Gillette Silver Blues and hoping they might be even better. Fingers crossed.

Wait until you get to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th shave. At least for me, the Astra SP really kicks into gear when it gets a little mileage on it.

I like Astra SPs - they're in my regular rotation
Only 3 good shaves per blade, but having a dark beard like wire, WTG,XTG,ATG followed by Buffing N-S & S-N everywhere below the jawline is a lot of work for any blade -
Astra SPs perform well and at less than €9,00/100 including delivery from Turkey to Spain they're very affordable

Astra SPs has one of the best cutting edges around. 30+ BBS shaves from one blade makes the Astra grsat.

The Astra SS is also a great blade. I'm on shave 13 with one right now.

I love Astra SPs. I had very rough shaves before because I was using blades I didn't get along with. When I got a smooth shave with an Astra SP, suddenly it all clicked. Not every blade is going to agree with your beard and skin type, and that's okay.

If you like the Astras, you should try the Grafco Med Preps! I know where you can get some of them for FREE!

Sorry - the Grafcos are awful (nothing like the Astras), I'm just trying to get rid of them. LOL :blush:

I love Astra SPs. I had very rough shaves before because I was using blades I didn't get along with. When I got a smooth shave with an Astra SP, suddenly it all clicked. Not every blade is going to agree with your beard and skin type, and that's okay.

I agree with that, so true. I started out with Isreali Personna's years ago, progressed to Feathers along the way with Gillette blacks, all good blades, but I'm finding the Astras are a good in between for smoothness and they are sharp. Been noticing lately this last batch of Feathers definately are a little rough. Could be me too though. I just shaved tonight with the Astra in my Gillette New long comb head, awesome shave. By the way, I have very coarse beard and sensitive skin.

If you like the Astras, you should try the Grafco Med Preps! I know where you can get some of them for FREE!

Sorry - the Grafcos are awful (nothing like the Astras), I'm just trying to get rid of them. LOL :blush:

I could always make shims out of them.:laugh:

Astra SPs has one of the best cutting edges around. 30+ BBS shaves from one blade makes the Astra grsat.

The Astra SS is also a great blade. I'm on shave 13 with one right now.
Not hating here at all...... But Dang man, I don't know how guys get away with so many shaves on one blade. It must be skill, because I suck at going over 3-4 shaves with the same blade. My hat's off.

Then again, whether I'm butchering wild game, cutting meat for the serving plater r slicing a tomatoe, I always hit the sharpening stone before a cutting "session" and then perhaps use a steel just to straighten the edge 2-3 times when butchering a deer. I figure the same principle applies to thin razors on my face.
:biggrin1::biggrin1:

Not hating here at all...... But Dang man, I don't know how guys get away with so many shaves on one blade. It must be skill, because I suck at going over 3-4 shaves with the same blade. My hat's off.
There are a lot of variables. I have a pretty heavy beard. My youngest son barely has any. I bet my daily shave dragging a blade across my face just once puts more wear on a blade than a full shave does for him every third day.

I started DE shaving about 2 and a half years ago. Since the beginning, I have washed my face in the shower with a face soap. I lather it in my hands and then work it into my face and beard real good, it gets creamy, like a mask I guess. Then I rinse off my face and get out. Then I apply my homemade preshave oil. My lather is pretty slick.

The other factor that I contribute to longevity is the razor. The NEW SC and postwar Tech are the smoothest and takes blades to high numbers with ease.

That's about it, in a nut shell.

I had a pack of Astra SP's I got as a sample with an order. They've been sitting in the medicine cabinet for months now and I finally tried them tonight in my 37C. My go to is usually Feathers or Gillette blacks, but I was blown away with the smoothness and sharpness with the Astras'. I ordered 100 for cheap, it will save me some money in the long run, as I don't get many shaves out of a blade with my beard.

I started with those and I like them a lot. How many uses can you get out of them? I got 2 uses before they got irritating (I'm female and shave my appendages).

You may like Kai blades too.

What razor do you use?

I used those in a Muhle R89.

proxy.php

Top Bottom