What's new

New Astra SP from India.

So, recently I thought I got lucky and ordered 6 packs of a hundred Astra SP blades that to my knowledge were made in Russia.
When I got the blades the boxes said made in India. Gave the new blades a try but to me they were not as smooth as the Russian ones. By the time the third shave came on they really tore up my face (hardly ever have weepers but this time I did). At first they seemed to be sharper but I guess they tricked me. I also developed some sort of redness around my chin.
Anybody else have the same experience?
Had a shave today with a Permasharp from Russia in my Muhle R94 and no redness, no discomfort, just a damn near BBS.
Happy to say I can send the Astras back but not happy the Russian ones are gone for good.
Glad I still have 600 or so in my collection and even better, the Permasharps are a very nice replacement for me.

lasta

Blade Biter
Modern Perma Sharps are (IMO) amongst the trinity of best blades ever made, I'm not surpised you like them.

As for availability, AFAIK only European brands are made elsewhere. IE Russian Wizamets are still made in 2023. Since most of our fellow B&B'er buy from the grey market, I'm not worried.

I will be using each of my Russian Astra SP blades until it's uncomfortable to shave with. I used to throw the blade out at 4 or 5 shaves because they were so cheap. Last night I had my 12th smooth head and face shave with my Russian Astra SP.

I will be interested to see how many smooth shaves I will get from the India version, if any at all. So far I have only used one blade from India and it is TERRIBLE IMO. I only get one good shave out of RK blades and they are done. I personally think Henson is crazy sending RK blades with their great razor. RK blades don't deserve to be in the same box as a Henson razor.

Good discussion!

All I can add is that I am happy that I have a good stash of St. Petersburg Astra SPs!! :thumbup1::thumbup1:
Yup. Just checked and I should be ok for a good while. Wanted to buy the other lot so I wouldn't ever run out.
This thread is not to knock the new ones, they just didn't boat well for me and I've read others that can't feel a difference with the Russian ones.
Was just curious to see what other peoples thoughts would be.

My first shave with an Indian Astra was a little rougher than I am used to having with the PPI Astras, but by shave #2 it had smoothed out fine, and it gave me some really nice shaves after that. I was willing to chalk the slightly rougher shave 1 to it not matching up well with that particular razor.

Neither version is one that would be included in my absolute favorites, as both seem a little less efficient than my top-tier blades. I'd say both are 'good enough' and usually stay in my collection due to price and easy availability.

I haven't retested any further, though.

I will be using each of my Russian Astra SP blades until it's uncomfortable to shave with. I used to throw the blade out at 4 or 5 shaves because they were so cheap. Last night I had my 12th smooth head and face shave with my Russian Astra SP.

I will be interested to see how many smooth shaves I will get from the India version, if any at all. So far I have only used one blade from India and it is TERRIBLE IMO. I only get one good shave out of RK blades and they are done. I personally think Henson is crazy sending RK blades with their great razor. RK blades don't deserve to be in the same box as a Henson razor.
Henson made a head scratching decision with this one.

... Thom

My first shave with an Indian Astra was a little rougher than I am used to having with the PPI Astras, but by shave #2 it had smoothed out fine, and it gave me some really nice shaves after that. I was willing to chalk the slightly rougher shave 1 to it not matching up well with that particular razor.

Neither version is one that would be included in my absolute favorites, as both seem a little less efficient than my top-tier blades. I'd say both are 'good enough' and usually stay in my collection due to price and easy availability.

I haven't retested any further, though.
That kinda echoes my experience. They seemed sharper/less smooth for the first shave, a little better with the second one but for me the third shave was really bad. Wouldn't shave, me pressing harder and drawing blood.
I then used a Russian one for the next shave and all was good.
Weird how much opinions differ. For this experiment I used the razor the Russian SP's worked great in. A Gillette 500 HD.

That kinda echoes my experience. They seemed sharper/less smooth for the first shave, a little better with the second one but for me the third shave was really bad. Wouldn't shave, me pressing harder and drawing blood.
I then used a Russian one for the next shave and all was good.
Weird how much opinions differ. For this experiment I used the razor the Russian SP's worked great in. A Gillette 500 HD.
Yep. Direct experience trumps everything. If they don't work for you, then they just don't work for you.

Funny thing is that the RK blades are popular with barbershops in India.
They use the blade once and throw.

My experience with RK was the same. They are good for only one shave. After that, they transform into broken glass!

Funny thing is that the RK blades are popular with barbershops in India.
They use the blade once and throw.

My experience with RK was the same. They are good for only one shave. After that, they transform into broken glass!
This actually makes a lot of sense since they are only using them for one shave. Maybe they get them cheaper than we do, because I can still name blades under $10 for 100 that shave better and last longer.

I have never used a blade that degrades faster than the RK !

This actually makes a lot of sense since they are only using them for one shave. Maybe they get them cheaper than we do, because I can still name blades under $10 for 100 that shave better and last longer.

And the party line from Henson is that 100 blades lasts you 2 years :out:

As much as they're doing with their marketing blitz to convert cartridge shavers (and I was one), they're undoing it with these claims.

... Thom

Yup...that's my experience with them. Definitely one and done!

They cost about $2/100 in India!

Henson made a head scratching decision with this one.

... Thom
I agree. Tried the RK blades that came with my Henson, and found them really rough and tuggy. Tested in a couple of different razors and same result. Shame of it is, my Henson also came as a special deal with 100 RK blades, so I have a century of these bastards that I won't use.

If anyone is an RK blade fan out there, and wants to trade, let me know.

I agree. Tried the RK blades that came with my Henson, and found them really rough and tuggy. Tested in a couple of different razors and same result. Shame of it is, my Henson also came as a special deal with 100 RK blades, so I have a century of these bastards that I won't use.

If anyone is an RK blade fan out there, and wants to trade, let me know.
^^^ x2 ^^^ This stack of blades sits and taunts me. Maybe I should load one in my Overlander. It makes every blade batter.

... Thom

For 2024 and beyond , at .10 a piece, I am one and done With Amazon sourced Astra SP Russian and/or Indian.

You bleed on one shirt one time on shave 1+ x and your savings is gone.

Life is waay to short to be stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.

Having never used either an Indian Astra SP, or an RK blade I obviously can't speak to that. But I don't think a blade can be judged on the fact that it is tossed after 1 shave in a barbershop, which is probably done for sanitation purposes. I for one wouldn't care to be shaved with a blade that had been used on someone else's face.
A straight would be different, it can easily be wiped clean, whereas a DE would have to be disassembled.
Just my two cents. ;)

Top Bottom